Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I'm, uh...still...still alive.  (Read 2621 times)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« on: July 17, 2014, 04:51:27 PM »
Hello again!  I'm back!  Again!

I recall posting some time ago, updating about my condition.  Things have changed quite a bit since then...and once you hear why, I hope you'll forgive me being too tired/lazy to look up what I last left you with.

We made a trip to the Cleveland Clinic (having heard much about their heart transplant center) for a second opinion.  Mostly just to be familiar with the place if I ever needed a transplant.  When they checked me out, some things had gotten worse than we realized, so they admitted me right away.  I still felt fine, but there were underlying concerns.

I spent a few days in ICU so they could monitor me closely, and my numbers (I forget exactly what they were looking at...cardiac output or something) was low enough that they wanted to implant a mechanical device of some sort to help my heart...a VAD is what I think they were calling it.

In that process, I had a balloon pump placed in me (ever! so! painful!)...and was also placed on the transplant list for that weekend, just in case something came through.  The Monday after the weekend, if no heart showed up, I was to have a VAD installed.  Monday came, no heart, but also no conformation from insurance, so the VAD surgery was delayed until Tuesday.

Tuesday morning, sometime around 3 AM, the nurse came to wake me and tell me the awesome news.  They had just received a call about a heart that would be perfect for me, and instead of VAD surgery, I would be having heart transplant surgery later that day, July 1st!!

The surgery went well (although when I next woke, it was Friday I think...I'm still trying to catch up from that!) and they kept an eye on me for another week.  As expected, the heart is a little sluggish in its "electrical" functions...apparently putting it on ice for transfer always affects the heart and so the for the first bit while nerves heal, it kinda speeds up and slows down on it's own.  Eventually, as it heals and my body gets used to it, my body will start communicating my needs and it'll pump right.

For that reason, about a week after the heart transplant, they implanted a pacemaker to make sure it wouldn't slow down too much or stop.

And finally, today, after 3+ loooong weeks in the Hospital, I've been released and am back at my in-laws house nearby!!  I'm still weak and regaining strength from being tied to a bed for almost 3 weeks, but I'm recovering that strength much faster than they expected.  I'm also healing much faster than they expected as well...my transplant scar is already pretty smooth.  I have a fair bit of ache from the pacemaker surgery, but it's going away day by day.  I mostly have muscle weakness/soreness and lots of knots and kinks from lack of exercise and movement...but I'm working on that too just being able to get up and moving!

Thanks for all the thoughts, prayers, and support!  This is just an awesome community and I'm glad to be part of it!  Now I mostly have to travel the road to recovery.  As I said, the healing and strengthening is going well, and there have been very minimal signs of heart rejection, so the doctors aren't at all concerned.  I hope and pray the rejection signs STAY at none or minimal!

I hope the update makes sense!  Feel free to ask any questions if I was unclear...I still feel like my processing is less-than-average right now, so...I'm not always sure how coherent I am! :-D

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »
Amen brother.

For sure you are feeling better if you are posting on the forum in your condition!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 05:09:24 PM »
Thanks for all the thoughts, prayers, and support!  This is just an awesome community and I'm glad to be part of it!

You're welcome anytime bro! Glad to hear things went well for you. And hopefully you'll continue to have a long and healthy life for you and your family to enjoy.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 05:24:44 PM »
Glad to hear you're doing well. Gave us (well, at least me) a bit of a scare with the last couple of threads. But it's good everything went so smoothly.

Good to have you back, mate. :)

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 07:06:27 PM »
Glad you could get the heart transplant. Awesome news. :) Heal well.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 05:30:02 PM »
Phew! Glad to hear you're still with us, brother!

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 07:07:44 PM »
I suppose this calls for an internet party. I'll kick it off.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 12:03:42 AM »
Who let the dawgs out, lol!

Baha Men - Who Let The Dogs Out (Original version) | Full HD | 1080p

sorry everyone, I just had too  ;D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 11:21:03 PM »
I'm so happy for you!  :D

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 12:23:33 PM »
Fast-forward to 1:39 for BIG AMERICAN PARTY!
Clerks episode 4 - hilarious ending
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:25:25 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: