Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: My Castlevania 3 romhack  (Read 17488 times)

Offline Drakon

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« on: February 18, 2014, 01:59:44 PM »
I made a romhack of castlevania 3, this recording is it running on my av famicom with a nesrgb to generate s-video.  The cartridge is a real vrc6 cart that's been converted from madara into my cv3 romhack.  I converted madara because my hack has sram saving since I expanded the game to play every stage in sequence.  That's right, no more passwords, castlevania 3 with saving on real hardware, it even saves what loop you're in.  I used reVamp for most of the custom palette stuff but the rest of the changes and some of the palette changes are pure assembly reprogramming using a hex editor and fceux debugger.  I made some of the later bosses do less damage when you get hit to make the game more balanced.  In this hack you start as alucard with the freeze weapon and mr belmont is your backup character.  Since you play every stage in the game you can pick up any side character you want, including a side character of alucard to give you two alucards for no reason.  I changed which music tracks are played during which stages / scenes.  There's other minor changes.  I probably won't ever release this patch, just don't feel like it.

Drakon Castlevania 3j Revamp Hack Playthrough
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:52:31 PM by Drakon »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 02:25:26 PM »
So the first thing you do here on the forum is dangle your shitty rom hack in front of us, but don't let anyone have it and expect someone to pay money for it?

Get lost.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 02:33:30 PM »
"I probably won't ever release this rom unless money is involved to compensate for my time and effort.

News flash! You won't get a penny for it! You made this romhack for yourself, congratulations!

Seriously dude... Google "Esco Castlevania". You see that HUMONGOUS effort he is doing? Y'know how much he is charging for it? ZERO. He's actually PAYING PEOPLE to finish the game and release for free. FREE.

After that Google "Mig Lecarde Chronicles". Yes. Awesome game. Awesome music. Awesome gameplay. FREE.

Now, go and Google "Castlevania hack". You see all those hits there? They're all FREE. And many are MUCH better than simple palette recolors.

Then you come here, recolor some palettes, makes Alucard be able to get another Alucard for no goddamn reason, and expects people to pay for something that you didn't even create...

I'm not telling you it's wrong to charge for your effort. I'm telling you to charge for something that you CREATED FROM SCRATCH, not some good for nothing palette changes and bugs as "features".

Tsk. Dream on.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:40:42 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »
Not to be rude man, but it is pretty absurd to expect to get money for this.

We have people around here who put way more time and effort into hacks, fan games, and original music and remixes. There are members here remaking Castlevania 3 from the ground up. And this is all for free to fellow fans. None of us expect to get paid for this kind of stuff. We all do it out of our love for Castlevania, and the pure enjoyment of it. Not to fill our pockets.

I think it's cool that you did this. But it's frowned upon on this forum to make first time posts that plug your project. 
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Drakon

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:17:40 PM »
I was never asking people here for money.  I'm just saying why I'm not releasing it, it's my work and I can choose to release it or not.  I didn't make this to "fill my pockets", that's a pretty bold assumption.  I thought some people might appreciate what I did, I guess that's not what this forum is about.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:41:47 PM by Drakon »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 03:47:19 PM »
I have the highest regard for fan work. What I don't care for is someone trying to make a profit off of a game that they don't have any legal right to.

I was never asking people here for money I didn't expect you people to have any.

You think we are all poor, or unemployed?

I didn't make this to "fill my pockets", that's a pretty bold assumption.

You didn't?

I probably won't ever release this rom unless money is involved to compensate for my time and effort.

This is a forum on a thing called the internet. Pretty slick huh? The nice thing about it is that when you post your messages here, we can read them with our eyes!

If you people don't appreciate fan work and cry whenever someone doesn't post their work for free that's fine, I'll just take my work to sites that are full of fans and not freeloaders.

This forum is heavily populated by talented people who create fan work that goes way beyond hacking a Nintendo game. These are fans who are passionate about CV. Not copy right infringing swindlers.

Offline Drakon

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:11:43 PM »
From the look of things this is a forum of trolls who complain when they don't get what they want.  From the way you talk you must be a master at hacking nintendo games.  Sorry my work need to be at your par to be worthy of even posting it here.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:18:06 PM by Drakon »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »
I'm not trying to insult your work. I'm trying to tell you that I think it's unethical and probably illegal to try to charge someone for it.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 04:59:52 PM »
I was never asking people here for money.  I'm just saying why I'm not releasing it, it's my work and I can choose to release it or not.  I didn't make this to "fill my pockets", that's a pretty bold assumption.  I thought some people might appreciate what I did, I guess that's not what this forum is about.

It seemed pretty clear to me that you're looking for prospective buyers. Otherwise, you'd have no reason to post about it here, or anywhere for the matter.

For appreciation to happen, you must let people appreciate it. And guess how Castlevania fans/players appreciate a Castlevania game?
Yeah brighty boy, by playing it. Not watching some gameplay. True appreciation for players comes from playing games. Videogames are an interactive medium, and appreciation for it comes from interacting with it. That's exactly why games are sold as games, and not as gameplay movies.

Then you start a little semantics play to look smart and honest. A failed atempt.

From the look of things this is a forum of trolls who complain when they don't get what they want.  From the way you talk you must be a master at hacking nintendo games.  Sorry my work need to be at your par to be worthy of even posting it here.

And who told you we want your game, again?

The only one trolling here is you.
"HURR DURR here I haz this game but imma not let you play it if u not give me moneh." "Wat? Me, azking foh muny? NO NO I nevah said dat! Wat u taking me foh, mofo?"

You know very well we like playing games and we take interest in exploring new things fans have made, yet you take this instance. "You don't need to cross this bridge, you can just look at it. But if you want to cross it, you have to pay me the tool". You're failing at trolling too it seems.

And one more thing: Some of us are not only "Nintendo hackers" but full fledged videogame developers. I'm INDEED a master at hacking Nintendo games, from ASM hacking to music composing using hex, palette editing, sprite editing, debugging, patching, etc etc etc. Your hack is not that good, and you should take a more humble instance before coming here asking people for their money FOR SOMETHING THAT'S NOT EVEN YOURS. It may be legal, but it SURE AS FUCK is not ethical.

All we want from you is to be more humble and to not go the unethical ways. Ever heard of any "nintendo hacker" making money with hacked ROMs? The hacking community frowns HEAVILY upon this, and you seem to not know why.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:04:22 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 05:25:53 PM »
Hi there.
I'm a bit late to the party.

I'm an administrator here.  ROM Hacks are not to be paid for, ever.  It's a huge gray area when it comes to emulation/piracy resources.
We have a reasonably-sized community here, and specifically in the "Fan Stuff" SubForum, we have a rather large group of contributors from all types of media, be it music arrangements, fan remixes, sprite works, ROM hacks, and even full-fledged homebrew projects.

Some of the most popular fan work developers have graced this website and forum:
Serio's "CVBlah" Castlevania Fighting Game
MetroidQuest Studios's "Castlevania II: Simon's Quest Revamped"
Mig's own "The Lecarde Chronicles"

In addition, many members here (including some who have responded to your thread) are savvy with game development enough to know about ReVamp and about ROM-hacking, and know when a project treads into iffy 'legal gray area' territory.

To say that we're dedicated is an understatement.

Although I think Uzo said it quite harshly, it is quite disingenuous to post screencaps and a video for something that fans will never be able to play, and then even in the original post, you say something like you'll never release it unless you get paid.

So I take it you were just showing it as a showcase for something that you worked on but is stuck in Development Hell?  Or perhaps you think the project is so good you just cannot release it without making money for it?  Perhaps testing the waters to see if someone won't go "Oh I'll buy that for a dollar!" or something?

The problem with all of those statements is:
-The Youtube video shows that there are still hacking inconsistencies (the two Alucards).
-The color palette is different, but not necessarily an improvement.
-The Save File system is a good thing, but it's only one thing.

It's certainly cool in regards to being a neat "Hey, now you can save!" Work-in-Progress ROM Hack.  Maybe you meant to showcase it to us that was, as  fan?  The whole thing got a little dirtied up when you brought up money, unfortunately...
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »
I'll just leave this here:

Nintendo - Rant about Drakon's NES RGB mod work

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?246222-Messy-Mod-Work-Thread&p=3611368&viewfull=1#post3611368
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?246222-Messy-Mod-Work-Thread&p=3613998&viewfull=1#post3613998

Just so ya'all know who exactly we're dealing with here.

You can do shit elsewhere, but here your antics won't go much further, I hope.

-edited by moderation (for Youtube embedding purposes)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:32:52 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »
That video was awesome. Hopefully it's keeping people from giving this guy their business. Drakon is the first guy I know of to have youtube videos out there about how awful his work is.

The tech guy in the video was cool too. He was wearing a Meshuggah T-shirt. One of my favorite bands!

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »
I made a romhack of castlevania 3, this recording is it running on my av famicom with a nesrgb to generate s-video.  The cartridge is a real vrc6 cart that's been converted from madara into my cv3 romhack.  I converted madara because my hack has sram saving since I expanded the game to play every stage in sequence.  That's right, no more passwords, castlevania 3 with saving on real hardware, it even saves what loop you're in.  I used reVamp for most of the custom palette stuff but the rest of the changes and some of the palette changes are pure assembly reprogramming using a hex editor and fceux debugger.  I made some of the later bosses do less damage when you get hit to make the game more balanced.  In this hack you start as alucard with the freeze weapon and mr belmont is your backup character.  Since you play every stage in the game you can pick up any side character you want, including a side character of alucard to give you two alucards for no reason.  I changed which music tracks are played during which stages / scenes.  There's other minor changes.  I probably won't ever release this rom unless money is involved to compensate for my time and effort.

Drakon Castlevania 3j Revamp Hack Playthrough

GIFSoup

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Beowulf

• Belmont Wanna-be
  • Hunter in Training
  • SOUL STEAL
    • Awards
Re: My Castlevania 3 romhack
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 02:33:15 PM »
Aww he edited his posts boohoo
Dear Konami. Where is my Castlevania?

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »
I probably won't ever release this patch, just don't feel like it.

And why would you while you can spend your time making money ripping people off with shotty NES mods?

anything