Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Connecting PC hard drive to laptop?  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:08:11 AM »
Basically, I have this old Windows PC that had all my music makers, sprite making tools, and my RPG files on there, but the computer can't turn on anymore.

Is there anyway to connect a PC hard drive to a laptop so I can get my stuff off of it?
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:48:23 AM »
You have to be very careful with that product there. It leaves the drive open and exposed. If you're looking for a more permanent use, or to use it as an external drive, then you may want to consider getting an External Enclosure. It encases the drive inside of a protective case, and allows USB connection. Down side is, I believe they're all fit for a single specific connector type. Check to see what yours is before getting one.

http://www.newegg.com/store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&Tpk=external%20enclosure

They are very handy. I have two Rosewill ones myself, one for SATA and one for IDE.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 07:04:44 AM »
USB enclosures are awesome.
I have a NexStar CX and a Rosewill something-or-other lying around, and use 'em to get into my older drives or to back up this PC.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »
I use a USB/firewire enclosures. as jprge mentioned, I have a 500 and 250 gig hdds attached to my wii just full of series and movies to playback >.>, and older the drive harder to get closures for since everything is sata or e-sata now
Currently Involved in: Vampire blood Chronicals, Project Goldeneye

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
Personally I use HDD Docks myself. It leaves it open and exposes, but allows you to quickly change through the drives if I so wish it. Just disconnect, turn off, change drives, turn back on.

Open and exposed though, I don't see much problems with it, as long as you don't plan to use it as a cup holder or something that might get it in a bad situation.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 06:42:42 PM »
I have one of those.  Reminds me of an old SNES.
It's called the "BlacX".  You stick the drive in a big ol' cartridge slot like a SNES cart, and turn it on.
It connects via USB.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: