Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848403 times)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3765 on: August 22, 2012, 08:56:13 PM »
+1
You say that, but I feel like everyone's forgetting the fact the MoF already IS about bridging that gap.

-2D perspective
-Metroidvania style exploration
-Darker atmosphere
-More platforming
-Traditonal Belmonts
-Heart sub-weapon system
-The CASTLE

To say Cox isn't listening with Mirror of Fate is absurd. The fact of the matter is everyone is going bonkers over one video taken by a non-professional, because, OMG, a skeleton took 3 too many hits.

Let's ignore the fact that throughout that video, there was maybe one or two real combos. He also spammed area attacks on melee enemies, never sync blocked, refused to use shadow magic, and over all played like a novice, if LoS is any measurement. And saying this to a Castlevania community, I'd think people would understand the attitude behind "play poorly get poor results". That, or Cox really is spot on with his Metroidvania assessment.

But that's honestly beside the point. This game was never supposed to be a Classicvania or a Metroidvania. Sure, it has elements, but at its core it's supposed to be a 2D rendition of Lords of Shadow, and what Lords of Shadow was most praised for was its combat, so reducing enemies to 1-2 hits with weak attacks would be entirely against the design philosophy. At that point, there really wouldn't be much point to combat other than being a platforming obstacle, which I know is what some people desperately want.

You don't have to like everything about MoF, and if you really are completely put off by the game's direction you have the right to be so, but at least understand that too much more "listening" and eventually you have a game that MercurySteam wasn't trying to make in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:00:32 PM by e105beta »

Offline Havatchu

• Beau Shion
  • Hunter in Training
  • Gaze Upon Me Hypocrite
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3766 on: August 22, 2012, 09:12:19 PM »
You say that, but I feel like everyone's forgetting the fact the MoF already IS about bridging that gap.

-2D perspective
-Darker atmosphere
-More platforming
-Traditonal Belmonts
-Heart sub-weapon system
-The CASTLE

To say Cox isn't listening with Mirror of Fate is absurd. The fact of the matter is everyone is going bonkers over one video taken by a non-professional, because, OMG, a skeleton took 3 too many hits.

Let's ignore the fact that throughout that video, there was maybe one or two real combos. He also spammed area attacks on melee enemies, never sync blocked, refused to use shadow magic, and over all played like a novice, if LoS is any measurement. And saying this to a Castlevania community, I'd think people would understand the attitude behind "play poorly get poor results". That, or Cox really is spot on with his Metroidvania assessment.

But that's honestly beside the point. This game was never supposed to be a Classicvania or a Metroidvania. Sure, it has elements, but at its core it's supposed to be a 2D rendition of Lords of Shadow, and what Lords of Shadow was most praised for was its combat, so reducing enemies to 1-2 hits with weak attacks would be entirely against the design philosophy. At that point, there really wouldn't be much point to combat other than being a platforming obstacle, which I know is what some people desperately want.

You don't have to like everything about MoF, and if you really are completely put off by the game's direction you have the right to be so, but at least understand that too much more "listening" and eventually you have a game that MercurySteam wasn't trying to make in the first place.

I just want a reason to get a 3DS other than this game and potentially Shin Megami Tensei 4.  >:(
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:18:47 PM by Havatchu »
Reluctant fighting game, Mega Man/X, Dragon Quest, and Castlevania lifelong fan.

What do I do with all these Belmonts?

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3767 on: August 22, 2012, 09:13:31 PM »
I just want a reason to get a 3DS other than this game and potentially Shin Megami Tensei.  >:(

Paper Mario 3DS? KH: Dream Drop Distance?

Offline Havatchu

• Beau Shion
  • Hunter in Training
  • Gaze Upon Me Hypocrite
    • Awards
« Reply #3768 on: August 22, 2012, 09:14:39 PM »

Nah, I think I had my fill of both with Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, and KH 1.

How far backwards is the 3DS backwards compatible with?
Reluctant fighting game, Mega Man/X, Dragon Quest, and Castlevania lifelong fan.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3769 on: August 22, 2012, 09:16:07 PM »
I just want a reason to get a 3DS other than this game and potentially Shin Megami Tensei.  >:(

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3770 on: August 22, 2012, 09:24:11 PM »
Nah, I think I had my fill of both with Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, and KH 1.

How far backwards is the 3DS backwards compatible with?

Just the DS, I'm afraid

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3771 on: August 22, 2012, 09:24:39 PM »
+1

-2D perspective
-Darker atmosphere
-More platforming
-Traditonal Belmonts
-Heart sub-weapon system
-The CASTLE

In all fairness, despite my complaints being the same as the others, im willing to give this game a fair shot. I like the fact that it is a Metroidvania, it takes place in a dark castle, we got our Dracula, it's 2D (well 2.5D but ehh close enough) multiple playable characters. Im already curious about the story and how it all leads up to LOS2 (and I want to see how Trevor got Vergil'ed).

Offline Havatchu

• Beau Shion
  • Hunter in Training
  • Gaze Upon Me Hypocrite
    • Awards
« Reply #3772 on: August 22, 2012, 09:26:03 PM »
Fire Emblem: Awakening

Will look into.

Just the DS, I'm afraid

That's fair enough, that's pretty much all I needed to hear since I have a GBA, but still want a GBA player for my Gamecube.

Tensei: Strange Journey and Dark Tower (Maybe Dark Spire?) are the only DS games other than the Castlevania and Mega Man ZX games I've been interested in the entire DS era.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:32:18 PM by Havatchu »

Offline Johnny Alucard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Shanoa x Monica OTP
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3773 on: August 22, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »

You forgot Kid Icarus: Uprising, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure, and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

Plus there's that Hotel Transylvania game that looks so heavily Metroidvania inspired.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3774 on: August 22, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »
It seems like I keep seeing this game being referred to as a Metroidvania. I remember Cox going out of his way to explain that it won't be.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3775 on: August 22, 2012, 10:52:43 PM »
Plus there's that Hotel Transylvania game that looks so heavily Metroidvania inspired.
Yeah, I saw screens of it. It looks awesome. Wayforward, no less. Why in the hell doesn't Konami get them to crank out some 2D(some, as in more than one) CVs?

It seems like I keep seeing this game being referred to as a Metroidvania. I remember Cox going out of his way to explain that it won't be.
It's splitting hairs. Cox probably finds some elaborate way to say how un-Metroidvania his games are because some "stigma" attached to that word. I still see it like this:

Vanilla Ice - Itty Bitty Ting

When you put so much energy to go out of your way to tell people it's not what they think, who are you REALLY trying to prove it to?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:54:41 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3776 on: August 22, 2012, 11:49:20 PM »
+1
Yeah, I saw screens of it. It looks awesome. Wayforward, no less. Why in the hell doesn't Konami get them to crank out some 2D(some, as in more than one) CVs?

Because Konami, in their infinite genius, decided WayForward's talent would be better spent on a Vita dungeon crawler Silent Hill no one will buy (half because no one asked for a non-horror Silent Hill, and half because Konami hasn't even told anyone when they're actually releasing it, just like with the MGS collection and Blades of Time).

All the hitting enemies a bunch talk reminds me... Which button does the area attack in this game? I recall hearing that it's Y, which would be really strange considering where it's placed in LoS1 (the top button, not the left one).

The way I understood it is this... It's like a Metroidvania in that the castle is one big level you traipse around, getting power ups that let you access areas previously off-limits. It's not a Metroidvania in that you don't get loots or beef up your character by killing guys, as experience is strictly for buying new combos.

So in this way, a better comparison might be just the Metroid games, where powering up means you have to hunt around the levels for items rather than having them drop from guys.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:04:47 AM by Munchy »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3777 on: August 23, 2012, 02:45:13 AM »
All the hitting enemies a bunch talk reminds me... Which button does the area attack in this game? I recall hearing that it's Y, which would be really strange considering where it's placed in LoS1 (the top button, not the left one).

If this is the case then that is a really stupid & pointless design choice. Moving buttons around in a sequel will just confuse players and lead to said 'poor' play style.
"Stuff and things."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3778 on: August 23, 2012, 03:05:01 AM »
It's splitting hairs. Cox probably finds some elaborate way to say how un-Metroidvania his games are because some "stigma" attached to that word. I still see it like this:

Vanilla Ice - Itty Bitty Ting

We can't really know that for sure until it comes out, though. I just remember the interview that came out around E3 where he stressed for several minutes how MoF isn't a Metroidvania. To me, it seemed like the gaming press was quick to throw the label on the game, and that was his way of telling them that a Metroidvania isn't something they should expect from this.

...oooooooorrrr yeah, he could just be full of crap. It could go either way.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3779 on: August 23, 2012, 05:47:05 AM »
+1
Enemies taking over 9000 hits to kill is just counter intuitive in a tight 2D action game. The combat for Mirror of Fate is rooted in 3D gameplay theory, and restricting it to 2D is really hurting it.

If this was 3D, you could just go around the enemy and continue attacking, keeping the combat flowing and rake in more hits quickly. In 2D you need to back off, and wait. This makes slogging through the enemies a tedious and longer process than in Lords of Shadow.

Tags: .....?