Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Devwill  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Amaweks

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« on: April 16, 2017, 07:20:42 PM »

Devwill is a platform arcade game, with simple graphics and gameplay. All visuals are almost in black and white, with some details with some color saturation. The important aesthetic detail comes from the "old B&W movie" effect, screen scratches, old projector sounds, Intertitles texts, typical artifices of black and white films, especially Nosferatu (1922) and Metropolis (1927), two landmarks of German Expressionism in cinema.

I'm very aware that such references are not new in the world of games: a game like Castlevania, for example, was inspired by movies like Nosferatu's and Bela Lugosi's films. Thinking about it, I also make reference to the movie "Creature from the Black Lagoon", horror film "B" of the 50's, an obvious inspiration for the Castlevania series. So I try to take up this practice of seeking inspiration in the cultural assets of the past, and I make this experience with the Aesthetics and narratives elements of Silent B&W movies.

If you liked what you see and read about Devwill consider vote on steam greenlight:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=900234026

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:54:19 AM by Amaweks »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 02:24:28 PM »
I like the way it looks, except the CRT-Filter. It's too sharp for the eyes, and if you're going for realisim, I'd suggest some curvature as well. Or maybe add it in as an option?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:40:09 PM »
CRT definitely brings back golden gaming memories  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."