Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Belmont Abilities.  (Read 9024 times)

Offline Sorrow

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« on: December 29, 2013, 04:39:24 PM »
I was curious, as someone who hasn't played every Castlevania, as to what everyone thought each CANON Belmont (and their descendants) would be most proficient at and overall the strongest Belmont in each area.

Let's assume each and every Belmont was in a Castlevania game together and the things EVERY Belmont (or whip user if you will) could do was back-dash, slide, whip in all 8 directions, whip on the stairs, spin the whip and jump/crouch whip in the same amount of directions. But we know some may be more powerful in certain areas, some can swing from the whip, some can use spells and others can use martial arts or flips etcetera.

So I want to know, individually, not only which Belmont can use a certain attack, but also which of them would be the most effective in doing so.

The Whip; who would do the most damage with the whip?

Martial Arts; what martial arts can each do and for those that are shared, who is the strongest user?
An example answer listed in strength order (just an example):
Uppercut: Richter, Jonathon, Julius.

Sub-Weapons; same as above.
Holy Water: Simon, Julius, Richter, Jonathon, Trevor (you get the point).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:46:25 PM by Sorrow »

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 04:51:35 PM »
I can see Trevor excelling in sheer damage output and Richter in technique/finesse.

Juste would trump them all in magic due to Belnades genes.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 04:53:35 PM »
I was curious, as someone who hasn't played every Castlevania, as to what everyone thought each CANON Belmont (and their descendants) would be most proficient at and overall the strongest Belmont in each area.

Let's assume each and every Belmont was in a Castlevania game together and the things EVERY Belmont (or whip user if you will) could do was back-dash, slide, whip in all 8 directions, whip on the stairs, spin the whip and jump/crouch whip in the same amount of directions. But we know some may be more powerful in certain areas, some can swing from the whip, some can use spells and others can use martial arts or flips etcetera.

So I want to know, individually, not only which Belmont can use a certain attack, but also which of them would be the most effective in doing so.

The Whip; who would do the most damage with the whip?

Martial Arts; what martial arts can each do and for those that are shared, who is the strongest user?
An example answer listed in strength order (just an example):
Uppercut: Richter, Jonathon, Julius.

Sub-Weapons; same as above.
Holy Water: Simon, Julius, Richter, Jonathon, Trevor (you get the point)

Individual techniques or other or anything I missed out that some Belmonts can do.
Or perhaps you have a better way of giving an answer to my examples, either way I'm eager to know what everyone thinks.

I'm pretty sure that an equivalent to this topic was already posted, and died with time, but here I go anyway...

The Whip: If you play the games, you will notice that one of the most brutal whip attacks ever delivered comes from the WHip's Memory, or Richter. Four hits and down you go. However, Julius against Soma, who was already bidding on Dracula's power, also packed a brutal punch. I'm inclined to Julius here.

Martial Arts: Again, between Julius and Richter, but more inclined to Julius. I mean, one Dash from Richter can obliterate the majority of monsters with one hit, but Julius can outright avoid confrontation. The best battle is the battle never fought.

Sub-Weapons: Julius hands down. He doesn't have them all, but a single Grand Cross and you're dust.

And in the end, think of a old geezer fighting a young-Dracula-to-be, and saying that he was holding back.

He was holding back, while his Grand Cross crumbled a piece of the castle on the background.
He was holding back. Think about it for a second.

This battle is kind of like the Belmonts against Dracula: A young Belmont at peak power goes against old, recently ressurrected Dracula. On AoS, Young Dracula (Soma), at peak power battles an Old Belmont, recently "ressurrected" (Memory Loss). Now, Julius displayed on his 60' what Richter could not do in his 18!! Julius must be ridiculously powerful, and is my choice of winner. He may not excel at everything, but his sheer endurance would make him win by time.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 05:05:26 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »
individual techniques: Jonathan, since he is well versed in various weapons as he doesn't rely solely on the whip

i would also say Leon could be the most agile, and perhaps the "most persistent"

Offline Sorrow

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, but I didn't just mean explain the most powerful in each area of attack, but more a list of top to bottom and who can do what, I think my explanation was bad.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:23:16 PM by Sorrow »

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
I think Julius can bend Holy/Spiritual Energy. If he mastered that, he could do Gergoth Kamehameha but alas, he ain't no Avatar.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »
+5
I'm pretty sure you can cross swimming off the Abilities List for the whole family.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 07:38:08 PM »
What you want is difficult to do. First you'd have to somehow scale damage from game to game and many of them are very dissimilar systems with varying rules. Further, do you include story elements into that? Who do you include as a Belmont? I hear a lot of Jonathan being mentioned. Well, he's not a Belmont. He's a Morris.

So first off who are we comparing? This is who I would include as actual Belmonts:

-Akumajou Saga
--Leon
--Trevor
--Christopher
--Soleiyu
--Simon
--Juste
--Richter
--Julius

-Lords Saga
--Gabriel
--Trevor
--Simon
--Victor

-Others
--Sonia
--Sid
--Desmond
--Zoe
--Delores
--Simon III

Where do you go from there? It's hard to say. Some of these characters aren't in a game at all. Some are non-canon. Some are from different realities with different rules. Comparing them can be difficult because many of their qualities aren't quantifiable. Generally speaking in the original canon the farther in time you go, the more powerful the character is said to be. This is both because of narrative ego and developments in game play. Is Richter really stronger than Simon? Can this be a fair comparison when Simon is shown to have wildly differing abilities from remake to remake? That's really up to you to decide based on your objectives.
"Stuff and things."

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 12:52:27 AM »
Let's not forget the ancient Belmont ability of doing the backflip! Seriously why don't more Belmonts do this?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 11:59:55 AM »
Well, he's not a Belmont. He's a Morris.

Partially true. While his last name is Morris, he's also a Belmont by blood. In terms of abilities I'd have to say to forget about the martial arts aspect or any other form of physical combat. Anyone can learn that kind of fighting style. In order to discern true Belmont abilities you'd have to look at what makes them unique from other people and each other; their inner power. Each Belmont is different in this way. Although most games share the base protagonist design there are some that have power traits unique to them alone (which I'll admit is not a whole lot to name nor is it easy to do).
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sorrow

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 12:59:41 PM »
I would consider all of these Belmonts in not only blood, but the way the character plays.

--Leon
--Trevor
--Christopher
--Simon
--Juste
--Richter
--John Morris
--Johnathan
--Julius

Soleiyu seems too insignificant to bother with. We know shockingly little and well, Christopher is the main Belmont of the time.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:25:09 PM by Sorrow »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 06:18:18 PM »
I always had it in mind Belmonts should be near peak physical condition, mastery of using the whip, a little bit of magic for sub weapons and item crashes, and can, well jump good. Very good.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Belmont Abilities.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 04:50:19 PM »
+1
Well, I have a theory which I've posted on other threads that can account for why the Belmonts are the top vampire hunters and why they can't swim. It all goes back to LoI when Leon preformed that ritual that turned the WHIP OF ALCHEMY into the VAMPIRE KILLER. It is my belief that being he had to sacrifice someone who was tainted by a vampire and the fact that the whip is bound to the bloodline, the Belmonts staring with Leon are themselves "part vampire" or at least have some vampiric power.

As for the evidence, well they don't seem to be able to swim, which I've already mentioned. I did hear something that stated in CoD even though Trevor was near death after being stabbed by Issac and was saved by Julia, he got up and left the next day. Now that is only something I heard, but if the Belmonts actually recover that fast, it seems to indicate that they are more than human. Being "part vampire" would also explain why they are stronger than other hunters. As for them having "holy powers", I still think that the Belmonts powers are dark in nature (not evil, but dark), but they are wielding the Light/Holy element in their attacks. Also, not being able to swim could evidence as vampires traditionally have issues with water.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 05:35:29 PM »
I'll take all that over Alucard siring the bloodline with Sonia any day.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Belmont Abilities.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 07:57:30 PM »
I'll take all that over Alucard siring the bloodline with Sonia any day.
I didn't like that either. It's just as bad as in MoF where Trevor and Alucard are the same person.
Behold my power and tremble

Tags: