Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Music you've been digging lately  (Read 269993 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #270 on: May 23, 2012, 05:39:13 AM »
Witchfinder General is an all right flick. Only seen it once, thinking of selling it if it doesn't grab me a second time through. Think there's a pretty funny Black Sabbath-esque band that goes by the name. Remember downloading a few albums years back when I was on a "listen to everything that sounds like early Sab" kick (Pentagram, sHEAVY, Witchcraft, etc.).

Speakin'a selling... Been in El Purgo mode lately, thinking I'll ditch a bunch of my CDs. Even though I'm still fond of, say, the metal I used to be into, I don't really listen to it anymore and it's taking up space. If you folks are into owning CDs (I'll still have a ton after the sale), you could buy 'em off me cheap. Dunno yet the asking price, but probably $3-5. I keep that shiz in good condition, by the way, unless I bought used and were already bad.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:40:55 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #271 on: May 23, 2012, 07:27:22 AM »
Remember downloading a few albums years back when I was on a "listen to everything that sounds like early Sab" kick (Pentagram, sHEAVY, Witchcraft, etc.).

If you dig Sabbath style music, you can't really go wrong with Orange Goblin. Great band. Myself, I dig a lot of Stoner/Doom, though more the Sludge end of things - but Orange Goblin and Electric Wizard are two awesome rock 'n roll-based Doom bands.

Orange Goblin - Scorpionica

Electric Wizard - Funeralopolis
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Green Stranger

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: May 23, 2012, 03:50:24 PM »
Now I really really want to see that movie. Vincent Price is always so fun to watch in his genre films. His character could be the most evil bastard alive and he's still got that glint in his eye like "They're paying me to do this? Alright!"
Yeah Vincent Price is a trip. Watch the movie The Fall of The House of Usher and you'll have a laugh at his performance.

If you dig Sabbath style music, you can't really go wrong with Orange Goblin. Great band. Myself, I dig a lot of Stoner/Doom, though more the Sludge end of things - but Orange Goblin and Electric Wizard are two awesome rock 'n roll-based Doom bands.

I remember first hearing Orange Goblin back in high school. Good stuff. This track in particular was always one of my favorites along with blue snow. As for sludge metal my favorite has to be Corrosion of Conformity. Don't know if you've heard them before but take the liberty to have a listen.

2. Albatross

Corrosion Of Conformity - Over Me

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: May 23, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
Never dug too deeply into the whole stoner rock thing, but Corrosion of Conformity is damn good. Even though I don't really listen to much metal anymore, I'd never get rid of my Deliverance and Wiseblood CDs. Damn good tuneage.

corrosion of conformity -the door

Awyeah.

I've got Electric Wizard's Dopethrone. Some good tunes on there though I'm almost never in the mood to hear it.

As for sludge, got Acid Bath's two albums but considering maybe getting rid of 'em as I never listen to them. Damn good albums, just...never listen to them. Just not into the whole metal thing much anymore, save for classic Sab and a few others. (Spun Solefald's In Harmonia Universali the other day and it's still exciting, one of the best.)

SOLEFALD - Mont Blanc Providence Crow (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: May 23, 2012, 05:07:27 PM »
I suppose that was probably Pepper Keenan's fault, heh. I never listened to much of their earlier stuff, but it was cool and I always found the extreme change fascinating.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Green Stranger

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: May 23, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »
It's good to see that a lot of you have great taste in music. This is probably favorite thread to revisit.

As for these guys below, I recommend the Tygers of Pan Tang for some good classic rock with comical lyricals that are worth a laugh.

Tygers of Pan Tang - Euthanasia

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #276 on: May 23, 2012, 11:55:36 PM »
Hm never was a huge metal fan myself. I like it alright but there's only a few bands I dig a lot. Other than Iron Maiden those are mostly power metal acts.

AMV 08th MS Team Nightwish - Tenth Man Down
Nightwish, if there's a better Symphonic Power Metal band I don't know of them. Though they've sadly gotten a bit more generic in sound since they changed lead singer. The newer one, bless her, doesn't have nearly the range Tarja did. She really struggled on the older songs when I saw them live.
Nightwish - Amaranth
She even had some trouble delivering on the range in this song, which was basically her debut anthem. To be fair it might have just been an off night for her.

Helloween - Halloween Full Song [HD]
Helloween, classic Power Metal.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:58:18 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: May 24, 2012, 02:09:04 AM »
Been listening to Stabbing Westward's debut, Ungod, quite a bit lately. Solid album...shame they'd never do another like it. The newer stuff, while I like to an extent, is pretty much teeny bopper fluff, while the debut is a good industrial rocker.

Also, despite my love of Filter's Short Bus, I find it a little frustrating that Stuart Zechman isn't listed as a songwriter on "Hey Man Nice Shot", since he apparently wrote the guitar line in the chorus. It's used on the "Ungod" title track and that album came out in 1994 (Filter's '95), and during recording he played live for both bands, so unless he stole the line from Richard Patrick...

By the way, John Fryer is a great producer.

Stabbing Westward - Ungod

Filter - Hey Man, Nice Shot
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: May 24, 2012, 02:21:19 AM »
A little different... I always dug NIN, and therefore back in the day tried to track down bands like them. Little did I know that Gary Numan existed in this genre - I thought the only thing he did was Cars...

Gary Numan - RIP

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #279 on: May 24, 2012, 02:26:15 AM »
Dunno if you were aware, but Sulpher worked heavily on Gary Numan's Pure album, where that track is taken. He basically heard Sulpher and said, "Holy shit we gotta do a Nine Inch Nails tribute."

Never really listened to Sulpher. I should someday. Listened to Pure a ton when I got it in 2001 or something.

Numan's excellent, by the way. Strangely, "Cars" is one of my least favorite tracks on The Pleasure Principle. It's an awesome song, just that "Metal", "M.E.", "Films", and so many others are so much better.

Fuckin' A, "M.E.", man... Best song ever to employ Moog synthesizers, IMO.

Gary Numan - M.E.

Numan dabbled with industrial sounds in the '80s. Metal Rhythm has moments of industrial, and my favorite song from the album (and the most industrial, IMO) is "Voix". So moody.

Gary Numan - Voix
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:28:18 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: May 24, 2012, 05:57:02 AM »
Dunno if you were aware, but Sulpher worked heavily on Gary Numan's Pure album, where that track is taken. He basically heard Sulpher and said, "Holy shit we gotta do a Nine Inch Nails tribute."

I know them. As far as I know they only released one album - which was, as you say, extremely NIN. Not bad at all though - but they do wear their influences very much in the open, that the album could almost be Broken part 2.

01 - Sulpher - Scarred

Also, there's Killing Joke - great stuff. Definitely the band Ministry took their cue from.

Killing Joke - The Wait
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:08:06 AM by Nail_Bombed »

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #281 on: May 25, 2012, 05:55:18 AM »
+1
Just been listening to a lot of Reel Big Fish lately, they're my favorite band. Too bad they've lost the rights to most of their original recordings and more recently their original bass player and long-time backup singer. At least they're still going though, don't think anyone expected them to live past the 90s.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:21:46 AM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: May 25, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »
So I'm going through a bunch of my metal CDs, deciding what to sell and keep. I'm almost embarrassed by a lot of the tech death and other stuff I was really into; it just doesn't thrill me anymore. Kinda embarrassed by my little metalcore binge, too.

But some metalcore CDs I'm keeping are all of Botch, and I can't part with my Cave In stuff. Thought I'd be getting rid of On Broken Wings, but damn...Some of Us May Never See the World is just too good an album to ditch. I almost forgot how good and punchy this is. Some nice experimentalism with samples and keys and that, too.

On Broken Wings - Maybe The Earth Is Flat

I remember downloading their next album when it came out and being really disappointed. Some of the songs they re-recorded (one for like the third time on an album) were nowhere near as good, and the new tunes didn't interest me. One of those one-hit wonders, I guess.

On Broken Wings - Giving Up the Ghost
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:49:46 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: May 26, 2012, 12:22:26 AM »
Actually, screw it, I don't want the OBW album anymore, lol. Getting rid of so much of my metal it's ridiculous.

Don't really want my Cave In stuff either. I listened to Cave In enough in a three-year span to last me a lifetime.

Listened to Front Line Assembly's Tactical Neural Implant for the first time since I was probably 17 (almost a decade). Don't think I ever quite realized how amazing that album is; was so wrapped up in Skinny Puppy at the time, seeing FLA as the poor man's version and not really appreciating just how kick-ass of a thing Bill Leeb and Rhys Fulber had going. Definitely have to get me more of their albums posthaste.

Front Line Assembly - Final Impact

By the way, Cyberaktif is an excellent collaboration between cEvin Key, Dwayne Goettel, and Leeb. Skuppy meets FLA.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:28:03 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: May 26, 2012, 05:34:25 AM »
Speaking of metal that DOES kick ass (holy triple post), I just found out maybe an hour ago that !T.O.O.H.! (which stands for !The Obliteration of Humanity!) have reformed, and they've gone back to the core duo lineup. For their major label release, Order and Punishment (released by Earache), they were a four-piece band, and the album had a fully fleshed out sound and it was great, but I like the more punk, DIY sound of their earlier work more.

Compare:

"old"
!T.O.O.H.! - Aura & Ziata

"new"
!T.O.O.H.! - Analyza Záhnědy

That second track officially translates to "Analysis of the Shitstain", by the way. Fu.Cking.Righteous.

By the way, despite how kick-ass their last album was, Earache fucking dropped the band on their ass almost right away and the album went out of print within a couple months. Balls bogus, my friends.

So they fell apart and were silent for several years, but now they've reformed, and I couldn't be more excited. New album in the works with six or seven tracks done, promise of merch (T-shirts, hopefully reprints of past albums, dildos, etc.), and a "by the end of the year—hopefully" release, and I am one happy camper.

To make things like five billion times better, they go and release the most amazing promo pic ever made.

Love these dorks. Can't wait. They should do a synth pop album next.

Oh yeah, and if I weren't already nerdgasming enough, they upload a previously unreleased demo with exclusive songs that are super badass, and they also uploaded all the previous demos in high quality with good scans of the artwork, all linked from their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/tooh-info-pages/169543943151221

And their artwork—oh fuck, THEIR ARTWORK! The painting for the Pod vládou biče ("Under the Reign of the Whip") album is a spectacle.

NSFW, kiddies.

Bliss. I want to own the original piece, buy a nice ritzy house, and then hang this in my living room in the most prominent, eye-catching place.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags: