Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Dungeon Music Contests?  (Read 21202 times)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2014, 11:10:33 PM »
Alright, let's set this straight! :)

Theme: Take a normal theme (hero theme, supportive character theme, stage theme, etc.) and transform it into a boss theme. And next month should be take a boss theme and make it a stage theme. :)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2014, 12:12:41 AM »
That solves the themes for two months!

So from which game/s should the themes come from?

If we can finish this deliberation in a few days, we might be able to start this contest come December.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:17:49 AM by Shiroi Koumori »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2014, 12:23:13 AM »
Hey, you don't have to stick to the love song theme, y'know.

Hey, I'm a hopeless romantic, I like that kind of thing.  :P

I think it would be good to choose a game which not only presents unique conversion opportunities (meaning doing boss-heavy remixes of stage songs, how many times have we all heard super-heavy-metal Vampire Killer remixes?), but also a game which has a fair amount of its music up on one of those sites.

The DS games I have all the MIDIs too, but since they were directly ripped they're not named and not mapped to GM. While it won't be difficult for me to rename them all accordingly and map the instruments to something decent (right now some of the drums are things like celestas and trumpets, and some melodies are gunshots and woodblocks, but thankfully Konami had pretty good MIDI mapping in these games so my work will me minimal), I won't have them all done soon enough for the first contest or two. So selecting a game that has a lot of MIDI options would probably be best.

I'd suggest SCVIV (Forest of Monsters as a boss theme? Yes, please.), personally. DoS wouldn't be too bad either. But I'm gunning more for SCVIV than anything, since it had a lot of especially atmospheric songs, thus providing a bit more challenge to the conversion.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2014, 01:50:25 AM »
Dont' restrict to a game, but let's say that people could be more interested in a remix of a less-remixed source. For instance, remixing VK isn't very interesting now, but trying to cover another track like "Walking on the Edge" will be more interesting (just CV1 examples, I'm not restricting to any game).

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2014, 06:50:03 AM »
That would be nice, what about the 2nd and 3rd placers?

Let's ask Donoffrio to make Silver and Bronze of his entry....

EDIT: I took care of it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:54:46 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »
@Chern: Alrighty, contestants are free to choose whatever midi of a normal theme they want to transform into a boss theme.

@darkmanx: Thanks for that. Tell him to send it to Jorge so he can add those to the awards list.

I'll start the actual contest thread, soon-ish.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2014, 03:08:05 AM »
Thanks Shiroi for hosting the competition. :)

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »
Another thanks from me Shiroi  ;D im a recording nut and its always goodto have a new Castlevania track to pump out  8)
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2014, 12:55:38 AM »
Thanks guys!  :-*

And since this thread is useless now, I shall proceed with the thread lock.

Tags:

anything