Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Nocturne release date announced  (Read 10454 times)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2023, 06:38:32 AM »
Got another trailer.  The show is almost here, woot.  Nice to hear a recognizable tune too.

https://www.theverge.com/23863001/netflix-castlevania-nocturne-trailer-early-digital-release-twitch

Sigh, Maria calling Richter an ungrateful wanker.  I won't let that get me down though and just enjoy the new world they've created.  I guess peppy Maria just doesn't fit here.

Aww yeah, Richter tossing a dozen daggers into a vampire.  Maybe not as vigorous as a 1,000 Blades, but I still feel that. 

Oh, and there's also a new poster out of Richter and Maria.  You'd almost forget the other three "damsels" are now warriors in their own right (wonder what it'd be like to play a game as one of them).  Having the core four from Dracula's Curse was simply too much for the first series, but now they don't have a problem with five (unless I miscounted).  Hope they're well developed at any rate.

https://collider.com/castlevania-nocturne-poster/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 09:51:02 AM by Reinhart77 »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2023, 10:08:04 AM »
Sigh, Maria calling Richter an ungrateful wanker.

This sounds like the first of many more 'not-welcomed' issues to come (not counting the contents of the trailer we saw). And I have no doubt that they'll have one of the female characters kill Dracula simply because 'reasons', and Richter will be tossed aside simply because 'reasons'. I'm calling it now.

Bets anyone?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2023, 12:18:13 PM »
I'm sure at the very least Richter will be the glue who holds everyone else together.

Ah, another video with some video commentary from the directors and other production members.  I like how they flesh out Drolta in this show.  I could almost imagine this series being the background for the events of Bloodlines.  Guess the female guise of Death in the previous series isn't Drolta after all, unless this Drolta is also Death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJmEpM-mCaI

All and all, I'd like to thank these creators and the creators of all Castlevania media for bringing us these works of art rather than nitpick the disappointments (which still do sting a bit) and am happy to see their visions come to life.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 12:46:50 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2023, 12:17:05 PM »
This sounds like the first of many more 'not-welcomed' issues to come (not counting the contents of the trailer we saw). And I have no doubt that they'll have one of the female characters kill Dracula simply because 'reasons', and Richter will be tossed aside simply because 'reasons'. I'm calling it now.

Bets anyone?

Tbh, I don’t think they are even doing an adaption of the Rondo as a story, like at all.  Just using the characters (and music) from the game. Elizabeth Bartley seems to be the main villain of the season instead of Dracula in any case, so he may not even show up at all for anyone to be able to defeat.

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2023, 07:29:36 PM »
I think they want to do a prequel to Rondo of Blood.  Well, an alternate universe version of that game anyways.  So I can still imagine him fighting Dracula in another season.  But it is quite possible he never shows up again in this universe, or if he does, he's some kind of anti-hero.  Gotta wonder if Simon or Christopher ever fought him in this timeline or even existed though. I'll keep my eyes open about any possible references to them ha.  We did get a painting of Leon Belmont after all.  Maybe we'll get to the point that we're convinced he's out of the picture, and then SURPRISE, there he is.

Offline konamiesque

• Scholar of the Occult
  • I'm special interested in this
    • Castle's Keep
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2023, 04:56:04 AM »
+1
Castlevania: Nocturne has become an adaptational Ship of Theseus at this point. So much of the story has been changed, moved around, or cut out altogether that it's debatable if the show can even be called "Castlevania" anymore at this point.

And I'm sorry, but the idea that this is going to be a Rondo of Blood prequel is just pure fucking copium. They've already introduced characters and concepts from completely different points in the Castlevania timeline for Nocturne (Elizabeth Bathory, the eclipse), they clearly don't give a shit about the games' continuity and are only doing whatever they think is cool/interesting.

If you're okay with Netflixvania being its own separate thing from the games and enjoy it nonetheless, then fine, good for you. But personally, I'm sick of someone's original story in a Belmont skinsuit taking up so much of the conversation around Castlevania.
Castlevania archive (desktop only)

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2023, 05:49:35 PM »
+1
I do have to wonder what the animated series post season 1 would have been like if Iga was still at the helm.

Offline ForgemasterWolf

• Ice cream aficionado
  • I got nothing to put in here, so yeah...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2/XBOX)
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2023, 08:24:50 AM »
+1
I do have to wonder what the animated series post season 1 would have been like if Iga was still at the helm.

If IGA was still at the helm of the series, it would have never seen the light of day. After 8 rewrites until the first movie/season 1 got "passable" and then the project was dead in the water until Kevin Kolde and Adi Shankar revived the project after IGA left Konami. While IGA never said a thing publicly so far (to my knowledge), we do have something from his best buddy Curry the Kid. He just gave non-answers on his AMA thread when asked if the show captured the feel of the games. Even then, very rarely do creators just go out and criticize or openly say they didn't like adaptations of their works. The only one that comes to mind is Alan Moore.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2023, 10:19:57 AM »
Even silence is as much an answer as anything else. If IGA said nothing then I think he might be feeling disappointed with the Netflix adaptions as well.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2023, 05:45:32 PM »

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2023, 05:01:59 PM »

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2023, 06:17:50 PM »
+1
That is a cool ad :D :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2023, 02:34:29 PM »
I've always been pretty forgiving about artistic liberty, as long as i enjoy the ultimate work.

I can't say I'm feeling any which way about this tbh. If this is setting up rondo, im not sure why they felt it was needed, other than to drag out Richter's arc. Which means most of the season will be original, which is ok, but yknow, why bother then. Might as well take some of the side Belmonts who dont have a lot going on and use them for original stories. if its just a massively deviated Rondo, then Im not sure I get that either.

I get the feeling that they simply don't want to keep using Dracula unlike the games, because it cheapens him as a character. it's something you can get away with in an NES/SNES game series with little story, based on old B movies which themselves had really loose continuity, with belmonts all being pretty interchangeable, but when you have a proper narrative structure, it becomes kind of an issue to bring him back after you've already written him in a specific way and kind of ended his arc. Which is their own fault if they wrote themselves into that corner. I wonder if they will find a way to shoehorn Dracula into what so far, seems like a plot devoid of him.

my guess is they'll instead find a way to convolute him back in a Symphony adaptation. hell, with how they changed death, and with Death showing up in Symphony in the way he does, I wouldn't be surprised if they give him a greater role in that. Some plot between Shaft and Death.

Either way, we'll see how this goes.

also it has to be said

It's not like they're race-swapping for no reason whatsoever, given the time period they arguably have better reasons for the ethnicity changes than they did in the original.
They raceswap because it's Netflix. A California based production company, with all that implies and carries with it. If there is not at least one (or more) raceswapped significant character(s) or subversive element (such as religion bashing) it just wont get made at all.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 02:36:02 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2023, 03:17:53 PM »
Legends say they’ll break the 4th wall by resurrecting Richard Pryor to play Dracula… 🦇 🕯️ ⚰️ 🕯️ 🦇 #DracWash
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2023, 07:57:22 PM »
First seven minutes are up on youtube for those who don't want to wait a day or don't have Netflix.  Sweet stuff imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iWOsjEmxzs

Tags: