Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848929 times)

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Re: Castlevania Mirror of Fate ( 3DS per request )
« Reply #1575 on: May 30, 2012, 12:28:47 PM »
+4
The reboot wasn`t necessary. The series had established timeline and characters.

I respect your opinion 100%, but I'll also disagree with it 100%.
The timeline was inconsistent and ultimately a mess. I for one totally lost interest in completing the later portable games. This reboot is a fresh breath of reimagination.
http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1576 on: May 30, 2012, 12:31:45 PM »
May 30, 2012, 12:31:45 PM - Hidden.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:33:22 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #1577 on: May 30, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »
+2
Some might say a reboot is still necessary. There's no way to sugar coat the fact that the original canon would have to reset sooner or later. Sooner would be preferable.

Since this is a separate timeline, it doesn't have to be a reboot of Castlevania. Just an alternate start.

Offline Mr.Bushido

• Vampire Hunter
  • I'm the insect woman
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1578 on: May 30, 2012, 12:35:23 PM »

Don't give him attention. This ain't 2010 anymore you know
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:38:11 PM by Mr.Bushido »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1579 on: May 30, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »
Don't worry Angevil, from the looks of it it seems like LoS is just going to be a sub-series of the Castlevania franchise that is going to do its own thing. The old timeline still exists.

*rubs*

:)   
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:40:52 PM by Nagumo »

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #1580 on: May 30, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
It exists, but is it going to be revisited? I'd like to say definitely, but how can we be sure?

And if they get back to it eventually, will it get the same kind of resources LoS is getting?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:41:14 PM by A-Yty »

Offline Mr.Bushido

• Vampire Hunter
  • I'm the insect woman
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1581 on: May 30, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »
+1
I hope this two games are the last we get from MS. Also I think its pretty obvious that MoF is the game oriented to please the old fans, so I bet the old canon won't be revisited anytime soon.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1582 on: May 30, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »
It exists, but is it going to be revisited? I'd like to say definitely, but how can we be sure?

I'd say there's a pretty good chance they will. First of all, it would be absolutely ridiculous if they would just leave us hanging with the old storyline. We don't know why the Belmont family forgot about their own heritage and gave the whip to the Morris family and why they can't touch the whip until the 1999 battle which they haven't given us a answer to after six years.

But aside from that, there is still the fact that since Lords of Shadow got announced we got a total of six stories set in the old timeline, namely: Adventure Rebirth, the Pachislot Akumajo Dracula trilogy, Harmony of Despair and Encore of the Night. Not stories that really contribute anything to the timeline, 4 are set in an alternate timeline, two are just retellings of Castlevania III and Symphony of the Night and one is crisis cross over game with a weird plot. But despite of that, the intent seems clear that they still wish to use the old verse as a backdrop for new stories. We just have to wait until they finally add a story that is actually substantial and progresses the plot.

I also have a feeling that they maybe are going to wrap up the LoS storyline very quickly. We know that Jason Isaacs (the voice of Satan) is involved with a LoS game, so it's possible that we'll arrive at the end of the LoS timeline sooner than expected. This is further supported by the fact that MoF seems to have a story that spans generations, indicating they want to rush through the timeline pretty fast. So after MercurySteam is done they maybe are going to hand back the reins to somebody (or multiple people) who wish to continue the old verse again.                   
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:05:56 PM by Nagumo »

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1583 on: May 30, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »
+1
2-D Sprite hacking with the new Trevor and Simon redesign starts in 3.... 2.... 1....  ;D
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1584 on: May 30, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »
+1
You take a good look at the classic timeline and you tell me it DIDNT need a fresh start. There was almost no room left for new games.
I think it's all perspective. If YOU can't find room, that's you. I'd certainly be able to find room. The time between LoI and CV3, for instance, is ripe for the picking, where Belmonts are hunting other vampires before their paths finally cross with Dracula in CV3. You can also explore the fruition of the Morris clan, what they did while the Belmonts were doing their own thing and such. Incorporate new villains into the fold(many disliked the idea that Dracula was ALWAYS the final boss, which in itself, made the timeline more cluttered). Maybe make a sub-series within the original continuity where the Morris clan is hunting Olrox or Elizabeth Bartley. I always thought the sky was the limit as far as possiblities were concerned. The only limitations I see are the ones people let themselves believe there are.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:11:31 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #1585 on: May 30, 2012, 01:35:54 PM »
I'd say there's a pretty good chance they will. First of all, it would be absolutely ridiculous if they would just leave us hanging with the old storyline. We don't know why the Belmont family forgot about their own heritage and gave the whip to the Morris family and why they can't touch the whip until the 1999 battle which they haven't given us a answer to after six years.

