Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MOVIES  (Read 119122 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »
I've only seen the first and third Howlings and didn't know they'd gotten all the way up to 7. :S

First one's super good, and the third one's pretty bad but it offers some entertainment value. The glimpse I actually caught on TV and thought, "Wow, I gotta see this someday!" turned out actually being a movie-within-a-movie. And it's still the best part, and I'm still pissed the whole thing doesn't look and play out like that.

This was the scene I saw (shortened, of course):

The Howling 3 - The Marsupials In 5 Seconds

And damn had I been wanting to see that for years afterward till I finally bought the DVD. Was disappointed when I eventually did get it... Expected the whole thing to be this way, so cornballed.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 02:01:06 PM »
Anyone here watched the movie "And then were none/The ten little niggers" based in Agatha Christie book? I watched it in youtube some months ago and loved it, its the black and white version, since its in public domain anyone can watch this easilly. I watched this because I love Higurashi and Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Umineko is a little based in this setting. If you likes some mystery, its a movie for you. :)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 02:07:23 PM »
I've only seen the first and third Howlings and didn't know they'd gotten all the way up to 7. :S

First one's super good, and the third one's pretty bad but it offers some entertainment value. The glimpse I actually caught on TV and thought, "Wow, I gotta see this someday!" turned out actually being a movie-within-a-movie. And it's still the best part, and I'm still pissed the whole thing doesn't look and play out like that.

This was the scene I saw (shortened, of course):

And damn had I been wanting to see that for years afterward till I finally bought the DVD. Was disappointed when I eventually did get it... Expected the whole thing to be this way, so cornballed.

I've yet to see "TH VI: Freaks" or "TH VIII: Rebirth" (which is a relaunch from last year) and it's been years since I've seen III. But the second one is a trip worth taking if you're looking for a so bad it's good Werewolf flick.
Howling 2 (trailer)
Alternate titles for the film were "The Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf" and "The Howling II: Stirba – Werewolf Bitch"
The movie features Christopher Lee as the fearless Werewolf hunter Stefan Crosscoe, Reb Brown as the hitherto unmentioned brother of the main character from the first film, exploding zombie midget eyeballs and lots of Sybil Danning doing what she does best. Oh also that same song from the trailer 4 or 5 times.

Anyone here watched the movie "And then were none/The ten little niggers" based in Agatha Christie book? I watched it in youtube some months ago and loved it, its the black and white version, since its in public domain anyone can watch this easilly. I watched this because I love Higurashi and Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Umineko is a little based in this setting. If you likes some mystery, its a movie for you. :)

Can't say as I have, though I have watched a good amount of old and public domain movies. Never could get into Agatha Christies work, her writing style just hasn't gelled with me every time I've tried it. Some of the Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone are in the public domain as is the delightful television show from the 1950s, you should check both of those out if you haven't already. Also some of the Charlie Chan movies and the complete "Mr. Wong: Detective" series starring Boris Karloff are in the public domain so you might want to check those out. I've not seen the Chan/Wong movies but I hear good things. If you're not already on it a great place to find public domain movies, books and radio shows is www.archive.org huge selection, no commercials. And often a variety of uploads to choose from so you can find the ones with the best quality or rip them to dvd.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:29:12 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 02:27:18 PM »
Can't say as I have, though I have watched a good amount of old and public domain movies. Never could get into Agatha Christies work, her writing style just doesn't gel with me every time I've tried it. Some of the Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone are in the public domain as is the delightful television show from the 1950s, you should check both of those out if you haven't already. Also some of the Charlie Chan movies and the complete "Mr. Wong: Detective" series starring Boris Karloff are in the public domain so you might want to check those out. I've not seen the Chan/Wong movies but I hear good things. If you're not already on it a great place to find public domain movies, books and radio shows is www.archive.org huge selection, no commercials. And often a variety of uploads to choose from so you can find the ones with the best quality or rip them to dvd.
Thanks, I should check it tomorrow or even today, I love these movies that you can discover things based on clues, I started to like them because of the Umineko's Sound Novels, its almost as if you are there too, very well descriptive and all. Since I learned all english that I know from myself, these games help me to learn new words and all these type of random things, movies too xD

edit: I know this site, I only never given attention to the another things! I discovered "wayback machine" years ago, thanks for telling me about this another things, otherwise I maybe never will notice them.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:38:21 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 03:13:37 PM »
+1
Thanks, I should check it tomorrow or even today, I love these movies that you can discover things based on clues, I started to like them because of the Umineko's Sound Novels, its almost as if you are there too, very well descriptive and all. Since I learned all english that I know from myself, these games help me to learn new words and all these type of random things, movies too xD

edit: I know this site, I only never given attention to the another things! I discovered "wayback machine" years ago, thanks for telling me about this another things, otherwise I maybe never will notice them.

Ahh I didn't realize you were a non-native English speaker, congratulations on being bilingual :).
Here's some sample episodes of the Sherlock Holmes offerings Sherlock Holmes - The Case of Harry Crocker : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
Sherlock Holmes - Dressed to Kill - Public Domain : webranger1962 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive also all of the original Sherlock Holmes stories are in the public domain so you can read them free on archive.org or Project Gutenberg. Here's a good one to start with. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1661 also I don't know if it's available in your region but one of my very favorite Sherlock Holmes interpretations, the adorable Sherlock Hound (which was partly developed by Hayao Miyazaki) has been officially uploaded to youtube by TMSanime and I would recommend it to anyone. http://www.youtube.com/channel/SWK162qI1LPF8

One thing I should mention about the Charlie Chan/Mr. Wong movies if you don't already know, they are somewhat racist stereotypes of "Oriental Detectives" played by white men. They were both relatively positive portrayals of Asians for their time, when the evil "Fu Manchu" stereotype was popular, but many Asian people understandably find them very offensive today. Also you probably already know this but just in case you're not aware the word "niggers" is usually considered highly offensive in English, so be careful to never say it. Though it's understandable you would use it in referencing the name of that movie, it is the name after all. At the time Agatha Christie wrote that book/the movie was made "the N word" (as it's often called) was a very common, but not at all friendly, word for black people/those of African descent. Today a good many black people use the word or a slight variant on it ("Nigga" with an "a" instead of "er") as a term of endearment or an insult, but it is taboo for non-blacks to use the word.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:34:14 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 05:12:35 PM »
Ahh I didn't realize you were a non-native English speaker, congratulations on being bilingual :).
Here's some sample episodes of the Sherlock Holmes offerings Sherlock Holmes - The Case of Harry Crocker : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
Sherlock Holmes - Dressed to Kill - Public Domain : webranger1962 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive also all of the original Sherlock Holmes stories are in the public domain so you can read them free on archive.org or Project Gutenberg. Here's a good one to start with. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1661 also I don't know if it's available in your region but one of my very favorite Sherlock Holmes interpretations, the adorable Sherlock Hound (which was partly developed by Hayao Miyazaki) has been officially uploaded to youtube by TMSanime and I would recommend it to anyone. http://www.youtube.com/channel/SWK162qI1LPF8

One thing I should mention about the Charlie Chan/Mr. Wong movies if you don't already know, they are somewhat racist stereotypes of "Oriental Detectives" played by white men. They were both relatively positive portrayals of Asians for their time, when the evil "Fu Manchu" stereotype was popular, but many Asian people understandably find them very offensive today. Also you probably already know this but just in case you're not aware the word "niggers" is usually considered highly offensive in English, so be careful to never say it. Though it's understandable you would use it in referencing the name of that movie, it is the name after all. At the time Agatha Christie wrote that book/the movie was made "the N word" (as it's often called) was a very common, but not at all friendly, word for black people/those of African descent. Today a good many black people use the word or a slight variant on it ("Nigga" with an "a" instead of "er") as a term of endearment or an insult, but it is taboo for non-blacks to use the word.
Thanks for the compliment, links and advices. :)
 I knew thats not a formal word and that it can be offensive, but I dont thought its SO offensive like what you explained. I know that I've seen people saying "Nigga" in some places but not as offensive though. Here in brazil its the opposite, if we call a person black (preto) its offensive, but if we call them negro or negão (nigger, nigga) its the correct thing. If you say that someone is black in here you can be even arrested.
 I said this only because well, thats the original title, after they changed the little wooden statues to indians, sometimes even little soldiers.

If someone felt offended by my post I only can say sorry, if its needed I can even edit it. Anyway, thanks, I will check these Sherlock episodes, I think that I can like them if they didnt make him with an anormal level of intelligence and deduction lol
 I dont know if they launched Sherlock Hound here, what is it about? Sher"dog" Holmes? xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »
Thanks for the compliment, links and advices. :)
 I knew thats not a formal word and that it can be offensive, but I dont thought its SO offensive like what you explained. I know that I've seen people saying "Nigga" in some places but not as offensive though. Here in brazil its the opposite, if we call a person black (preto) its offensive, but if we call them negro or negão (nigger, nigga) its the correct thing. If you say that someone is black in here you can be even arrested.
 I said this only because well, thats the original title, after they changed the little wooden statues to indians, sometimes even little soldiers.

If someone felt offended by my post I only can say sorry, if its needed I can even edit it. Anyway, thanks, I will check these Sherlock episodes, I think that I can like them if they didnt make him with an anormal level of intelligence and deduction lol
 I dont know if they launched Sherlock Hound here, what is it about? Sher"dog" Holmes? xD

Oh don't worry I don't think anyone was offended, everyone knew you were using it to describe the title. Just some advice for the future since people can be really touchy about that. I've never heard of anyone getting arrested for using the n-word but people have been fired over it. The United States has a very strained and strange relation to race, many if not most white people in the US feel uncomfortable talking about it or even acknowledging that they notice differences in skin color. I've heard some different stories about the origin of the n-word but I think it probably originated with the latin "niger" (black) which then became "negro" in English.

Also yeah Sherlock Hound is Sherlock Holmes and Watson and everyone else as adorable anime dogs, the landlady Mrs. Hudson got to kick butt in that series to. Sherlock Holmes is supposed to be the greatest detective who ever lived though so he is pretty intelligent x3. You might like the Saint radio show with Vincent Price if you want a more laid back kind of detective.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:32:09 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 06:46:56 PM »
This channel with Sherlock Hound is indisponible in my country, it seems that I used all my "luck tank" yesterday trying to beat Bloodlines in Expert lol
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 06:22:37 PM »
This channel with Sherlock Hound is indisponible in my country, it seems that I used all my "luck tank" yesterday trying to beat Bloodlines in Expert lol
Ah too bad, welp, can't win them all.

So In the last day or so during a fit of insomnia I watched "She Gods of Shark Reef", whose poster struck me many years ago as most likely complete bull. Surprisingly the poster does actually show a scene from the movie, well sort of, they changed a brunette to a blonde for it and turned a statue into a mountain. But from the beginning where someone we don't know sneaks up and kills some other guys we don't know, to the end where a real shark kill which we saw in the opening credits is recycled as the films climax, the movie is vintage Roger Corman. Which is to say it's lots and lots of halfnaked men and women in bikinis walking and talking, because talk is cheap and this picture is on a budget dammit! It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, & aside from the two shark killings it was actually kind of enjoyably absurd as crap cinema. This one earned it's 2.3 stars on IMDB.

Still couldn't sleep so I watched the other movie on DVD 22 side B of my 100 public domain horror movie pack- "Rattlers". Ugh, the less said about that movie the better. It's like "Wow horrible animal abuse and a "hero" who rants against the women's liberation movement? This movie has it all!"/sarcasm.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:34:11 PM by Ratty »

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 09:40:01 AM »
Finally watched "Despicable Me" and "Inception" this weekend. Both good movies.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 10:08:03 AM »
Threw on Two Thousand Maniacs! a couple nights ago. Pretty fun, the most entertaining part being the semi-frequent closeups of the two main hillbillies, heh. They acted out their roles in a really comedic manner. Usual H.G. Lewis gore effects. "And the south's going to rise again, YEEEEEEEEEHAW!"

Though funny as it may be to say, I wish Lewis had done more non-comedies. I assume Blood Feast was a more serious attempt at horror, and while it's not very good, there actually are a few moments of dread and atmosphere.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 08:42:43 PM »
The 2009 "The Wolfman" is a ton better than I remember it being in the theater, the last time I watched it until yesterday. I think the extra 15 minutes in the extended cut might have made all the difference. Of course it still doesn't measure up to the original but no one expected it to.

Really looking forward to getting the complete series of "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" in the mail.

Threw on Two Thousand Maniacs! a couple nights ago. Pretty fun, the most entertaining part being the semi-frequent closeups of the two main hillbillies, heh. They acted out their roles in a really comedic manner. Usual H.G. Lewis gore effects. "And the south's going to rise again, YEEEEEEEEEHAW!"

Though funny as it may be to say, I wish Lewis had done more non-comedies. I assume Blood Feast was a more serious attempt at horror, and while it's not very good, there actually are a few moments of dread and atmosphere.

I've never actually seen one of H.G. Lewis's films but I remember Joe Bob Briggs spoke very highly of his work. Not much of a gore hound myself. I don't go out of my way to see or not see it but like anything else it can get obnoxious when poorly or overly utilized.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:53:48 PM by Ratty »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 08:46:31 PM »
Diary of a wimpy kid the cheese looked gross  :-X
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 02:43:58 AM »
Alternate titles for the film were "The Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf" and "The Howling II: Stirba – Werewolf Bitch"
The movie features Christopher Lee as the fearless Werewolf hunter Stefan Crosscoe, Reb Brown as the hitherto unmentioned brother of the main character from the first film, exploding zombie midget eyeballs and lots of Sybil Danning doing what she does best. Oh also that same song from the trailer 4 or 5 times.

Spoony did a review on that one. Let me find it.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/10/28/howling-2-stirba-werewolf-bitch/
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 06:41:17 AM »
Spoony did a review on that one. Let me find it.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/10/28/howling-2-stirba-werewolf-bitch/

I saw that, was surprisingly underwhelmed by it though. I'd been waiting for him to do it for a long time, then when he did he spent too much time on boring parts only to skimp over one of the funniest scenes in the movie. I think you'd be better off watching the original instead of seeing Spoony's summary in this case. When it comes to werewolves I still much prefer his Terror TRAX let's plays. Terror T.R.A.X. - Track of the Vampire (Part 1 of 3)
But then I always had a soft spot for "choose your own adventure" style gamebooks back in the day, so maybe I'm just an easy mark for the (somewhat affectionate?) spoof.

If you enjoy or are curious about Terror TRAX by the way the first two audio games (which are the only ones I'm entirely sure were actually produced) were released for free on the wizards of the coast site here https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20011026b http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20011026a they're in realplayer format though (yeah that's how old they are) so you'll want to have VLC media player to play them, but having VLC media player is a good idea anyway because it's awesome. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

I've not watched any movies since my last post here, most of my free time being absorbed by the pulp collection "Weird Vampire Tales" where, strangely for an anthology, I haven't come upon a bad story yet.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:37:58 PM by Ratty »

Tags: