Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Akumajo Dracula will also become Castlevania in Japan.  (Read 6984 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Akumajo Dracula will also become Castlevania in Japan.
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:39:36 AM »
Something trivial but that I thought was interesting. A Japanese video game chainstore called Wondergoo had a talk with Konami and they asked if Castlevania will become known as Akumajo Dracula again in Japan (LoS was called Castlevania there too) and they said that wouldn't be the case.

https://twitter.com/wondergoo_game/status/278804345783480320

They already switched briefly from Akumajo Dracula to Castlevania before from 2002 to 2003, but apperently that didn't really catch on.

Anyway, thoughts/speculations? 

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Re: Akumajo Dracula will also become Castlevania in Japan.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:44:41 AM »
I wonder where you got the info  ;D

Well, I think they're trying to keep only one name for the series worldwide. Maybe to avoid confusion? ???

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 04:45:50 AM »
Castlevania/Akumajo Dracula isn't really that strong in Japan anyways. But the decision of changing the name can bite them in the ass later...

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 04:46:42 AM »
+1
I wonder where you got the info  ;D

I have my contacts...

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 06:29:29 AM »
Akumajo Dracula officially dead?  ???

Everything comes full circle

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »
Hmmm...an interesting bit of info. With everything becoming more globalized, I can understand a unified language for the brand, but I can't help but feel a little sadness with the passing of the Akumajo name.

Well, here's to hoping Konami knows what it's doing!

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 10:32:04 AM »
+1
Akumajo Dracula officially dead?  ???
No, Castlevania is very well alive, and will continue to be so even after the LoS trilogy.

Because it's the same damn thing and I refuse to subscribe to this notion that having a different name suddenly changes it into a different franchise.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline DraculaFan1981

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »
Something trivial but that I thought was interesting. A Japanese video game chainstore called Wondergoo had a talk with Konami and they asked if Castlevania will become known as Akumajo Dracula again in Japan (LoS was called Castlevania there too) and they said that wouldn't be the case.

https://twitter.com/wondergoo_game/status/278804345783480320

They already switched briefly from Akumajo Dracula to Castlevania before from 2002 to 2003, but apperently that didn't really catch on.

Anyway, thoughts/speculations?

I wouldn't worry about it, Aria of Sorrow and Lament of Innocence were both called Castlevania instead of Akumajo Dracula, so it's just a name thing, no deeper meaning, and to announce this so near the release of Lords of Shadow 2 & Mirror of Fate means we have more to look forward to in the franchise, both iterations of the franchise eastern and western, bring great things to the table, I look forward to seeing what Konami will do with what they've learned from developing a western Castlevania and applying it to their future games.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 10:51:02 AM »
+3
No, Castlevania is very well alive, and will continue to be so even after the LoS trilogy.

Because it's the same damn thing and I refuse to subscribe to this notion that having a different name suddenly changes it into a different franchise.

It's those Operation Akumajo people that started it. Before that whole group popped up, nobody really gave a rat's ass whether it was called Akumajo Dracula or Castlevania in Japan.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 10:54:36 AM »
+1
^Actually, Cox started it too. But I agree that it doesn't matter and I don't worry about it for that reason.

I actually wouldn't mind if they would switch permanently to Castlevania because although I really like "Akumajo Dracula", it really limits what the developers can do in the story department.     
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:56:56 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »
In my opinion, I just think "Akumajo Dracula" is the Japanese name of "Castlevania". Nothing more.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »
^Actually, Cox started it too. But I agree that it doesn't matter and I don't worry about it for that reason.

I actually wouldn't mind if they would switch permanently to Castlevania because although I really like "Akumajo Dracula", it really limits what the developers can do in the story department.     

How so?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »
You can't really do anything without having to involve Dracula somehow.   

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 12:23:36 PM »
You can't really do anything without having to involve Dracula somehow.
I'm actually open to a new villain you know...

Everything comes full circle

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 01:23:22 PM »
Yes, but if it's perpetually called "Demon Castle Dracula", then it becomes awkward when you want to make a story without Dracula. Castlevania, while maybe a bit confusing to Japan back in the day if they did not know English and therefore didnt get the play on words, works out better because while it describes the same place, that is Dracula's world and his Castle, it does not tie him to the title.

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags: