Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Unknown Song - C64 Game  (Read 4250 times)

Offline jgy666

• Awards
Unknown Song - C64 Game
« on: January 20, 2008, 01:40:26 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THn_6bvLGfw

This is from "Friday the 13th" on the Commodore 64. The entire soundtrack was made of classical and children's songs... Yeah, nothing like says "a maniac is on the loose killing off my friends one by one" like "Teddy Bear's Picnic" or Bach's "Wachet Auf..." Anyway, I've been able to ID all but one song, the one in the vid. Kudos to anyone who has any idea on what this is or who wrote it. Thanks in advance!

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 08:29:17 PM »
Yeah the game was pretty fun, I just wish the music didn't suck so much, they shouldn't used cool songs like the nes one. I used to hum those songs in the shower.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline jgy666

• Awards
Re: Unknown Song - C64 Game
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:34:57 AM »
Yeah, I like it. Aside from everything that's wrong with the game, I can appreciate the fact that it tried something different. Kind of like the NES version of "Friday the 13th", "Simon's Quest" and other games that are widely hated - I think alot of them were ahead of their time in terms of gameplay and just weren't accepted and never really given a chance by alot of people.

More so "Friday..." than "Simon's Quest" I believe. Most people play it for 5 minutes, get their asses handed to them by Jason, and resort to "This game sucks!" and never play it again. "Friday..." had that same 3D/2D world going on like "Simon's Quest" did where it was a 2D side-scroller but you had to remember that you were navigating a 3D map.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:29:36 PM »
Yeah, I like it. Aside from everything that's wrong with the game, I can appreciate the fact that it tried something different. Kind of like the NES version of "Friday the 13th", "Simon's Quest" and other games that are widely hated - I think alot of them were ahead of their time in terms of gameplay and just weren't accepted and never really given a chance by alot of people.

More so "Friday..." than "Simon's Quest" I believe. Most people play it for 5 minutes, get their asses handed to them by Jason, and resort to "This game sucks!" and never play it again. "Friday..." had that same 3D/2D world going on like "Simon's Quest" did where it was a 2D side-scroller but you had to remember that you were navigating a 3D map.

Yeah, that's really what kept me playing though, I used to play the nes f13th because it was so hard, I always loved trying to find all the  clues and power ups and trying to place your counselors on the map jus. right so you could get to the kiddies when Jason would go after them. It's also the only nes game I can think of where if you walk in a straight line long enough health just materializes  out of the air. (which really helps if Jason is being a dick) I also really loved Jason's cloths in the game, I think they look better than all the f13th films.

Offline jgy666

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:47:10 AM »
In Reply To #4

I've actually gotten pretty good at them over time, but I think everybody got owned by Jason at first. Mostly because we were unaware that you could actually dodge in the 3D sequences and the fact that you can switch to the councelor being attacked as opposed to the popular belief that you actually have to walk all the way to them.

The PC one is pretty neat too, just in a different way from the NES version. It's just too short and there is no ending to it, you just play through with about 5 characters and then it starts with Gerry again... one of those "see who can get the highest score" games I suppose.

I can't place that song for the life of me! It sounds familiar and it has to be either a classical or children's song. That's pretty bad that they couldn't even compose an original score for the game, just sequence a bunch of familiar tunes and put that line about "see if you can name them all!" in the manual... like we're really supposed to buy that that was intentional and not just laziness?

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 10:19:01 PM »

I've actually gotten pretty good at them over time, but I think everybody got owned by Jason at first. Mostly because we were unaware that you could actually dodge in the 3D sequences and the fact that you can switch to the councelor being attacked as opposed to the popular belief that you actually have to walk all the way to them.

Me too, I can beat it no problem now, the trick is to go after Jason outside if you can for the 3rd round, if you have the torch he's a breeze. Speaking of endings, the ending for the nes one was a letdown too, it would have been cool to at least see some credits and a picture of whoever survived leaving or something.

The PC one is pretty neat too, just in a different way from the NES version. It's just too short and there is no ending to it, you just play through with about 5 characters and then it starts with Gerry again... one of those "see who can get the highest score" games I suppose.

Yeah I need to play it again, it's fun but I just have to turn the sound off cuz it's so bad or put something else on in the background. It would have been cool if it had an actual ending instead of just starting over.

I can't place that song for the life of me! It sounds familiar and it has to be either a classical or children's song. That's pretty bad that they couldn't even compose an original score for the game, just sequence a bunch of familiar tunes and put that line about "see if you can name them all!" in the manual... like we're really supposed to buy that that was intentional and not just laziness?

Probably laziness that one may have been made up just for the game and may be the only original track in it.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 02:43:25 AM »
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 02:45:32 AM by A-Yty »

Offline jgy666

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 02:58:45 PM »
In Reply To #7

Wow, that's it alright. Cool.

I did a little research and it turns out it is the theme to a TV show called "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and the Monty Python skit is a parody of the show and song. Evedently the tune was rather well-known in the UK, and seeing as how the PC version of the game was only released in Europe, I guess it all makes sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Robin_Hood_%28TV_series%29

Thanks alot for all the help. That one had been giving me some trouble... I don't recall ever seeing that show, yet the tune seemed familiar. Eh, beats me. Well, all in all mystery solved. Thanks again!

Tags: