Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848972 times)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2565 on: June 07, 2012, 05:24:03 PM »
Ok, got another Alucard theory.  I'll put it in spoilers just because it seems Alucard's origin is meant to be a mystery at this point.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #2566 on: June 07, 2012, 05:26:13 PM »
+3
And Castlevania doesn't need to be sprite based to be a Castlevania game.   

True, but when the majority of your classic, most beloved of the Castlevanias are sprite-based, not to mention the majority of them (Currently only 6 Castlevanias are in 3D, and one is 2.5D. The rest of the 20ish games are all sprite-based 2D), then you have to understand that alot of the fanbase is going to lean towards what we know has worked well in the past when it comes to good Castlevania games.

Keep in mind, both of the 64 games were not really too well received overall, and Lament & Curse were given high expectations that just didn't measure up. (not bagging on those games, just stating observations from my 10 years in the community) Now you have Lords of Shadow that has pretty much divided the fanbase more-so than it already was.

You cannot fault those of us who prefer the 2D sprite-based Castlevanias and want them to return in some capacity in new games, because those games were what built this fanbase to what it's been for the first decade of the franchise.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2567 on: June 07, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
+1
Ok, got another Alucard theory.  I'll put it in spoilers just because it seems Alucard's origin is meant to be a mystery at this point.

(click to show/hide)

Why spoiler a theory? I mean, there's now way to know if this will even be on the game at all.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2568 on: June 07, 2012, 05:31:32 PM »
June 07, 2012, 05:31:32 PM - Hidden.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2569 on: June 07, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »
+1
The bottom line is this. Castlevania is whatever Konami decides it to be, and they have left that in the hands of Mercury Steam now.

LOS copies God of War no more or less than Symphony of the Night copied super Metriod.

I remember playing SOTN for the first time and laughing at how big of a Metriod rip off Castlevania had become.

So anyone who tries to make this weak God of War rip off accusation had best not be a SOTN fan, lest they come off as a complete hypocrites.
Being a GoW rip off is not what makes a game good or bad, like I've said multiple times here. Just like having copied Metroid style of explorations ins't what makes SOTN good or bad.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #2570 on: June 07, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »
+1
Why spoiler a theory? I mean, there's now way to know if this will even be on the game at all.
Just in case someone didn't want to have the idea in their head when playing the game.  Don't know if it is needed, I'm just siding on the side of caution.  Some people might want to be completely surprised at Alucard's origin when playing the game, rather than already have every conceivable possibility already taken into consideration.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:37:58 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2571 on: June 07, 2012, 05:35:39 PM »
+1
Eh I just get mad when people write something off as crap just because it isn't what they wanted.  Or isn't perfection.  That's all.

Other forums I'm on act like it must be this way and that way and all that crap.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2572 on: June 07, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
Eh I just get mad when people write something off as crap just because it isn't what they wanted.  Or isn't perfection.  That's all.

Other forums I'm on act like it must be this way and that way and all that crap.
Reboots are always like that. Changes brings not only good things, but bad things too. Not everyone have open mind when it comes to their favourite games.

Reboots can go two ways: The changes are made and people are surprised/like them, or they finds that it doesn't fits the franchise. And considering this is a forum, you'll see oppinion from the two ends.

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2573 on: June 07, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »
+4
So anyone who tries to make this weak God of War rip off accusation had best not be a SOTN fan, lest they come off as a complete hypocrites.

Unless of course they like Metroid and hate God of War. Then calling SotN a Metroid ripoff is a compliment but calling LoS a GoW ripoff is still an insult.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2574 on: June 07, 2012, 05:54:47 PM »
+4
There are other CV forums? LoL, why even bother with those.

dungeon4life

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #2575 on: June 07, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »
I use other forums from time to time. However, this one is the most active.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2576 on: June 07, 2012, 06:03:16 PM »
+1
There are forums not dedicated to Castlevania that, when a new one is about to be released, start discussing about the series.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2577 on: June 07, 2012, 06:05:38 PM »
Game looks cool so far. As much as I've complained about QTEs they aren't really a deal breaker for me. My main concerns thus far are:

1. Why are on screen sentences still telling me that I need to come back all the time? Hopefully these are a one time tutorial thing, but I'd like for the game to have more visual cues on what to do to stuff rather than hitting me over the head with it. I know R grabs dammit, I don't have Alzheimer's! (At the very least, they should let us turn these off.)
2. As this is a little more exploration focused, I hope falling from heights doesn't cause you to have to redo the jump over and over like in LoS. Just do fall damage if you must, or add spikes or something. (Actually I can see fall damage making platforming pretty tense.)
3. Hope framerate and performance don't chug too much.
4. Also hope enemies have more to them than swipe, unblockable swipe, and shockwave. Expanding on that, I hope Titans do more than projectile, jiggle, and scratch an itch.
5. Though I'm excited about multiple characters, having three Belmonts seems a little redundant, and I hope one part doesn't overshadow or gimp another, like in Devil May Cry 4.

Looks damn cool though.

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2578 on: June 07, 2012, 06:10:27 PM »
Well it is a demo.  Even so, it will probably tell you only once.  Which is all you would need.  There is a couple months until actual release so I'm sure balancing and stuff be done inbetween now and final release.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2579 on: June 07, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »
+1

1. Why are on screen sentences still telling me that I need to come back all the time? Hopefully these are a one time tutorial thing, but I'd like for the game to have more visual cues on what to do to stuff rather than hitting me over the head with it. I know R grabs dammit, I don't have Alzheimer's! (At the very least, they should let us turn these off.)
2. As this is a little more exploration focused, I hope falling from heights doesn't cause you to have to redo the jump over and over like in LoS. Just do fall damage if you must, or add spikes or something. (Actually I can see fall damage making platforming pretty tense.)
3. Hope framerate and performance don't chug too much.
4. Also hope enemies have more to them than swipe, unblockable swipe, and shockwave. Expanding on that, I hope Titans do more than projectile, jiggle, and scratch an itch.
5. Though I'm excited about multiple characters, having three Belmonts seems a little redundant, and I hope one part doesn't overshadow or gimp another, like in Devil May Cry 4.

Looks damn cool though.

I really hate how games these days hold your hand so much even when you don't want them to.  It really takes away from the game IMO when you never have to think about what to do and just wait for the game to say; GO HERE! PUSH THIS BUTTON!  It becomes rather mindless and takes away from the immersion.

Tags: .....?