Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What's a good web-comic hosting website?  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« on: August 12, 2015, 10:15:17 AM »
So over the last couple weeks I've been writing a web-comic titled The Fate of Keisuke. It's a series of 6-page chapters that I write and upload daily that takes several tropes from anime and parodies them, but also parodies other popular stories and such. Despite being named after the character Keisuke in the story, there actually is no main character and the chapters focus on different characters each time (Keisuke appeared in Chapter 1, but didn't appear again until Chapter 5). I'm 12 chapters in now, and currently writing the 13th chapter, and something occurred to me.

I'm 12 chapters in, and these comics are only being uploaded to my Facebook profile. They aren't very good, but I get a good laugh out of writing them and I legitimately enjoy doing it. So I wanted to be able to upload them somewhere else where anybody could see them.

The only web-comic hosting sites I've found are for the gag-a-day styled comics like Cyanide & Happiness, which revolve around 1-page comics, which doesn't work for me, since one of my chapters is 6-pages long. So I've been trying to find another website (ComicFury was promising and had everything I could have asked for, even including front-page advertisement for new members, but it was also 1-page uploading).

Anyone know of anywhere I can upload images in groups of 6 so that people can easily and efficiently read these comics? I'd love to be able to share them with people widely.

On another note, I did set the viewing on the Facebook comics to "Public", but there's still the fact that people have to go onto Facebook to read them which is too much of a hassle.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: What's a good web-comic hosting website?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »
Smackjeeves is a good one. You can also use deviantart.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 12:05:01 AM »
Deviantart and tumblr. Pixiv is also good.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 01:12:33 AM »
Tumblr is good for the fact that I can upload multiple pictures in one post. But is there an easy organization tool? Like, a table of contents, if you will, where one can easily find all the episodes without having to scroll through a lot of crap?

Despite being somewhat familiar with Deviantart, I've never actually made an account there. That might be one to check out. I'll look into Pixiv.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:35:04 AM »
I've tried reading online comics on Deviant Art, but it was a pain to navigate. Your best bet would be to go with a site that caters to webcomics.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 06:11:51 PM »
Your best bet would be to go with a site that caters to webcomics.

smackjeeves, like i said

:P
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 07:52:57 PM »
Smackjeeves won't do it for me. It's more for the comics that are one-page updates. And since I do 6-page comic updates daily, it'd be shoving in 6-pages into the "Latest Comics" box each day. If you even miss one day of reading, then it'd be too much of a hassle to find where you last left off at.

I need a website where I can keep the pages in groups of 6 pages, and isn't a hassle to go through in order to find where you left off at. If it helps any, the reason it's easy on Facebook is simply because I can make a new photo album every time I upload a comic. DeviantArt seems like the only other place I can do that at.

I haven't yet looked into Pixiv, though, so I'll check that one out, too.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 10:41:33 AM »
The alternative would be more expensive, but you could get your own server and be able to run your web comic off that. You could also update it however you want. Granted you would need support for its up-keep though.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 01:52:43 PM »
Granted you would need support for its up-keep though.

There are people that will host it for you, if you get enough off of ads.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 06:50:24 PM »
Pixiv seems to work so far. Being a Japanese site, it actually supports multi-page manga, and considering I'm using Manga Maker and all it works out so far.

The upload process is a bit of a pain, though. But so far it's better than nothing. I haven't tried out DeviantArt yet, so I can check that one out, too.

The alternative would be more expensive, but you could get your own server and be able to run your web comic off that. You could also update it however you want. Granted you would need support for its up-keep though.

Yeah, that's a bit out of my budget right now, on top of me knowing nothing about web design. A little later on it might definitely be something worth looking into.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 08:24:41 PM »
So after going through with Pixiv, it really occurred to me that it's not that great a site to use after all, since you need to make an account to find the comic anyway. I'll still upload it on there anyway since people on there seem to like it, but I'll need to find a different site for public viewing. DeviantArt is my next stop.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 09:54:17 PM »
All the best dude  :)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 01:36:36 AM »
Alright. I'll wait for your upload on dA.

Tags:

anything