Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Music you've been digging lately  (Read 269993 times)

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2011, 09:26:30 AM »
Ghost is well worth checking out.

I've been listening to some of their material lately. They're really good and catchy.

Anyway, I've just learned to play this on my bass. It's one of my favorite Priest songs, and apparently one of the two or three songs of their catalogue with gay lyrics from Rob. According to Rob Halford it's about a guy going to a gay bar getting drunk and a little too frisky then getting booted out of the place at the end. "I'm going, no loss. Nightmare, just a bunch of goddamn, rotten, steaming, raw deal".

Judas Priest - Raw Deal
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2011, 09:51:59 AM »
Been ripping my collection over a number of months now.... have got to the T's. Where I found a band I had forgot about - maybe for a reason. Throwdown - utter meatcore (meaning meat-headed hardcore. Not that any of these guys have anything to do with meat, as they're vegan, and straightedge). For your listening pleasure/displeasure, here is Raise Your Fist. Now get some beers in and eat a large t-bone.

Throwdown-"Raise Your Fist"
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2011, 01:04:45 PM »
I recently listened to Iced Earth's 1992 album Night of the Stormrider.

Iced Earth - Travel In Stygian

Here I was, listening to the great songs, and I wondered: Hey, that vocalist kicks ass. How come they didn't stick with him in the band? The guy's Halford-style singing is fantastic.
And then I tried to look him up and found nearly nothing. Apparently he never was in any big band apart from IE. And he was kicked out of the band after one album because of some radical racist views he expressed.
Such a shame how talents are wasted.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
I recently listened to Iced Earth's 1992 album Night of the Stormrider.

Iced Earth - Travel In Stygian

Here I was, listening to the great songs, and I wondered: Hey, that vocalist kicks ass. How come they didn't stick with him in the band? The guy's Halford-style singing is fantastic.
And then I tried to look him up and found nearly nothing. Apparently he never was in any big band apart from IE. And he was kicked out of the band after one album because of some radical racist views he expressed.
Such a shame how talents are wasted.

Stormrider was a great album, soaring thrash vocals... but I didn't know that John Greely was a racist knobend. Oh well.

Any Iced Earth album (at least up to when Ripper Owens joined) is a good one. Pure power thrash. I have a definite love for Horror Show myself. Dracula is an excellent tune - taking it's lyrical cue from the Francis Ford Coppola film version of Drac. Also Wolf, Jack (The Ripper), Jeykll And Hyde, Damien (inspired by The Omen), and a great cover of Iron Maiden's Transylvania.
Here's Dracula.
Iced Earth - Dracula
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Gecko

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2011, 04:34:11 PM »
YAY ICED EARTH DISCUSSION! They're also one of my favorite bands. Didn't know much about that vocalist though. My favorite IE albums are a tie between Night of the Stormrider and Burnt Offerings. I like all their albums though, including the ones with Ripper Owens. Musically they aren't as interesting overall though as previous albums, I have to admit that. The Crucible of Man was great with the return of the now again retired Matt Barlow. I look forward to seeing what they come up with with that new Stu Block character.

Anyway, here's possibly the most positive IE song ever recorded. It pretty much says we're all screwed, but that if someone is willing to stand up and change the world we still have a chance.

Iced Earth - Come what May
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »
Iced Earth is one of my favorite all time bands, that i'm listening to!!!

Iced Earth-Melancholy
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2011, 09:26:22 PM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Deko21

• Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Vampire Hunter
  • The world is corrupt
    • Awards
"I may not be able to use the whip, but i can still kick your ass!" -Jonathan Morris

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2011, 07:22:17 AM »
Iced Earth did this really cool song about my favorite battle in history. It's pretty awesome : p

Gettysburg (1863) - Hold At All Costs

Offline Green Stranger

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2011, 07:36:11 AM »
So there's a healthy amount of metal heads here from what I can gather. Can any of you share some good remakes/covers done by metal bands? The other day I heard Dream Theater's cover of Perfect Strangers by Deep Purple and it was quite impressive. I can't believe I hadn't heard it till now! Dimmu Borgir's and Bruce Dickinson's version was good too.

Here's a couple I recommend:

Testament - Sails of Charon   --- Scorpions
Opeth - Remember Tommorrow --- Iron Maiden
Ghost - Here Comes the Sun --- Beatles
Lacuna Coil - Enjoy the Silence  --- Depeche Mode
Yngwie Malmsteen/Dio - Dream On --- Areosmith

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2011, 10:15:10 PM »
Can any of you share some good remakes/covers done by metal bands?

CAN I?

You must have hit the spot here, because about a year ago, good-old master Freddy here not only hunted high and low the whole internet for those, he actually made a CD out of the best o' them.
BEHOLD:

*COPY*
*PASTE*

1. Avantasia - Lay All Your Love On Me.mp3
2. Gamma Ray - It's a Sin.mp3
3. Guano Apes - Big In Japan.mp3
4. Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams.mp3
5. Doro - White Weddings.mp3
6. Turisas - Rasputin.mp3
7. Firewind - maniac.mp3
8. To Die For -  In The Heat Of The Night.MP3
9. HIM - Wicked Game.mp3
10. Ozzy Osbourne - Stayin Alive.mp3
11. Black Messiah - Moskau.mp3
12. Hammerfall - My Sharona.mp3
13. Megaherz - Rock Me Amadeus .mp3
14. Dungeon - Call Me.mp3
15. Northern Kings - Hello.mp3
16. Twilight Guardians - La Isla Bonita.mp3
17. Lacuna Coil -  Enjoy the Silence.mp3
18. Edguy - Hymn.mp3
19. Avantasia - Dancing With Tears In My Eyes.mp3
20. Yngwie Malmsteen - Gimme, Gimme, Gimme.mp3
21. Iron Savior - Crazy .mp3
22. Paradise Lost - Small Town Boy.mp3
23. Wise Crack - Come Undone.mp3
24. Dungeon - Hold the Line.mp3

Of course not all of those are by metal bands by definition, and there are dozens more I didn't include because I didn't like 'em. Some of those covers became classics by their own right.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2011, 09:08:27 PM »
I like Graveworm's cover of Pet Shop Boys' "It's a sin". Although the original rules supreme. PSB 4 life.

It's a sin- Graveworm
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Gecko

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2011, 02:18:29 PM »
Since we're talking covers,
Avantasia's cover of "In My Defense" by Freddie Mercury is fantastic.

Also, it almost doesn't need to be said from me, but Judas Priest's covers of songs tend to become the most recognized versions of songs because they're so well done and properly mixed the original song with their own style. Songs like "Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown)" originally from Fleetwood Mac, "Better By You, Better Than Me" from Spooky Tooth and "Diamonds and Rust" from Joan Baez are recognized as Priest classics. We don't talk about the "Jonny B. Goode" cover though.

Oh, and Iced Earth's cover of "Transylvania" is great.

Anyway, here's what I'm listening to. Incidentally another cover.
Skid Row - C'mon & Love Me
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2011, 07:21:27 PM »
The best cover ever is unquestionably Blinded by the Light as played by Manfred Mann's Earth Band. I mean, how many people even know this was a Bruce Springsteen song? But EVERYONE knows this rendition.
Manfred Mann's Earth Band- Blinded by the Light
Nothing against Bruce though. He made Jungleland. I mean, yeah.
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Tags:

anything