Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Silent Hill, that special, evil place.  (Read 6705 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: Silent Hill, that special, evil place.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »
It's supposed to come out this summer I think.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 10:59:28 PM »
Downpour is a winner.
http://www.destructoid.com/review-silent-hill-downpour-222794.phtml
http://n4g.com/news/958958/rely-on-horror-silent-hill-downpour-review

My impressions:

The game is not IN YOUR FACE, this is no Resident Evil no Dead Space, pacing (The time I've been playing, a good chunk) is methodically played, when a reveal is going to happen the game gives you hitns through a good amount of time (being sound effects -masterful sound design if you ask me- visual cues, the ocasional shadow...) the story is told through the surroundings, Silent Hill feels like a living city (or that it was, one day) murphy is a good character, you could empathize with him. It's intriguing that everyone seems to know what you did, but you don't, he seems like a good guy, I can't wait to reach the revelation.

About gameplay, it's the good ol' Silent Hill, refined a little, but not that much. And I love that.
Combat is not clunky (In a SH way), but it's not DMC obviously, the monsters are NOT obstacles here, they are HAZARDS. Weapon degradation is not annoying because almost everything is a weapon here. And again, combating is not the best way to face your monsters.
The game has a good deal of hollywood influences, but I think it counts in its favor. There's a sequence in a mine (that references a very known family of old times) that was.. terryfying, think a rollercaster ride, but in the worst of your nightmares, my heart almost bursts out of my chest, and then the ending of that scene... it was the bizarreness I LOVE from Silent Hill.
Cons? Murphy's hair could be better, and animations in general are not espectacular, also some screen tearing. but I think the magic in Silent Hill is that you can overcome those faults, it's not your eyes that are inmersed. It's your mind. And Jeez this game delivers.

Best SH since 3? ABSOLUTELY, and I'm not even half-trough it (because of sidequests... they are NOT what you think, it's not that you encounter a character and they give you a fetch quest.. they are introduced as I said before, slowly, setting the context, giving you hints, but never directions)

I'll post more if you want, or ask me I don't know, but BUY THIS GAME. It's the first TRUE survival horror this gen and it was made with heart, not looking for sales figures. It's about the message.

Another lucky strike for Konami, they didn't give a ***** about this game but they (again) stumbled with good passionate and well intended developers to clean up their mess.

I'm a happy free bitch right now! :tears:  :'(

Everything comes full circle

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »
Sweet, this sounds like it's right up my alley, I hope it's coming out for PC.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
This sounds awesome. I'm off to pick it up!

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 06:06:07 PM »
Be sure to post your own impressions later, Muchy. I've been wondering how the game would turn out, though I'm still leery about Destructoid's mention of "beat 'em up" portions.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 07:11:07 PM »
My first impressions of the game are pretty good.  It seems very solid and much better overall than Homecoming.  Although...
(click to show/hide)
But I really haven't played that far in.  I've had a busy day off and haven't had much time for gaming.  I haven't even made it to the first Otherworld experience, but I feel like I'm very close.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 03:20:49 AM »
Brief impressions. 360 version. I don't think what I have to say is terribly spoilery, but in case someone disagrees I'll tag it anyway.

(click to show/hide)

All in all, I'm not going to say it's perfect, but definitely has potential.

Be sure to post your own impressions later, Muchy. I've been wondering how the game would turn out, though I'm still leery about Destructoid's mention of "beat 'em up" portions.

Haven't seen a monster yet, but from what I've read about the combat, if you play this game like a beat-em-up, you're doing it wrong. Much like most survival horror, really.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:25:08 AM by Munchy »

Tags: