Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Akumajo Densetsu fan interview.  (Read 10386 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 04:35:53 PM »
Dracula's final form in Vampire Killer was a giant painting, in CotM a xenomorph that scooted like it was Fast and Furious, in HoD a giant tentacled skull, and in Haunted Castle a giant head. He's had quite a few demonic forms, so it's taken for granted the final boss in CV3 is his demonic form and not a separate demon.

He's also decapitated in CV1/Chronicles and his remains morph into his true form. It's just to show how powerful he is, and to give the player the false hope that the battle has ended when it's only just begun.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 04:38:51 PM by beingthehero »

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 04:39:40 PM »
Those aren't demonic. Those are alternate forms. The guy is a sorcerer and even after becoming a demon he'd remain a sorcerer. From the time of Simon, his demonic form has been the same and any other demons would not be Dracula himself but demons he ahs summoned or demons that have broken through into his realm.

CV1 is Demonic Dracula. Says so in CV3 and CVA. CV1 Dracula is supposed to morph into a demon. In CV3, he morphed into floating heads apparently, but never morphed into the third boss -- the third boss appeared from the background. Thus it's clear Dracula and the third boss are not one in the same.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 04:45:03 PM »
A giant floating tentacled skull seems pretty demonic to me. I'm not sure what you mean when you try to differentiate between demonic forms and alternate forms. They're all his final forms, whether he's a giant blue bat a la CV1, a giant bela lugosi head like in Haunted Castle, or a red crotch monster like in Bloodlines. I mean in SotN his true form alternated between the Rondo of Blood green demon and a giant throne with xenomorphs on either side. Even Graham had a demonic form consisting of twin pierced angels, and he wasn't even a sorcerer but a priest with a shiv.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 04:47:10 PM »
Maybe he "prossessed" that Pazuzu statue? We've seen he possessing a portrait already. Also in ReBirth he transforms into a strange demonic statue's head.

In HoD its normal that he became that mess, since they are a personification of Dracula's parts (dont ask me where is the ring).
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »
Also you can tell it's Pazuzu because the thing's crotch disappears into the shadows. They censored it themselves. (He has a big dong.)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »
In HoD its normal that he became that mess, since they are a personification of Dracula's parts (dont ask me where is the ring).

I think it's supposed to be the eyeball claw for some reason, gao~

Anyways, as was pointed out earlier the giant flame demon that was part of the terrible trio of the mummy and cyclops is pazuzu. It's kind of silly to say 'no that's IGA's pazuzu'. It's no more his pazuzu than arguing that the cyclops is IGA's cyclops because the cyclops in mythology were large otherwise normal looking men with a single eye instead of purple monsters. Also IGA wasn't credited with the enemy design/programming in HoD. Takeda Takeshi, Jun-ichi Inoue, and Shuichi Hirohara were responsible for that, and were behind that particular demon being dubbed Pazuzu in that game, not IGA. The man is not Pixel.

Dracula has two horns in demon form. The Pazuzu you cited was IGA's Pazuzu.

Three horns in Chronicles:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/CVPics/dracx682.gif

Four in legacy:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/CVPics10/lod-uldrac.gif

Not that that means anything. Saying that his CVIII final form was really Pazuzu and not Dracula is like saying that in PoR you're fighting Satan, not Dracula, because that form matches Satan's traditional depiction. Anything else is just fan fiction.

EDIT: Arise, Kurt of the past:

He's clearly beaked, too, and not lion-faced.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:22:02 PM by beingthehero »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
I've always thought it was clear that Trevor's name was Trevor Christopher Belmont and that Christopher was name in honor to him. However the theory that both games told the same story is amazing, as it makes perfect sense, Christopher is name din the CV 1 manual and so III acts as the perfect prequel in a self contained trilogy.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 12:44:37 AM »
+1
I wouldn't, really, because 2chan is hardly different from 4chan. I remember when a 4channer claiming to be a Konami insider close to IGA said the next game was going to be 1999 and a bunch of other stuff. Instead, it was OoE. So I wouldn't trust any anonymous source, no matter how much they jive their info with already common knowledge. Not that there's anything truly, really earth-shattering here other than possibly knowing Trevor's middle name.

4chan is also where details about MoF got leaked, and the same person also correct about them not choosing Julius as the new Belmont in LoS2. So, you can use that argument to support both sides. However, I understand your point. I wouldn't use this as a wiki source or anything.

Again, nothing in what the programmer/artist said suggests Ralph and Christopher were the same person.

"Ralph C. Belmondo's 'C' was Christopher?"
"Yes, although I don't know whether it was written in the official data."

Nobody said Ralph and Christopher were the same person, they said Ralph's middle initial stood for Christopher. 

When you think about it logically, I can't see how they could have been anything besides being the same person. Remember, CV3 and CVA were developed alongside each other with no communication between the Famicom team and Gameboy team. Akamatsu's team was not aware of what the Gameboy team was doing besides probably that it was being developed for that system.

Why would they name their protagonist Ralph Christopher Belmont, then? It can't be continuity nod since they didn't know another Christopher Belmont existed, and assuming what the interviewee said is true, they didn't give a damn about continuity back then. Also, why would they choose to let the game take place 200 years before CV1 when they set up a prequel that takes place 100 years before? That doesn't make sense. 

I know the manual says "more than a 100 years", but the opening intro just plain says 100. The intention seems pretty clear to me.

Castlevania 3 Translated Original Opening   

I also recall a GameCenter CX interview where IGA acknowledges that the storyline of CV3 and CVA had conflicting elements, and that "everybody did whatever they wanted" back then.   

GameCenter CX S02E07 - Prince of Persia Part 1 [TV-Nihon]

Around the 35:00 mark.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:56:41 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 11:06:20 AM »
4chan is also where details about MoF got leaked, and the same person also correct about them not choosing Julius as the new Belmont in LoS2. So, you can use that argument to support both sides. However, I understand your point. I wouldn't use this as a wiki source or anything.

This doesnt shows anything, for real. Everyone that really knows 4chan will know that its full of jokes with truths popping sometimes. The only way to discover if its truth or not for real is if someone talks about it outside 4chan or if they show some sources. We can at least try to believe, but its not enough IMHO.

When you think about it logically, I can't see how they could have been anything besides being the same person. Remember, CV3 and CVA were developed alongside each other with no communication between the Famicom team and Gameboy team. Akamatsu's team was not aware of what the Gameboy team was doing besides probably that it was being developed for that system.

Even so, if we think logically like you said we will know for sure that Trevor=/=Christopher because of the timespan already mentioned here, sources being CV1 and Vampire Killer for MSX IIRC. Belmonts arent shown to have a super ability where they can live more than 100 years and still be young and able to fight and defeat Dracula.[/quote]

Why would they name their protagonist Ralph Christopher Belmont, then? It can't be continuity nod since they didn't know another Christopher Belmont existed, and assuming what the interviewee said is true, they didn't give a damn about continuity back then. Also, why would they choose to let the game take place 200 years before CV1 when they set up a prequel that takes place 100 years before? That doesn't make sense.

It makes sense, they set up a prequel when they launched the first game, without even knowing if it would be successful enough to receive a sequel or prequel. That shows that they wanted to expand in all directions without a specific order. Also they set up a prequel, but they never said that Christopher was the first Belmont to defeat Dracula, if they really wanted it to be the first game they would be more specific.

I know the manual says "more than a 100 years", but the opening intro just plain says 100. The intention seems pretty clear to me.

Castlevania 3 Translated Original Opening   

If you really want to follow what the game intro says, Trevor is called Ralph Belmondo, not Ralph C. Belmondo like in the manual.

I also recall a GameCenter CX interview where IGA acknowledges that the storyline of CV3 and CVA had conflicting elements, and that "everybody did whatever they wanted" back then.   

GameCenter CX S02E07 - Prince of Persia Part 1 [TV-Nihon]

Around the 35:00 mark.

Thanks, its like 2 months since we dont use this interview, since I like it here my +1.
IMO if they really wanted it to be Christopher they would have named it Christopher, not Ralph.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 12:17:55 PM »
This doesnt shows anything, for real. Everyone that really knows 4chan will know that its full of jokes with truths popping sometimes. The only way to discover if its truth or not for real is if someone talks about it outside 4chan or if they show some sources. We can at least try to believe, but its not enough IMHO.

I'm not saying because those two things were, this automatically would be as well. That would be faulty reasoning. I was just refuting Hero's argument about it being wrong just because it was from 2ch.           

Even so, if we think logically like you said we will know for sure that Trevor=/=Christopher because of the timespan already mentioned here, sources being CV1 and Vampire Killer for MSX IIRC. Belmonts arent shown to have a super ability where they can live more than 100 years and still be young and able to fight and defeat Dracula.

Could you show me what you're refering to?

It makes sense, they set up a prequel when they launched the first game, without even knowing if it would be successful enough to receive a sequel or prequel. That shows that they wanted to expand in all directions without a specific order. Also they set up a prequel, but they never said that Christopher was the first Belmont to defeat Dracula, if they really wanted it to be the first game they would be more specific.

No, I don't buy this. In Vampire Killer's manual (which I'm going to assume had the same story writer as CV1) the legend of Dracula is directly associated with the legend of Christopher. Dracula was sealed by Christopher, and then the legend was born that he would be revived every 100 years. They wouldn't call it the legend of Christopher if he wasn't the first Belmont to seal Dracula. Sure, I suppose you can retcon this, but the important thing is that's what the intention was at the time.

Quote from: Vampire Killer
Since ancient times, the Transylvanian people has spoken about the "legend of the hero Christopher". Once in a hundred years, a group of evil men are said to conduct a blass mass during each century to ressurect the devil Dracula at the tower of Colber  where he was sealed by the legendary hero. And exactly a hundred years has passed since he was sealed at the Tower of Colbert.

And even if you don't believe that, there's also the fact that CVA quite clearly establishes itself as the first story, which they never would have done if this wasn't the intent of the creators of CV1. Otherwise CVA would have fitted with CV3 without any problems.     

If you really want to follow what the game intro says, Trevor is called Ralph Belmondo, not Ralph C. Belmondo like in the manual.

The parts in the intro and the manual about if it's really 100 years before CV1 or not actually conflict with each other, though. Them calling Ralph just Ralph in the intro isn't an issue since they're just leaving out his middle initial. Also, I think they would just have said 200 years if that really was the intent instead of 100 years give or take.     
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:30:17 PM by Nagumo »

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »
CV3 Japanese manual: Over 100 years earlier... (百年余)
CVA Japanese manual: Dracula was still a sorcerer.

Was he still a sorcerer because this was the first time a Belmont confronted him or was he still a sorcerer because when Trevor defeated him, he wasn't actually defeated? If not for the IGA timeline, with both games' Japanese manuals considered, Trevor should be Christopher's father, Trevor failed to kill Dracula, Christopher defeated Dracula when he came back and then sealed him away, then 100 years later Dracula was resurrected as a demon. Trevor we know was in the 1400s, but what we don't know is when Christopher was actually around except by what IGA's crew retconned.

Either way, the real issue isn't whether Chris and Trevor are the same guys (Alucard never helped Christopher and all the games say Alucard, Sypher and Grant helped Trevor anyway, so this is moot discussion), but that Simon appears to have been placed in the wrong era. It seems more likely that Simon lived in the end of the 16th century, not the 17th century. The only way he could logically be living in the 17th century would be... Until I see the Japanese ending of CVA2, it says in the English one Soleiyu continued to fight Dracula even after Christopher had defeated him. So according to CVA2, Dracula still wasn't dead. Unless Trevor, Christopher or Soleiyu presumptuously had a tombstone engraved for Dracula thinking he was dead, according to the ending of a game made canon by IGA's crew, Dracula hadn't yet entered his 100 year cycle by the end of CVA2. That means Soleiyu battled Dracula at least one more time and THEN there was peace for 100 years in the English canon. (Update: In the Japanese ending, it just says he was a vampire hunter. They embellished inappropriately once again in the western version. Konami's western divisions need to learn to stop making up their own shit.)

And I said before, Trevor could have the middle name Christopher and his son could be Christopher if Trevor was a confirmed Catholic; confirmed Catholics had a given name, a Christened name, and a surname. Christopher might have not been confirmed or if he did we'll never know his middle name. Either way, it's not that uncommon for father and son or grandfather and grandson to share the same names. I'm named after my great-grandfathers (both of them) and there's even a tombstone with my name on it ... supposedly I'm already dead.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:10:32 PM by TheouAegis »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 03:26:20 PM »
Could you show me what you're refering to?

Vampire Killer manual, I think its on CV1 manual too but Im not sure about that.

No, I don't buy this. In Vampire Killer's manual (which I'm going to assume had the same story writer as CV1) the legend of Dracula is directly associated with the legend of Christopher. Dracula was sealed by Christopher, and then the legend was born that he would be revived every 100 years. They wouldn't call it the legend of Christopher if he wasn't the first Belmont to seal Dracula. Sure, I suppose you can retcon this, but the important thing is that's what the intention was at the time.

They would and they did call it "the legend of Christopher" because at this time Trevor didnt existed yet, he was the first known Belmont at the time to fight him, this doesnt means that he was truly the first. It is liking arguing why they didnt mentioned Alucard or Sypha in this manual or why they didnt show Simon being cursed at the end. These are concepts in work. Their intention seemed to be create a prequel to Simon's adventure, not a first game for this story.

And even if you don't believe that, there's also the fact that CVA quite clearly establishes itself as the first story, which they never would have done if this wasn't the intent of the creators of CV1. Otherwise CVA would have fitted with CV3 without any problems.

Where it says that it is the first story? I've played it only 1 time to beat it and thats all.

The parts in the intro and the manual about if it's really 100 years before CV1 or not actually conflict with each other, though. Them calling Ralph just Ralph in the intro isn't an issue since they're just leaving out his middle initial. Also, I think they would just have said 200 years if that really was the intent instead of 100 years give or take.

What the manual says about the year that the game happens? The manual says 100 years or more than 100 years? It seems that if we try to follow this intro we will be stuck in nonsensical discussion.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 01:29:46 AM »
For easy reference, here are all the translated Japanese manuals stories for CV1, Vampire Killer, CV3 and CVA:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv1/game-castlevania.htm
http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/vkill/game-vkiller.htm
http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv3/game-castlevaniadc.htm
http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cvgb1/game-cvtadvent.htm

Quote from: CV1
"During the middle ages, there was once a peaceful country named Transylvania in Europe. A country which is associated with the legend of Dracula.

'Once in a hundred, the power of Christ is weakened by man filled with evil in their hearts, praying for the ressurection of Dracula, the prince of darkness. And with each ressurection, he becomes more powerful than ever'

The last time Dracula was brought back into this world, the entire world was covered in darkness. With world of darkness now controlled by Dracula's ambitions, a hero named Christopher Belmont set out to defeat him. Christopher defeated Dracula and peace returned to the countryside of Transylvania, at least for another hundred years.

I'll be honest here, CV1's manual supports what you say about Christopher not being the first. However, I think later games blatantly ignore this. So, I think either it was a mistake or they just felt like ignoring it.

Quote from: Vampire Killer
Since ancient times, the Transylvanian people has spoken about the "legend of the hero Christopher". Once in a hundred years, a group of evil men are said to conduct a blass mass during each century to ressurect the devil Dracula at the tower of Colbert, where he was sealed by the legendary hero. And exactly a hundred years has passed since he was sealed at the Tower of Colbert. 

From the way it's phrased here, it seems to acknowledge Christopher as the first. Otherwise, I think they would have acknowledged more than one Belmont defeated him more. If you don't believe that, there's also this:

Quote from: CVA
"Transylvania, a small country in Europe, is associated even today with a demon's legend. With his powerful evil power, the legacy of Count Dracula has been dreaded by the people. However, no matter how many times Dracula comes back, he never manages to fully change the world into darkness as he is always put away by Simon, a descendant of the Belmont clan. However, the devil Dracula has existed long before his first confrontation. Not as the devil Dracula, but as an evil sorcerer. Count Dracula was a fanatical demon worshipper, who built a dark castle at the outskirts of Transylvania and conducted evil rituals every night. He has summoned several demons from the other world to serve him and he himself has been trying to get eternal life by becoming a demon king possesing evil powers. With each day, Count Dracula's evil powers became more frigtening, as he spread fear and terror to the people of the village. Until one day, a man stood up. It was Christopher, an ancestor of the Belmont family. Christopher rushed to the dark castle. Many demons and traps layed out are waiting for him at the castle. Will he be able to defeat the transformed devil, Count Dracula, as expected?   

This makes it quite clear Christopher is the first. There's no other way to interpret it. Even though this was later retconned by IGA, he seems to have just plain ignored what the manual says.

Castlevania III's manual says:

Quote from: CV3 manual
Go back in time more than a hundred years before Simon Belmont's time, when the the battle between Dracula and mankind began." 

Which is at odds with the opening intro which says 100 years before Simon. Conclusion: the storyline was a mess and there's no way to know for sure.  :P

However, going by what the interviewee said, he mentions two things in his answer: that Ralph's middle name is Christopher, and the fact that CV3 and CVA caused confusion. Since he mentions the two things in the same context, the confusion has to be because of the name thing.           

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 08:21:35 AM »
I must agree with you, this CVA manual really states Christopher as the first Belmont to battle Dracula and they created a great mess with all this content that you've shown here. Maybe they dont planned Trevor story or it was really meant to be a long forgotten legend?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 10:07:28 PM »
The story line really is a mess.

Lely, I'm going for the long forgotten legend because I don't think that people who make games during that time had an overarching master plan.

Anyway, why was the Ralph renamed Trevor?

Tags: