Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Metroid: Dread  (Read 10137 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2021, 06:10:04 PM »
Metroid Dread is the worst good Metroid.
(click to show/hide)

Honestly, Fusion did 90% of this game's execution way better with vastly inferior hardware.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2021, 11:11:51 PM »
That's all very disheartening... I'm not liking what I've just read. I hope -like Other M before it- that people will chime in and inform Nintendo about these questionable choices MercurySteam is making. I do NOT want QTEs in a Metroid game amongst the other aforementioned. That's not how Metroid is.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2021, 01:01:12 AM »
That's all very disheartening... I'm not liking what I've just read. I hope -like Other M before it- that people will chime in and inform Nintendo about these questionable choices MercurySteam is making. I do NOT want QTEs in a Metroid game amongst the other aforementioned. That's not how Metroid is.

Although I’m refraining from any types of reviews (even the spoiler-free kind) I’m not clear on why Nintendo even needed MS to make this game.. Remember when Nintendo Licensed titles were actually made by… Well, Nintendo??? Hashtag Mindblown….  :o
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2021, 10:21:29 AM »

Although I’m refraining from any types of reviews (even the spoiler-free kind) I’m not clear on why Nintendo even needed MS to make this game.. Remember when Nintendo Licensed titles were actually made by… Well, Nintendo??? Hashtag Mindblown….  :o

MercurySteam has a specific set of skills that Nintendo seems to really appreciate. I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to make them a second-party dev like Retro.

I just finally got a playable rom + emu (have bought the game! just lost my switch in the time from preorder til now.) and I've piddled around in the first area. All I have to say so far is that the movement really feels perfect. I've heard that the level design doesn't encourage it anywhere near as much, but freedom to the degree of Super Metroid seems possible.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2021, 03:20:12 PM »
It's best to think of it as a sequel to Samus Returns, the remake. If that game thrills you, this one will provide more, and bigger, of the same. But anyone hoping for something more like Super Metroid, well, you needed Nintendo to work with a different studio on this one.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 07:51:01 PM »
Not really impressed with this.

Sure, it's better than Samus Returns, but Axiom Verge 1 & 2 are not only WAY BETTER, but better priced, as well. ($19.99 each)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2021, 10:57:39 AM »
Metroid Dread.

The game you're casually presented to is not what represents this game.

Oh I really hate to do this but I gotta give this game it's justice now.

If you hate or find this game disappointing or mediocre, you're not alone. You're simply playing the game wrong and you're not alone.

Metroid Dread is a Masterpiece that has hidden itself in plain sight and if you find it and do the challenge to get to it early (HINT HINT).
The game wants you to break the rules, get stuff early, try everything on bosses, that platforming challenge that looks hard, go for it now not later.
I went for early Gravity Suit and it completely altered the second half of the game, the route was so much better and the pacing... top shelf.

Seriously, play the game again; looks up Early item guides, do the challenges to get them and you'll see it too. It really as if this game is really two games and how you're willing to play is which one you'll be playing.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 08:30:04 PM »
You can sequence break almost any metroidvania, though. (Hollow knight, Axiom Verge 1 & 2, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and  Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth are just several examples.)

All of the games that I listed are not only cheaper, with a lower return on investment (and more enjoyable, IMO) than dread, they have several levels of difficulty for different playstyles. 

Also, Crowsworn is coming (eventually):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1614330/Crowsworn/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 05:41:51 AM by Highwind Dragoon »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 10:54:02 PM »
I just picked up Dread earlier on today.

They did it again. -_-;

MercurySteam doesn't know when to leave the analogue stick alone for 2.5D games. To add insult to injury we can't set the controls. Just like before. Fortunately however, using the stick on the Switch compared to the 3DS is far more forgiving. I've gotten rather comfortable with it and haven't been suffering too much. But I'd still rather use the D-pad for these types of games as that's what it's for.

The interview from Nintendo stated that they wanted to give the players a feeling of suspense with these EMMI robots. However that's not what's happening with me. All they're doing is annoying the piss outta me. Fusion did a better job of this and it wasn't nearly as irritating. At the very least, once they've been dealt with I don't have to worry about them anymore. This is probably where the game's difficulty is coming from; dealing with these f@#king EMMI bots. I've destroyed three so far and have defeated two bosses. I'll pick up my save file tomorrow and see what else awaits me.

Overall the game's not bad. It's shaping up to be better then Samus Returns, but it could've been better in some areas.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 06:20:28 PM »
The reality is that there’s not been a “Super-openworld-Metroid” for years… SR doesn’t count, ZM and Fusion weren’t that game, Other M wasn’t even close(Bottleship coupled with restrictive movement and invisible barriers everywhere), Prime 3 could’ve been but it was too segmented.. I would go so far to say that aside from Super Metroid,  Prime 2 felt like the most vast and expansive title to date.

I get why Dread wouldn’t be everyone’s cup-o-tea, given it borrows heavily from SR, however, being the same dev’s, the way the trailers looked, the gameplay sections seen in the trailer, please do not tell me anyone expected SM.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2021, 06:57:12 PM »
I'm liking it pretty well so far.  I'm up to Elun right now.  The only gripe i have so far is the way the missles/grapple beam control with r/zr.  Sometimes those get mixed up when i need them but that could be largely user error lol.  Overall i think it's a pretty solid game, not deserving of all the hate it gets.  I'm just thankful we have something besides the prime series for a change.  Now i'm ready for a Super Metroid remake with this engine.  That would be killer.
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2021, 12:02:33 AM »
Now i'm ready for a Super Metroid remake with this engine.  That would be killer.

Only so long as they keep the controls as they were in the SNES game. I'm against fixing things that aren't broken but not everybody will see it that way.

The bosses are becoming a real pain in the @$$ as my bro can attest to. They really want you to strategize in Dread like you had to in Samus Returns. This is another thing that MercurySteam is hung up on. This type of play style was never really a focal point in the original games. The only games that you needed to have a bit of strategy with was in the Prime series, and for those games that were in 3D it worked out as intended. But I personally feel it's not something that the 2D or 2.5D games should be making a habit out of. Another gripe that I've heard other people share is the over-usage on the speedbooster via puzzles/collections. Super Metroid had the right balance and never forced you to go through a frustrating amount of running, jumping, pin-point executing races in order to collect more items. If the game wasn't operating on a clock system to get the best ending then it wouldn't be such an issue. As I mentioned before it's a decent game but there are things about it that I would have seen developed differently in comparison to what we got.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 12:04:18 AM by X »

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2021, 07:48:51 AM »
Really enjoying this game, much like I enjoyed Samus Returns. I like the fact that the bosses require real strategy and aren't just missile sponges.  The graphics are amazing, the power suit looks absolutely stunning in this game! One thing that was missing in Samus Returns was the speed booster and that's now back and so is the shine spark!  The melee counter is back but the gameplay doesn't rely on it as much which is also an improvement.  The only real negative for me would be some of the music isn't all that interesting.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2021, 10:00:55 AM »
I probably should've mentioned Samus' armor. it's not really behaving like armor should ie withstanding hits. Even with both suit upgrades I noticed Samus still taking heavy amounts of damage. Traditionally the Veria suit is supposed to reduce damage up at least 1/2 and the Gravity suit by another 1/4. I don't think MercurySteam understands what armor is actually for or how it works in-game. Even regular enemies' attacks are still very punishing.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2021, 06:04:23 PM »
After finishing the initial play through (with no sequence breaks thus far) I really liked it.
As much as I like SR and appreciated the Metroid fights, this has more variety and maintains the dynamics of movement while implementing the party system for rewards and giving harder enemies invincibility after parry animations (meaning you have to “rush parry” before the animation happens and you cannot just lay back and wait). The final boss was especially rewarding.

I also like that some of the key items are spread around and there’s no map beacons that assist throughout, it’s more like NES / Super Metroid in that regard.

Doing a second play through now and I’m going to try and be unorthodox about it.