Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Nocturne release date announced  (Read 10445 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2023, 01:01:35 PM »
I was so impressed by the animation in season one, it was near anime quality for a western show. It's really gross how much CGI painted like handdrawn art is used in this show now. Season four was absolutely the worst offender (so far; I'm only on episode three of Nocturne now), but it's bizarre that they keep relying on this "technique." It looks bad, and in the case of this scene, it's not even a very complicated shot like an action scene where it's somewhat (maybe) justified. I think the animators used it for emphasis, but it looks rotten.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jeepy

• Devil Summoner
  • Hunter in Training
  • 死んでいいよ、いやいやまじで
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2023, 05:41:59 PM »
+1
Yep, I'm done with this show made by antifans and liars, which misunderstands and misrepresents the source material and its themes and characters. I knew I probably wouldn't like it, but after giving it a watch, Nocturne proved that Ellis was just a part of the problem.

I'm starting to miss pachislots. At least those looked like Castlevania and provided some good new music.
MEGIDOLAON!

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2023, 01:13:05 AM »
Halfway through (I watch every episode twice, once per day).  Been happy with most the decisions they made, after taking a little time to "get used to" some of the changes.  Seems to me they took the idea of four women locked up in Dracula's Castle and just remixed that theme heavily within the parameters set for the show, so it still works as a semi-adaptation of Rondo of Blood for me.  Loved seeing Olrox "float around" like Joachim Armster.  Wonder if he'll take on any more of his attributes later in the show. I am still disappointed they haven't shown a truly pious person in a positive light so far though. I do find myself somewhat sympathetic for their point of view though and at least they don't seem like complete monsters.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 01:28:48 AM by Reinhart77 »

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2023, 03:29:40 PM »
I am still disappointed they haven't shown a truly pious person in a positive light so far though. I do find myself somewhat sympathetic for their point of view though and at least they don't seem like complete monsters.

If Mizrak dies, I'm going to be irked. It actually like him.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2023, 04:05:34 PM »
+1
Darn, more lies. 

Ah well.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2023, 06:30:52 PM »
The show isn’t that bad. They’ve taken a lot of creative liberties but that was expected. It’s not 100% faithful to the source material but it’s close enough & more importantly recognizable, as opposed to Lords of Shadow which only vaguely resembled Castlevania. Any other studio in charge would’ve took their own creative liberties as well so I don’t know why any of you are surprised. I recall back when IGA was still in charge there were fans that disliked the direction he was taking with the games so this is par for the course. It’s more like “Rondo of Blood Remix Edition” and I’m okay with that. They had to add more lore to make it fleshed out. I like how they depict the Belmont clan as vampire hunters, since in the games we barely kill any vampires, just hordes of demons*. Of course there’s decisions that I would’ve done differently but you can say that about literally anything. Seeing an elderly Juste was a pleasant surprise. One thing’s for sure, though, a live action adaptation would’ve been far worse.

*on the topic of the demons, some of them have some truly wicked designs, very creepy. Wish they put up more of a fight though. Also, which I’m sure will happen in season 2, we see more recognizable demons from the games.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 07:11:47 PM by crisis »

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2023, 08:40:52 AM »
+1
Annette feels like a self insert fanfic Mary Sue. I have no issue with adding to the character, or changing their race in this case, or a lot of changes... but they literally just made her perfect, clearly the most powerful AND skilled character in the show, with the most backstory, the most kills, and most knowledge about everything going on. We literally have this random character who shows up explaining to Richter Belmont what night creatures are... That's a no from me. And what was with Olrox just blatantly standing out in the sun when he met Mizark? I thought vampires couldn't do that. There was some stuff to like, as its own original thing it's not terrible, just suffers what a lot of modern stories suffer, a "perfect" essentially OC character showing everyone else up. Also the eventual forced chemistry between her and Richter comes out of nowhere and is not at all believable.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2023, 11:16:35 AM »
+1
You make some valid points. I guess Orlox not burning up in sunlight was overlooked by the writers, or maybe he’s so powerful that a spell prevents him from being affected? Who knows.

I don’t know what’s going to happen when they adapt Symphony of the Night. Shaft will probably appear, but will Richter be possessed? Who knows how they’re going to change up that narrative.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2023, 12:52:02 PM »
I think a good deal of the emphasis on Annette is because unlike Maria and Richter, she's being seen as a major character in the story, so I can understand some emphasis on someone who, besides her name, is a completely original character. I don't mind the backstory and the mysticism behind her powers being an episode. The issue is they only had 8 episodes, and the first half is just building the cast. I think we can all agree this show is trying to do a lot with a small amount of time.

By trying to have five main protagonists of importance (Richter, Maria, Tera, Annette, and Edouard) and eight episodes, it's going to flow poorly. Add Orlox, Emmanuel, and Erzebeth and you can see this is just stacked with characters in a runtime that can't cover it. This is a show that clearly needed twelve episodes. Not even the main antagonist has been covered well by explaining her power and motivations. I feel this is similar to season 3 of the previous show, but that had the reverse problem: nothing of note happens until the final few episodes because it's a filler season trying to explain and build up Carmilla and Isaac who are not the main protagonists. Nothing of note can actually happen until the final few episodes here because they have to explain who everybody is. The coolest moments were when Juste and Alucard appeared, and those were straight to the point. I already know for sure they didn't have time to build Juste up because there's just no time to fill it in, which is why they're already talking about more of him being in season 2.

You could tell they were pressed for time when so many episodes had characters meeting up with an amazing coincidence. Annette trailing Drolta and she just happens to find her vampire slave owner in the same random ass graveyard? It comes off as Saturday morning cartoon conflict resolution.

Tags: