Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami Ceasing all AAA console production except for PES  (Read 11886 times)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Konami Ceasing all AAA console production except for PES
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 12:06:26 PM »
I guess until we see something no one is sure what to believe.

I sure as shit hope the next Castlevania isn't a mobile title though.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »
I guess until we see something no one is sure what to believe.

I sure as shit hope the next Castlevania isn't a mobile title though.

I don't know how Castlevania would even work on mobile. The only thing I can think of is a simple hack-'n-slash game without pretty much any kind off platforming, like that clone game Castle of Shadows. Either that or they will only pump out Encore of the Night games from now on. Both are susceptible to a micro transaction model, so Konami would probably be all over that.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2015, 01:58:49 PM »
They'll probably copy another mobile IP that is doing pretty well and slap the Castlevania name on it.

Mobile gaming has yet to show me something that is truly innovative or creative, it's just all one big shit heap of imitations and terrible F2P pay models. It's a perverted take on the business of entertainment and games.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 10:36:30 AM »
I hope that link that got posted turns out to be true and that Konami isn't giving up on consoles. Still, it's hard not to notice that they aren't the company they were even in the PS2 era. I also think it's misguided of them to think pushing mobile will save them, though I think a lot Japanese companies have really dropped the ball and think they're still operating in the 90's which is why some of them are having so much trouble these days.

Still, I'd like to see a mobile CV game (an adventure one). I wonder if it would be something like the DS games. 

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2015, 04:09:23 PM »
+1
I think a mobile cv if it's a classicvania style game or at least 2d or 2.5d would be great.

I replayed legends on my gameboy emulator on iPhone and the simple touch controls worked great. It was fine.

And mobile doesn't mean limited to phones or touch controls.

I'm an Apple TV owner. The new one that comes out this October will feature the App Store games. Sync a Bluetooth control and you've got an apple video game console. They're sneaking there way in through the back door to the living room gaming market and I predict it will be a game changer. It will be a $150 video game console, TV box, and iTunes Player.

It will basically make mobile and home console symbiotic. At least with Apple.

Perhaps Konami has more insight than some of us would like to think they do.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2015, 01:04:57 PM »
All these mentions of Mobile and all i can think of is

Yea..... :P
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2015, 01:42:37 PM »
+1

What's Abyssion from Tales of Symphonia doing in a Castlevania game?

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2015, 11:24:20 AM »

"Mobile" is a lot different now than it was when OoS came out. It wasn't a bad game for its time.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2015, 01:08:38 PM »
"Mobile" is a lot different now than it was when OoS came out. It wasn't a bad game for its time.
yea well like i said its the first thing that comes to mind.

Back then, we didn't game on phones as much as now either so it could be why it didn't take well. Thankfully there is emulation nowadays  ;)
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »
how about a "platformwr on rails" for mobile?  when you get close to the enemy, shake your phone to make Simon whip.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2015, 01:32:22 AM »
how about a "platformwr on rails" for mobile?  when you get close to the enemy, shake your phone to make Simon whip.

Hahaha. It could work. But it is just too awkward to play in public. "oops... bye phone...."

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2015, 07:51:56 AM »
So nobody cares that one of the biggest mobile App Stores on the planet is coming to the tv in the living room with Bluetooth controllers and all?

Am I seriously the only one who has anything to say about the line between mobile and console blurring? Apple TV is about to change the landscape for $150.

Yet when we discuss mobile all you guys can think of is touch controls and gimmicks...

Who knows what konami is thinking with focusing on mobile right now. Maybe they know that the console gaming market is about to be ambushed by what we call mobile games ATM.

I really think we need to change the way we think about how we game because the mobile gaming market and console are about to collide. I think big game devs are already thinking about this a lot and that's why Konami's behavior could mean something different than what we think it does. Maybe not, but you never know.

Konami moving away from big budget AAA titles means they could be planning on making more simple games on the mobile and soon to mobile console market. This could be good news for classic style Castlevania fans.

Of course it's anyone's guess at this point but I think my point is worthy of at least a shred of optimism.

ouya aimed big to change the market, and while their system failed it gave us a little peek into a different kind of gaming console. Apple has been successful in completely changing industries like how we consume and listen to music. If anyone can change how we game, it's them.

It's worth thinking about.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:41:30 AM by Belmontoya »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »
Doing some more reading about it and I guess the games are required to be compatible with the Siri remote which could be limiting. So we'll have to see how that goes...

I guess I'm being overly optimistic... ????
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:17:33 PM by Belmontoya »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2015, 02:13:42 AM »
Pachislot on Apple TV... why not? There are slot machine games on the apple store.

Tags: