Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Haunted Castle  (Read 70884 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »
All that stuff's still being worked on.

In the meantime, I'm testing out the game map, since it'll be used come the beta. Edited to include more definition on the parchment (i.e. less contrast than the original on the brighter highlights), and expanded the final stage part of the castle. Also, trying out an idea for the "here's the boss" icon. I don't want to use the red dots from the original and things like moving bats/skulls have been done to death. I loved the Lords of Shadow maps fires, so I used them as reference.

I think it looks pretty cool.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:49:48 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 08:31:30 PM »
All that stuff's still being worked on.

In the meantime, I'm testing out the game map, since it'll be used come the beta. Edited to include more definition on the parchment (i.e. less contrast than the original on the brighter highlights), and expanded the final stage part of the castle. Also, trying out an idea for the "here's the boss" icon. I don't want to use the red dots from the original and things like moving bats/skulls have been done to death. I loved the Lords of Shadow maps fires, so I used them as reference.

I think it looks pretty cool.
Maybe an animation of it curling out?

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »
I thought about doing that. But I AM going to have Simon march across the bottom in true traditional Classicvania style, so if I'm doing that, do you think leaving the map static and just sliding in like it does in the older games would work?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
You can have animations on the maps as well as Simon trotting at the bottom of the screen. They had this in CV III where the maps paths would blink as Trevor marched across the bottom.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 01:57:25 PM »
Yeah, I planned on having the level path flash to a brighter red. But since I'll probably end up doing it by changing the backgrounds rather than animating a sprite, I couldn't exactly .gif that as easily.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »
Dunno, it just bugs me when I see static map screens in games. It's my personal preference though. If you just have Simon march at the bottom of the screen then maybe depending on the stage you are going to then the stage itself briefly animates and it shows the path. Like, the fire you have there or maybe the water/waterfalls animated in the cavern area and such...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:42:36 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 06:12:19 PM »
Hm....what about a fade-in to a sort of cinematic mockup of the stage (like, game environment concept art sort of look) once Simon reaches the midway point of the screen?

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 06:26:18 PM »
Hm....what about a fade-in to a sort of cinematic mockup of the stage (like, game environment concept art sort of look) once Simon reaches the midway point of the screen?
For some reason to me that sounds more like something you would use for a loading screen and not an in-game graphic....but I could be wrong...lol

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »
Well, since the map doesn't have much purpose other than to be an intermission of sorts between stages, it kind of IS a loading screen.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 06:13:52 PM »
So, very minor update. VERY minor. Found a really simple way to get randomized piece fragmentation with a single object. Video displaying a few of the different types of piece sets.

Haunted Castle - Debug Room [Fragments Test]

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 08:25:56 PM »
So, very minor update. VERY minor. Found a really simple way to get randomized piece fragmentation with a single object. Video displaying a few of the different types of piece sets.

Haunted Castle - Debug Room [Fragments Test]
Love it!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 01:54:18 AM »
Love the statues sitting on the edges of platforms. :D
"Stuff and things."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 04:33:22 PM »
I wonder how that fragment deal looks with some good looking particles?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:38:34 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2013, 06:21:11 AM »
Pretty damn good, I'd say, as shown with the mud women and Wall Widow (even though it glitches after the stopwatch).
Haunted Castle - Debug Room [Stopwatch Test]
What the hell he's posting another damn video when will he post something other than a vi-hey, look, the stopwatch works.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2013, 06:25:18 AM »
Nice jorb!
The destructable enemies and the particles look great, and I gotta compliment you again on that awesome forward roll Simon uses.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: