Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Looking for games like Slain and Blasphemous.  (Read 6024 times)

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Looking for games like Slain and Blasphemous.
« on: June 14, 2019, 07:31:08 AM »
Title says it all.  Been following Blasphemous for a while now, and recently picked up and destroyed Slain: Back from Hell.  Anyone know of any other, at least somewhat readily available, games that are similar?  Looking for slightly more brutal Castlevania-like games, old school or metroidvania style.  Any platformer really with a high fantasy, or dark fantasy feel would be good, including older arcade or similar games, again so long as they are at least somewhat readily available.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Looking for games like Slain and Blasphemous.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 09:51:53 AM »
I tried Slain: Back from Hell, but those damned controls...  >:(
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 01:03:09 PM »
I tried Slain: Back from Hell, but those damned controls...  >:(

I thought they were fine.  Tightening them would make it easier, but I beat the game, and I never felt the difficulty was cheap, just brutal.

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 01:48:07 PM »
Bloodstained aside.

One that I like a lot is Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight. It's a solid metroidvania.

And Maybe...Valdis Story. Though Valdis Story isn't as good imo, but I'm sure others will like it a lot more than I did. Still, it also has time gates that can change the game's ending as I understand it.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 05:29:22 PM »
Odallus: The Dark Call

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 06:11:49 PM »
I thought they were fine.  Tightening them would make it easier, but I beat the game, and I never felt the difficulty was cheap, just brutal.

Oh that wasn't the problem. It was the fact that the player is forced to use the analogue stick rather then the D-pad. There is no button config in the game.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 02:35:01 AM »
If you want something gory, Salt and Sanctuary might be a good platformer for you, though it takes more from Dark Souls/Bloodborne in terms of aesthetics, and...Newgrounds flash games in terms of animation.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 08:15:02 AM »
Some of these look pretty cool.  I should have mentioned that I can't stand chibi art style, so anything without is out.  Another game coming out called Minoria looks pretty cool.  And of course there is Valfaris, which is from the people who made Slain.  Also about to check out Volgarr the Viking.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 06:11:07 PM »
Man, how did no one bring up Death's Gambit?  Stumbled on this one by pure luck.  You guys should check it out if you haven't already.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 07:16:22 PM »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 09:39:52 PM »
Seconded.
Got my eye on that one as well.  A little worried it might be too old school for me.  But certainly in the right vein.  I prefer the higher 16-32bit style over lower 8-16bit.  It kind of rides the line.  Is there a release date yet?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:45:39 PM by AlexCalvo »

Tags: