Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1051816 times)

Offline omen

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Re: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread
« Reply #435 on: January 30, 2012, 04:17:25 AM »
thanx for the input fellas, any opinions on the priest original character? i was inspired by PRIEST the comic book (manhwa) not the movie.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:30:29 AM by omen »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #436 on: January 30, 2012, 05:46:12 AM »
Looks a bit average-ish to me, but the cross pocket chain was a nice touch.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline omen

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #437 on: January 30, 2012, 07:07:31 AM »
i wanted to stay away from primary colors (him being a priest in a semi-contemporary setting). i'd make his pants grey if it didn't make him look too desaturated. i want him to be a whip user but just for fun, i gave him a buster sword.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:17:45 AM by omen »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #438 on: January 30, 2012, 07:37:32 AM »
Right...I think the Holy Claymore from PoR would fit better.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline omen

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #439 on: January 30, 2012, 09:28:46 AM »
i checked out the PoR swords, really cool but i couldn't find the sprite sheet for em. if anyone could give me suggestions to make the priest less "average" looking i'd appreciate it. for the next submission, i made directional whips for maria from psycho dream.

Offline omen

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #440 on: January 30, 2012, 10:00:51 AM »
i gave her a mini step just before the strike, the original animation was clunkier. i want to use her as a base for a female original character.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #441 on: January 30, 2012, 10:59:18 AM »
if anyone could give me suggestions to make the priest less "average" looking i'd appreciate it.

You could try making him not look exactly like Julius with changed colors.

Offline omen

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #442 on: January 30, 2012, 12:48:42 PM »
i understand, like richter and trevor?

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #443 on: January 30, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »
Well, you could start off by modifying his hair and coat a bit.
^^

Offline omen

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #444 on: January 30, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »
thanx, i'm not that good at spriting but i'll give it a shot...

Offline omen

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #445 on: January 30, 2012, 09:09:42 PM »
i don't think fur lining fits well for a priest but here's a test

now that i look at it, the fur movement (and cross) looks unnatural, so i included a static shot.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:15:19 PM by omen »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #446 on: January 30, 2012, 09:12:06 PM »
That's a good start. Now try a different style of boots. Or maybe straight black khakis with dress shoes? He is a priest after all.

Offline Denis Belmondo

• this is a custom title
  • AKA "Denis Belmondo"
    • my website (tumblr) (uhh)
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #447 on: January 30, 2012, 10:23:33 PM »
i don't think fur lining fits well for a priest but here's a test

now that i look at it, the fur movement (and cross) looks unnatural, so i included a static shot.

it looks pretty nice, especially the color choice. this had been said before but i'm still seeing a julius with dyed hair, i understand this is a WIP so it's probably subject to change right? i'd suggest shortening his bangs if it works well with the sprite. also, i feel that his crucifix dangles too much in the idle animation, like it jumps to one angle/position too suddenly. i'm not sure if you're willing to make intermediate frames or not but i think it would look a lot better.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:47:09 AM by Steak T. Wilso »

Offline omen

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #448 on: January 31, 2012, 06:31:48 PM »
downplayed the fur collar and shortened the bangs, gave him kind of a mullet, made the hair more blonde, added a beard and steel-toed boots. it's safe to say that i suck at doing sprites...i'd ask you guys to be gentle but honest critique makes for better improvements.

Offline Donoffrio

• ladadee~
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - First Place 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 2nd Place Award One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #449 on: January 31, 2012, 10:31:38 PM »
downplayed the fur collar and shortened the bangs, gave him kind of a mullet, made the hair more blonde, added a beard and steel-toed boots. it's safe to say that i suck at doing sprites...i'd ask you guys to be gentle but honest critique makes for better improvements.

Looking great! I would agree with comments above by making it look LESS like Julius.

anything