Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848524 times)

Offline Keldor

• Hunter in Training
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3405 on: July 29, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »
Man does cox come across a little arrogant in this interview or what? How many times does he say this is the most successful vania game and we brought it to all new fans? If symphony of the night was released now instead of 1997 it would have been the best selling vania game ever. It's all timing, theres a way bigger market for video games now than ever and it was the first big budget vania game in years. I for one liked Los but really didn't care for the story. I felt that he butchered the story that was actually pretty good.
Bnl4life

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3406 on: July 29, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »
+1
Good interview, but it's pretty dumb that Cox thinks Lords is less of a depature from the old series than Symphony was. I wish he would just stop saying Lords is "returning to the roots" and stick to his old story about how it's going to be completely different. He really should make up his mind about that.       

But whatever, he said himself it's all a matter of perception.

It is incredibly annoying. Its not campy like the first few games, nor does it capture any of the gothic beauty that the Iga games did. His vision is completely different. While that isn't necessarily bad, he should at least admit its not the same.

I agree with Keldor about Cox sounding arrogant about how many copies they've sold. Lords had much better marketing than previous releases, and they clearly tried to create a game similar to popular games like God of War 3 and ride on their coattails rather than do something original. Its nothing to be proud of.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3407 on: July 29, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »
+1
At least, if LoS games aren't that original, they're selling and that's good for the series.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3408 on: July 29, 2012, 10:45:14 PM »
+1
Regardless of the fact that LoS rode on the coattails of other modern games, received a bucket load of more advertisement, and was promoted like crazy, the point is, it outsold most other games of the series. I don't know why a producer wouldn't be proud that the game he worked on sold and was popular. I will agree that he did sound really arrogant, however, but I can still agree with (some of) what he said.

And yeah, the feel in LoS is drastically different. Just like RE5, the game was TOO DAMN BRIGHT.

Besides, since the LoS series is actually making sales come in for the franchise, we can hope more games can come on out.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3409 on: July 30, 2012, 12:02:33 AM »
Regardless of the fact that LoS rode on the coattails of other modern games, received a bucket load of more advertisement, and was promoted like crazy, the point is, it outsold most other games of the series. I don't know why a producer wouldn't be proud that the game he worked on sold and was popular. I will agree that he did sound really arrogant, however, but I can still agree with (some of) what he said.

And yeah, the feel in LoS is drastically different. Just like RE5, the game was TOO DAMN BRIGHT.

Besides, since the LoS series is actually making sales come in for the franchise, we can hope more games can come on out.
What do you mean "regardless"? I pretty much believe what you listed is the MAIN reasons it sold so well. It was the most "mainstream friendly" CV title of the series. Choosing to make it "ride on the coattails" of other franchises establishes a sense of familiarity with other gamers. People who like GoW or Uncharted can play the game and say, "Hey, it feels familiar!", and those two series have pretty large fanbases.

And as for hope of new games, it's actually something I'd have to think about. When a series does something to warrant a massive flow of profit, what ever "choice" made seems to be the one used more in the future. Look at the castletroids. SotN made it famous in the series and they overkilled it. Even without MS or Cox heading the CV series after the LoS series is complete, I'm kinda scared that they'll still continue on the heavy combat style(where it takes an ass-long time to kill normal enemies), QTE, Hollywood movie-esque score, shimmying/plank walking and Titan-esque SotC-style battles "Just because LoS did it, and LoS made a buttload of money"(which to companies, is as good as any excuse to milk the concept for all it's got). That's not the road I'd want the future CVs post-LoS to take, but if LoS DID have that sort of "groundbreaking" effect on the series, i don't doubt that just might be what lies in CV's future.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:06:31 AM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3410 on: July 30, 2012, 12:38:06 AM »
I mean exactly what I said, and I know I listed the reasons why it sold. It STILL outsold most of the other games.

If the last two games of the LoS trilogy do well, then no doubt we'll be seeing more Castlevania titles. The only problem I really have out of anything you listed, though, was the music. The soundtrack was good, but it falls under my category of forgettable, which not a single other Castlevania title did, except for Legends.

Truth be told, with all the coattail riding, I wouldn't be surprised if there was co-op in some form in LoS2. I personally wouldn't complain about it (to each their own), but if they DID do it, I'd prefer if it were in the same vein as Halo 3 rather than RE5*.

* = Meaning there is two player co-op, but the game can flow smoothly if there isn't a second player. No forced gimmicks, etc.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:43:08 AM by Claimh Solais »
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3411 on: July 30, 2012, 05:56:56 AM »
Man does cox come across a little arrogant in this interview or what?

Nothing new, that.  Ever since his original Chapel interview, he laid his cards on the table and backed himself and Mercurysteam.  He knew they’d upset some people.  He was absolutely right, of course.

He could have probably argued more the grounds/benefit of starting a new Konami Intellectual Property in Lords of Shadow and avoided a lot of the shit that came his way, but he stepped into the series limelight—a fabulous full moonlight bathing long standing (or recently departed but unforgotten) staff at Konami like IGA, Ayami Kojima and Chiru-chiru Yamane.

Whatever happens, however good or bad the game, he had the balls to take it on.

He may even have brought money to the Konami coffers and ensured the series future.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3412 on: July 30, 2012, 06:44:29 AM »
He could have probably argued more the grounds/benefit of starting a new Konami Intellectual Property in Lords of Shadow and avoided a lot of the shit that came his way
Deny higher ups decisions because of the bunch of "IGA" school fans rage? LOL. That is not how business is made.
There are not scary at all with all they "rage" and Konami and Castlevania as the whole benefitted from this approach, no matter naysayers.

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3413 on: July 30, 2012, 07:24:50 AM »
Deny higher ups decisions because of the bunch of "IGA" school fans rage? LOL. That is not how business is made.
There are not scary at all with all they "rage" and Konami and Castlevania as the whole benefitted from this approach, no matter naysayers.

You haven't met some of us on a dark night. ;)

But of course it’s business, this whole passage of series play has brightly illustrated that.  To some, the series has been dragged from the Forest of Monsters into Mirkwood.  I don't quite agree but I can see where they're coming from.

To my mind the easier option would have been new IP.  No baggage, no media battles or fan fallout, no expectations to live up to; the storyline would have gotten a free pass.  Konami may even have trialled/co-ordinated such a plan.

It took balls for Cox to step up to the challenge.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3414 on: July 30, 2012, 08:06:52 AM »
+3
Of course Sumac turns it into IGA vs Cox again. Cut it out already.

Dominus Agony

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3416 on: July 30, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »
I'm confused. Where was all this marketing that Lords of Shadow had? I don't remember seeing it.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3417 on: July 30, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »
Of course Sumac turns it into IGA vs Cox again. Cut it out already.
Please, take control over your imagination. It's runing wild again.
I am not turning it into anything. I am merely stating fact, that main opposition for the LOS is mainly consist out of fans of "metroidvania / IGAvania" style. Or at least it looks like it, 'cause in debates about gameplay and atmosphere LOS is mostly compared to "metroidvania" games, rather than classics. Maybe because it's closer to the classic games and arguments of LOS-haters people who have a certain disliking of the LOS for various reasons, wouldn't hold much weight in that case...

You haven't met some of us on a dark night.
Meh. My flask of Holy Water and Baseball Bat are always ready.  ;D

To my mind the easier option would have been new IP.  No baggage, no media battles or fan fallout, no expectations to live up to; the storyline would have gotten a free pass.  Konami may even have trialled/co-ordinated such a plan.
On the other hand, making new IP nowadays require a bigger effort, than to setup continuation for the already established franchise. While you're right about baggage and expectations, from business stand point, new game in the series is much easier to advertize, not to mention there is alaredy pre-established fanbase no matter how sometimes divided it could be. Experience shows that fans will buy pretty much anything with the label from they favorite series (out of habit or false hopes), even if they claim, and often, comes as of rabid haters of said franchise. Sonic is quite an example of this. Final Fantasy seemingly becoming like that, I believe.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3418 on: July 30, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »
I still hold the belief that had Hollywood (Spielberg, Del Toro, etc.) been given the chance to direct a Castlevania movie, LoS would've been the result. Which is why I and many others here have grown to appreciate it more. It's an "elsewords" Castlevania, and it's run will end shortly.

That said, Cox confirmed that LoS was the way it was [aesthetic-wise] because it was a pre-Dracula world (case in point, the "bright" areas, lack of familiar enemies, etc.). Millol of Fate and LoS2 should and will have more Castlevania (or should i say Draculian) elements that would make us happy. The gameplay is hit or miss at this point; some of us will like it, some of us won't (*coughshimmying*cough*titans*cough). But the LoS2 trailer/MoF artwork seems to prove that MercurioSteam are finally attempting to marry all the styles of CV together. At least that's what me am thank o.o;

I'm confused. Where was all this marketing that Lords of Shadow had? I don't remember seeing it.

Well LoS was packaged in as a PS3 bundle across the globe (along with MGS4), so that alone boosted sales. The "Castlevania Reborn" tagline helped a lot I think, cuz lets face it, customers/consumers love to see "reboots" nowadays whether it be a familiar property or not. Add to that the huge magazine coverage (arguably more so than any of the DS 'Vanias), in-store promotions, recognizable/iconic voice cast, etc. The only thing that was missing was commercials (which, oddly enough, Lament of Innocence had the benefit of having, and a badass one at that). Japan had a commercial, but it was stupid and awkward.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow commercial PS3 sony playstation3 JP jpn japanese japan

edit: hooray 4000 posts  :)  can i has cookie?

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3419 on: July 30, 2012, 05:54:35 PM »
If symphony of the night was released now instead of 1997 it would have been the best selling vania game ever.

Not sure if that would be true since if this were the case circle of the moon would be the best selling then LoI then CV64, depending on the time released chances are SOTN would have sold less if it was released in 2010 instead of 1997.

But here is my question yes Los is the best selling CV game, but is over a million sold even that much of an accomplishment now adays? There are so many series that some how sell millions. I mean it did sell better than other m, enslaved, vanquished, but less than say bayonetta, DMC4,and Dantes Inferno. So does Cox really have the right to bloat. To me yes and no at one point it did sell well,but not as well as the heavy hitters. 

Regardless of the fact that LoS rode on the coattails of other modern games, received a bucket load of more advertisement, and was promoted like crazy

I cannot really remember if it was promoted like crazy, yet around the time of release LoS had no commercials at all compared to enslaved or vanquished or the high budget commercial of other m just the Japanese one and I saw no big articles in game magazines except for a Spanish one, but that is just me this was two years ago so I really do not remeber. I would say that compared to now Los is being promoted like crazy  :)
heck CV got not one, but two game covers well three if you count the special cover fo NP and the GI E3 special cover in two months. I just hope for some badace commercials in the upcoming months.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Tags: .....? 

anything