But aside from that, there is still the fact that since Lords of Shadow got announced we got a total of six stories set in the old timeline, namely: Adventure Rebirth, the Pachislot Akumajo Dracula trilogy, Harmony of Despair and Encore of the Night. Not stories that really contribute anything to the timeline, 4 are set in an alternate timeline, two are just retellings of Castlevania III and Symphony of the Night and one is crisis cross over game with a weird plot. But despite of that, the intent seems clear that they still wish to use the old verse as a backdrop for new stories. We just have to wait until they finally add a story that is actually substantial and progresses the plot.

I also have a feeling that they maybe are going to wrap up the LoS storyline very quickly. We know that Jason Isaacs (the voice of Satan) is involved with a LoS game, so it's possible that we'll arrive at the end of the LoS timeline sooner than expected. This is further supported by the fact that MoF seems to have a story that spans generations, indicating they want to rush through the timeline pretty fast. So after MercurySteam is done they maybe are going to hand back the reins to somebody (or multiple people) who wish to continue the old verse again.                   

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if they revisit the old timeline, but if they do, I'd be willing to be money that it won't be in a "alright, were did we leave off?" fashion. If LoS continues to be successful, then Konami will no doubt attempt to bring some of that success "back home" if they attempt to make games in the old continuity.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1586 on: May 30, 2012, 01:42:40 PM »
+3
I remember there being a ton of hype for AoS, and it lived up to it in my humble opinion. Granted, this was in 2003 for a GBA game, but there's a reason the CV titles for it are always listed at or near the top.

I think Redrum was the resident buzzkill during the hype for that game, iirc.

Also, Hodespair was released just a little before Lords, and I remember Cox-kun saying that it, in conjunction with Lords, meant that Castlevania was still going strong. This was just two years ago, so the old series isn't dead.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1587 on: May 30, 2012, 01:49:13 PM »
I remember there being a ton of hype for AoS, and it lived up to it in my humble opinion. Granted, this was in 2003 for a GBA game, but there's a reason the CV titles for it are always listed at or near the top.

I think Redrum was the resident buzzkill during the hype for that game, iirc.

Also, Hodespair was released just a little before Lords, and I remember Cox-kun saying that it, in conjunction with Lords, meant that Castlevania was still going strong. This was just two years ago, so the old series isn't dead.

We can only hope Konami hasn't completely sold out and continues the classic timeline after MS has moved on to another franchise.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1588 on: May 30, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
+1

You have to admit though, there were more than enough chances given to Iga to explain all this. He just totally failed to do so.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1589 on: May 30, 2012, 01:58:54 PM »
This reboot sucks. Castlevania RIP.
Castlevania is alive.
Trolls should RIP.

Now some idiot thought they will launch a new series with the same name, make it kind of similar in some aspects, take those established characters and mix them up into a vomit.
But it`s wrong, it is just wrong.
Your reality is dark and twisted.
What you perceive as "wrong" is allright for many others.
And Castlevania was in dire need of new blood and new ideas.

We don't know why the Belmont family forgot about their own heritage and gave the whip to the Morris family and why they can't touch the whip until the 1999 battle which they haven't given us a answer to after six years.
It is problems of IGA storytelling he could adress pretty much whenever he wanted to. He didn't because, he either don't care or don't know himself what to do with the storyline.
Or maybe he awaiting for a chance to make a new CV project that will answer those questions. But given the situation with the series, I doubt he will be able to do it soon and even complete answers to all this questions wouldn't be in high demand by many people after so many years and few games in separate timeline. In another words, aside from bunch of "ye olden" fans nobody in the future will be interested in some obcure details regarding old timeline. Everyone will be waiting for the new chapter of the LOS story or a new reboot. The best thing that he can do in current situation is to briefly sum up those answers on Twitter and put an end to the misery of the fans and OT.

But aside from that, there is still the fact that since Lords of Shadow got announced we got a total of six stories set in the old timeline
Six games, not six stories, since Encore is SOTN remake and Pachislots barely count as anything. Maybe only as "alternate timeline to the old timeline". HD had a pathetic excuse for the story. I am not sure, if this should be counted seriously as a fullfleshed CV entry. Those games were milking famous name for what it worth. Castlevania Tetris? Seriously? So, nothing significant was done.
Those projects were done most likely to only fill the gap and give time to create something really worthy of the Castlevania name. LOS.

I'd certainly be able to find room
Of course you can fill every single (free) space in the timeline with games and create as many subseries as you want, but the problem is Castlevania, as many people see it, is a series about Belmonts and Dracula (something that was lost in the latter years) and eventually there would neccesity to return to that plot. And when you'll try...forces of light help you, because you'll need it to put a new game about fight between Belmonts and Dracula in the Old Timeline without amassing retcons and hatred of "devoted" fans.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:00:43 PM by Sumac »

Tags: .....?