Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Anybody else wish Hirooka Masaki would come back?  (Read 10736 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Anybody else wish Hirooka Masaki would come back?
« on: August 30, 2013, 01:56:09 PM »
+2

I don't think any artist has perfectly captured a balance between Ayami Kojima's art and the older stuff. His art was pretty much universally loved in OoE, and the art alone was one of the high points for that game. Also dem boots on Shanoa...

I wish if/when they do another handheld, they bring Masaki back.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Anybody else wish Hirooka Masaki would come back?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »
But... but then... we would not have same face characters anymore... :(

Seriously now, I would be okay with that, I like the crazy faces that he can draw, its almost if not at the same level of Ayame Kojima's Graham's crazy face.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »
+3
Certainly.
OoE's art was a monumental relief after DoS and PoR. Masaki gives the classic artwork a slight shift in style but remains laudably close to the Castlevania esthetic. And it even remains continuous with Kojima's artwork. Not many artists could pull that off: even today's LoS artwork seems ever so slightly askew.
I'd rather see Kojima return, but otherwise... I'd have Masaki back any day.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
I love Portrait of Ruin, but I recognize some artworks looked a little amateur.
But yes, Order of Ecclesia featured some high level artworks.
It's a mix of ClassicVania, Kojima and pure anime, but with a unique personality.
I'd love this to be back.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 05:50:55 PM »
+1
Definitely my first choice should CV go back to Japanese developers. We need more of Masaki to erase the shame that was Obata.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 06:23:33 PM »
We need more of Masaki to erase the shame that was Obata.
The damage cannot be undone, but yes, I agree that we need more of him.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 06:29:40 PM »
While Masaki's art is certainly one of the best of the whole series, he doesn't hold a candle to current artists. However, he might be perfect for the next phase of the series.

Everything comes full circle

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 07:22:15 PM »
+1
His Dracula was very much my favorite of the main-timeline, and if the series goes back to Japan, then they definitely need to bring him back.

I really like Kojima's aesthetic sense, but her character design isn't my favorite. Hirooka definitely wins that hands down.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
I think Masaki and the LoS guys can make a beautiful Castlevania title if He did the Characters and they did Environment

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »
Too much muscle. Too much clothing. New artists need to go. So does Kojima.

I wouldn't mind Hirooka coming back at all. His characters were perhaps the most realistic in any Castlevania to date. You had the scrawny, the corpulent, the the fit, the sickly -- he had them all, the whole human picture. His works weren't tainted with homosexual undertones or estrogen-laced metrophilia (I made that word up).

Not to mention all his contributions to Duel Masters. Yeah, I'd be okay with him back.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:36:25 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 07:43:26 PM »
I am another one who wants Castlevania back to Japan, but what if this time they give the project to a japanese team composed of all new members?
That could bring a fresh, yet classic perspective to the series.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:10:28 PM »
Do you realize how difficult it is to market a fresh, new team? Just look at Mercury Steam. Think about how hard they had to push LoS. The Japanese would devour any marketing proclaiming a return of such and such former team members.  It's like Square-Enix could release a game and simply say the soundtrack was by Mitsuda and Uematsu with character design by Yoshitaka. It wouldn't have to even have the Final Fantasy name, it could be something not even FF-related, but just by the name drops alone they'd sell millions of copies in the first month, guaranteed.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 08:21:56 PM »

Hey! This one is from a character from the anime Date A Live isnt it? The outfit, hair, weapon and colors are right at least.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 10:31:48 PM »
Hell YES. I used to look at the art on his website all the time, too bad I lost the URL awhile ago.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 12:31:48 AM »
Do you realize how difficult it is to market a fresh, new team? Just look at Mercury Steam. Think about how hard they had to push LoS. The Japanese would devour any marketing proclaiming a return of such and such former team members.  It's like Square-Enix could release a game and simply say the soundtrack was by Mitsuda and Uematsu with character design by Yoshitaka. It wouldn't have to even have the Final Fantasy name, it could be something not even FF-related, but just by the name drops alone they'd sell millions of copies in the first month, guaranteed.
I guess that was because MS decided to stay very far from CV. Had their game be more Castlevania, they wouldn't have had so much trouble selling themselves. That, and the complete lack of public relation skills, together with Cox's arrogant attitude.
But you are right, bring back Michiru Yamane, Koji Igarashi and Ayami Kojima and everyone will buy the new game without even caring what it is (myself included).
I hope from the bottom of my heart that Konami's marketing strategy is exactly like that.

Tags:

anything