Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania VS other game  (Read 6069 times)

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
  • Bloodstained : Delay of the Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« on: December 11, 2016, 08:50:49 AM »
This is a list/comparison of Castlevania game (well, most of ) and a game published at similar time in game of same.
plz comment which one of them is better. I just felt like posting it :P
The category is:
-Gameplay
-Sound
-Graphics
-Atmosphere of game

Castlevania I (1986, NES) - Legend of Zelda (1986, NES)
Castlevania II (1988, NES) - Zelda II Adventure of Link (1987, NES)
Castlevania III (1989 NES) - Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988, NES)
Super Castlevania IV (1991, SNES) - Legend of Zelda Link to the Past (1991, SNES)
Castlevania Rondo of Blood (1993, PC-Engine) - Doom (1993, PC)
Castlevania Dracula X (1995, SNES) - Final Fantasy 6 (1994, SNES)
Castlevania Adventure (1989, GB) - Tetris (1989, GB)
Castlevania Adventure II Belmont's Revenge (1991, GB) - Metroid II (1991, GB)
Castlevania Legend (1997, GB) - Pokemon Red & Blue (1997, GB)
Castlevania Symphony of The Night (1997, PS1) - Super Mario 64 (1996, N64)
Castlevania Chronicles (2001, PS1) - Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask (2000, N64)
Castlevania 64 (1999, N64) - Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (1998, N64)
Castlevania Legacy of Darkness (1999, N64) - Donkey Kong 64 (1999, N64)
Castlevania Circle of the Moon (2001, GBA) - Mario Kart Super Circuit (2001, GBA)
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance (2002, GBA) - Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire (2002, GBA)
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow (2003, GBA) - Mother 1+2 (2003, GBA)
Castlevania Lament of Innocence (2003, PS2) - Super Smash Bros. Melee (2001, GCN)
Castlevania Curse of Darkness (2005, PS2) - F Zero GX (2003, GCN)
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (2005, NDS) - Mario Kart DS (2005, NDS)
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin (2006, NDS) - Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (2006, NDS)
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia (2008, NDS) - Pokemon Platinum (2008, NDS)
Castlevania Harmony of Despair (2009, X360) - Pokemon HeartGold & Soulsilver (2009, NDS)

And just for fun factor:
Castlevania Pachinko (2015) VS Super Castlevania IV (1991)

PLZ don't start any hatred debate plz. Only for researching purpose. Not for trolling purpose or anything like that. Im dead serious. >:(

Also, its completely ur opinion. No biases or symbolism. Just ur personal opinion.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:29:12 AM by superc4 »

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:35:41 AM »
Castlevania 1 or The Legend of Zelda?
Bit of a sticker for me. I like both of the games a lot for completely different reasons. I'd probably go with CV1, though, since that's a game I can go back and infinitely replay and not get tired of it. Music is also better for me, and music is kind of a big deal to me in gaming, lol.

Simon's Quest or Adventure of Link?
Kinda weird choice since these games didn't come out the same year. Other games that actually came out in 1988 with Simon's Quest would be Altered Beast or Super Mario Bros. 2 (DDP), or even Super Mario Bros. 3.

That being said, Adventure of Link is easily the better game. It's like Simon's Quest but actually good. Simon's Quest has better music though.

Dracula's Curse or Super Mario Bros. 3?
Another weird one, since they're not the same year. Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Land, and Mega Man 2 all came out this year.

Dracula's Curse is easily the better game for me. Super Mario Bros. 3 is a masterpiece in its own right, being infinitely replayable and still holding its own even compared to modern games. But Dracula's Curse is my favorite NES game of all time. Game looks great, plays great, branching pathways, four playable characters, excellent music, multiple endings, intense boss fights. And its short and sweet enough to hop right back into after beating it.

Super Castlevania IV or A Link to the Past?
Another sticker for me, but for different reasons than CV1 vs. LoZ. Both of these games are just good to me, but nothing really memorable. I'll play them every once in a while, but I don't have any want or desire to jump back into them. They both look and play really nice, have great music, and are a lot of fun, but something about both of them kinda bores me time and again. This one's a pretty solid tie.

Rondo of Blood or Doom?
Rondo of Blood. Not counting the remake of it, RoB is the best of the Classicvanias, and like CV1 and 3, I'll replay this game over and over and over and still not be tired of it. I like Doom, but I've never had any desire to replay it after I beat it. They both have kickass soundtracks, too, though.

Dracula X or Final Fantasy VI?
Bust-a-Move, Front Mission, Panzer Dragoon, Twisted Metal, or Mortal Kombat 3 or something would've been a better comparison again, since same year.

But Final Fantasy VI, easily. Dracula X is decent, but from a technical standpoint, the game sucks. Overly repetitive environments, poor enemy placement, unfair hits due to short invincibility time you have, crappy level design, terrible final boss, etc. The Mode 7 flames look cool though and the music transitioned really well into the SNES.

FF6 is a fantastic RPG, though. There aren't many things I can think of that I don't like, and I certainly can't think of any off the top of my head.

The Adventure or Tetris?
Tetris. Game functions like it should and there's a reason it's been exactly the same since the 80's. The Adventure, while I find it decent, is a slow as molasses trod with some bad level design, enemy placement, and boss fights.

Belmont's Revenge or Metroid II?
Belmont's Revenge.

I've never played Metroid II, so BR wins by default.

Castlevania Legends or Pokemon Red/Blue?
Pokemon. Legends suffers from a lot of the same problems as The Adventure with some other wonky out of place crap. Pokemon is a classic, and while I personally hate the game series, there's no denying how solid it is.

Symphony of the Night or Super Mario 64?
Final Fantasy VII, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Tekken 3, Vandal Hearts, Star Fox 64, or GoldenEye 007 would've been a better comparison.

This is a bit of a sticker again, though. I love Symphony of the Night to death. Easily one of my favorite games of all time. I own it on literally every platform its come out on (aside from the Tiger Handheld), and I've beaten it countless times and still want to play it. But I feel the same way about Super Mario 64. Fantastic game and part of my childhood, so I also have some sentimental attachment to it. Bob-omb Battlefield's music never fails to make me excited. This one's a tie again.

Castlevania Chronicles or Majora's Mask?
Paper Mario, Final Fantasy X, Zelda Oracles, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Zone of the Enders, Twisted Metal: Black, and Sonic Adventure 2 all also came out in 2001.

But Majora's Mask. Both are fun games that I really enjoy, but there's just more going for Majora's Mask, and more bang for your buck.

Castlevania 64 or Ocarina of Time?
Honestly? Castlevania 64. I'm one of the many that just finds Ocarina of Time kind of boring after a while. Castlevania 64 may be kind of a wonky game, but I had fun with it, and its short enough to be fun for me.

Legacy of Darkness or Donkey Kong 64?
Legacy of Darkness. While I did play DK64 a lot as a kid, I honestly have zero memory of it. I still have my cartridge though, and once I get a new N64, I'm definitely gonna replay it.

Circle of the Moon or Mario Kart: Super Circuit?
Circle of the Moon. Mario Kart is boring single player.

Harmony of Dissonance or Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire?
Harmony of Dissonance. As I stated before, I don't like the Pokemon games, and this time its actually going up against a solid game, ugly visuals and wonky music aside.

Aria of Sorrow or Mother 1+2?
Aria of Sorrow wins by default, as I've never played any of the Mother games.

Lament of Innocence of Smash Melee?
Devil May Cry 2, Splinter Cell, Disaster Report, Xenosaga Ep. 1, Zone of the Enders 2, Wind Waker, and Ape Escape 2 all also came out in 2003.

But Lament of Innocence. Smash is boring single player and no one in my family or group of friends considers Melee to be the best (we're not competitive players). LoI is a solid game even with its hiccups and is one I replay frequently.

Curse of Darkness or F-Zero GX?
Minish Cap, Resident Evil 4, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, KOTOR 2, Tekken 5, Devil May Cry 3, and God of War all also released in 2005.

Curse of Darkness wins by default, though. I've never played any F-Zero games.

Dawn of Sorrow or Mario Kart DS?
Dawn of Sorrow, for the same reasons as Circle of the Moon.

Portrait of Ruin or Pokemon Diamond/Pearl?
Portrait of Ruin for the same reasons as Harmony of Dissonance.

Order of Ecclesia or Pokemon Platinum?
See above.

Harmony of Despair or Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver?
Never played the latter. So HD wins by default.

Pachislot or Castlevania IV?
I don't really get this one. I know it's just for fun, but most of us here haven't even played Pachislot, and the few of us who have would easily pick CV4 (aside from the few who honestly don't like CV4). It's just a strange one, like doing a comparison between Lara Croft: Relic Run and one of the modern Tomb Raider games.

------------------

That aside, the reason I pointed out other games that came out the same year as the specified CV is because they just seem like they'd be a more relevant comparison, considering the year they came out. Like with Curse of Darkness, there are plenty of major releases in 2005 to compare it to that it just seems weird to compare it to something from 2003. I did notice you picked largely Nintendo titles to compare them too, but even in those situations there are plenty of Nintendo titles to choose from in the same year. I still answered them all, anyway.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 10:04:15 AM »

This is a no-brainer to me. Super Castlevania IV for the win. Pachinkos aren't really even video games, let alone accurately portraying castlevania games.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 10:16:14 AM »
Castlevania 1 or The Legend of Zelda?
Bit of a sticker for me. I like both of the games a lot for completely different reasons. I'd probably go with CV1, though, since that's a game I can go back and infinitely replay and not get tired of it. Music is also better for me, and music is kind of a big deal to me in gaming, lol.

Simon's Quest or Adventure of Link?
Kinda weird choice since these games didn't come out the same year. Other games that actually came out in 1988 with Simon's Quest would be Altered Beast or Super Mario Bros. 2 (DDP), or even Super Mario Bros. 3.

That being said, Adventure of Link is easily the better game. It's like Simon's Quest but actually good. Simon's Quest has better music though.

Dracula's Curse or Super Mario Bros. 3?
Another weird one, since they're not the same year. Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Land, and Mega Man 2 all came out this year.

Dracula's Curse is easily the better game for me. Super Mario Bros. 3 is a masterpiece in its own right, being infinitely replayable and still holding its own even compared to modern games. But Dracula's Curse is my favorite NES game of all time. Game looks great, plays great, branching pathways, four playable characters, excellent music, multiple endings, intense boss fights. And its short and sweet enough to hop right back into after beating it.

Super Castlevania IV or A Link to the Past?
Another sticker for me, but for different reasons than CV1 vs. LoZ. Both of these games are just good to me, but nothing really memorable. I'll play them every once in a while, but I don't have any want or desire to jump back into them. They both look and play really nice, have great music, and are a lot of fun, but something about both of them kinda bores me time and again. This one's a pretty solid tie.

Rondo of Blood or Doom?
Rondo of Blood. Not counting the remake of it, RoB is the best of the Classicvanias, and like CV1 and 3, I'll replay this game over and over and over and still not be tired of it. I like Doom, but I've never had any desire to replay it after I beat it. They both have kickass soundtracks, too, though.

Dracula X or Final Fantasy VI?
Bust-a-Move, Front Mission, Panzer Dragoon, Twisted Metal, or Mortal Kombat 3 or something would've been a better comparison again, since same year.

But Final Fantasy VI, easily. Dracula X is decent, but from a technical standpoint, the game sucks. Overly repetitive environments, poor enemy placement, unfair hits due to short invincibility time you have, crappy level design, terrible final boss, etc. The Mode 7 flames look cool though and the music transitioned really well into the SNES.

FF6 is a fantastic RPG, though. There aren't many things I can think of that I don't like, and I certainly can't think of any off the top of my head.

The Adventure or Tetris?
Tetris. Game functions like it should and there's a reason it's been exactly the same since the 80's. The Adventure, while I find it decent, is a slow as molasses trod with some bad level design, enemy placement, and boss fights.

Belmont's Revenge or Metroid II?
Belmont's Revenge.

I've never played Metroid II, so BR wins by default.

Castlevania Legends or Pokemon Red/Blue?
Pokemon. Legends suffers from a lot of the same problems as The Adventure with some other wonky out of place crap. Pokemon is a classic, and while I personally hate the game series, there's no denying how solid it is.

Symphony of the Night or Super Mario 64?
Final Fantasy VII, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Tekken 3, Vandal Hearts, Star Fox 64, or GoldenEye 007 would've been a better comparison.

This is a bit of a sticker again, though. I love Symphony of the Night to death. Easily one of my favorite games of all time. I own it on literally every platform its come out on (aside from the Tiger Handheld), and I've beaten it countless times and still want to play it. But I feel the same way about Super Mario 64. Fantastic game and part of my childhood, so I also have some sentimental attachment to it. Bob-omb Battlefield's music never fails to make me excited. This one's a tie again.

Castlevania Chronicles or Majora's Mask?
Paper Mario, Final Fantasy X, Zelda Oracles, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Zone of the Enders, Twisted Metal: Black, and Sonic Adventure 2 all also came out in 2001.

But Majora's Mask. Both are fun games that I really enjoy, but there's just more going for Majora's Mask, and more bang for your buck.

Castlevania 64 or Ocarina of Time?
Honestly? Castlevania 64. I'm one of the many that just finds Ocarina of Time kind of boring after a while. Castlevania 64 may be kind of a wonky game, but I had fun with it, and its short enough to be fun for me.

Legacy of Darkness or Donkey Kong 64?
Legacy of Darkness. While I did play DK64 a lot as a kid, I honestly have zero memory of it. I still have my cartridge though, and once I get a new N64, I'm definitely gonna replay it.

Circle of the Moon or Mario Kart: Super Circuit?
Circle of the Moon. Mario Kart is boring single player.

Harmony of Dissonance or Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire?
Harmony of Dissonance. As I stated before, I don't like the Pokemon games, and this time its actually going up against a solid game, ugly visuals and wonky music aside.

Aria of Sorrow or Mother 1+2?
Aria of Sorrow wins by default, as I've never played any of the Mother games.

Lament of Innocence of Smash Melee?
Devil May Cry 2, Splinter Cell, Disaster Report, Xenosaga Ep. 1, Zone of the Enders 2, Wind Waker, and Ape Escape 2 all also came out in 2003.

But Lament of Innocence. Smash is boring single player and no one in my family or group of friends considers Melee to be the best (we're not competitive players). LoI is a solid game even with its hiccups and is one I replay frequently.

Curse of Darkness or F-Zero GX?
Minish Cap, Resident Evil 4, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, KOTOR 2, Tekken 5, Devil May Cry 3, and God of War all also released in 2005.

Curse of Darkness wins by default, though. I've never played any F-Zero games.

Dawn of Sorrow or Mario Kart DS?
Dawn of Sorrow, for the same reasons as Circle of the Moon.

Portrait of Ruin or Pokemon Diamond/Pearl?
Portrait of Ruin for the same reasons as Harmony of Dissonance.

Order of Ecclesia or Pokemon Platinum?
See above.

Harmony of Despair or Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver?
Never played the latter. So HD wins by default.

Pachislot or Castlevania IV?
I don't really get this one. I know it's just for fun, but most of us here haven't even played Pachislot, and the few of us who have would easily pick CV4 (aside from the few who honestly don't like CV4). It's just a strange one, like doing a comparison between Lara Croft: Relic Run and one of the modern Tomb Raider games.

------------------

That aside, the reason I pointed out other games that came out the same year as the specified CV is because they just seem like they'd be a more relevant comparison, considering the year they came out. Like with Curse of Darkness, there are plenty of major releases in 2005 to compare it to that it just seems weird to compare it to something from 2003. I did notice you picked largely Nintendo titles to compare them too, but even in those situations there are plenty of Nintendo titles to choose from in the same year. I still answered them all, anyway.

Yeh. Agreed. Im kinda (actually, very) Nintendo-ish person. (Personally love Mariokart and Pokemon, but everyone has opinions. I gotta respect urs.). And cuz I tend to stick on the series/games I know a lot about, I dunno about games as in quantity. Some games I squeezed them in. Also, my comparison was more to the graphic, artwork and music of the game. Also I was being fluent with the years and such cuz I don't know much else to put on in some games.

Honestly, most games here was a mostly a very quick playing from friends home or borrowing theirs overnight.
But, much respect for ur effort.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:43:38 AM by superc4 »

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 10:17:10 AM »
This is a no-brainer to me. Super Castlevania IV for the win. Pachinkos aren't really even video games, let alone accurately portraying castlevania games.

Yeah. That's just a no-brainer for fun sake. Best Castlevania and one doesn't even qualify as one.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 03:49:13 PM »
Some of the comparisons do seem kinda odd but here's my 2 cents.  It's more based on which title I like better or would prefer to play -- their graphics, atmosphere, music, and gameplay contribute to that preference, but rarely (if ever) do I specifically consider those details.

--- I think both are really fantastic games.  I like the atmosphere and style of CV, but I also like the length and structure of LoZ.  I don't know that I could name on as the better game.

--- Again, I really like both of these games, but I feel like LoZ2 is better developed overall than CV2.

--- The comparison seems a little odd here.  LoZ titles seem more comparable to CV than Mario titles.  Anyway, again I think I'd struggle to name one a better game.  Both are incredible games and a ton of fun to play.

Super Castlevania IV (1991, SNES) - Legend of Zelda Link to the Past (1991, SNES)
--- I'm one of the few who just weren't that impressed with CV4.  It's a nice game and I did enjoy it, but I like LoZ:LttP significantly more.  I think I would always choose LttP over CV4.

--- I haven't played either of these games.  Doom just isn't the type of game I enjoy, so I'd be much more interested in RoB.

--- FF6 as in the one that was actually FF3 here?  Again, I haven't played either, but I think I'd be more interested in what the FF title has to offer.

--- This is one of the comparisons that seems incredibly odd to me.  I mean no insult, you've got your reasons I'm sure.  To me though, this seems like more of an apples and oranges comparison.  The two games seem too different.  Still, if I was gonna pick one, I don't really care for Tetris so I'd pick Adventure.  After a few minutes, Tetris is too repetitive for me.

--- I've only played Metroid 2, and that only recently.  If we go by that then Metroid wins by default.  I think I might like the CV title better though if I'd played it.

--- I've played a little bit of these Pokemon titles when with friends who owned them, but I never did so I never got far.  I couldn't really pick from these without playing them.  CV has my favor for the series going for it, but these classic Pokemon games are pretty good too.

--- Not sure I could pick a better game here either.  I really love both of these titles.  Both of them had significant impacts on games and on their own series as well.  I've played and beaten both maybe 7 or 8 times.

--- I've never played Chronicles, but I'd have to pick it.  The gameplay of Majora's Mask really annoys me. :-/

--- I really like both of these games, but since LoD is probably my favorite CV title, and CV64 is basically the same game, I'd pick CV64.

--- Legacy of Darkness.

Castlevania Circle of the Moon (2001, GBA) - Mario Kart Super Circuit (2001, GBA)
--- This one is another where the two games seem too different to be comparable.  CotM might be my favorite handheld CV title, and solo on any Mario Kart game isn't that fun for long, so I'm definitely picking CotM.

Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance (2002, GBA) - Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire (2002, GBA)
--- Never played these Pokemon games, but since I'm not terribly fond of them any, I'd pick HoD without question.

--- While I haven't officially played Mother 1, I absolutely love Mother 2/Earthbound.  While Chrono Cross was the title that first got me interested in turn-based RPG games, my friend wouldn't let me borrow it because he was actively playing it.  Instead he lent me Earthbound.  I really like AoS, but I think I'd pick Mother.

Castlevania Lament of Innocence (2003, PS2) - Super Smash Bros. Melee (2001, GCN)
--- I'd pick LoI.  Melee is pretty great, and at least has the different solo modes to add to gameplay, but it's only fun for so long, and I really suck at that game when it comes to competitive play.

--- Very different titles.  I'd go with CV though for similar reasons like when I chose CotM over Mario Kart.  Solo racing isn't terribly fun for that long.

--- Pretty much the same answer as above.

--- Pretty much the same answer as other comparisons involving a Pokemon game.  I'm not that fond of the series, and this is a decent CV game up against it.

--- Once again...

Castlevania Harmony of Despair (2009, X360) - Pokemon HeartGold & Soulsilver (2009, NDS)
--- And one last time...

And just for fun factor:
--- I've never played a Pachinko, and I don't really get why they use a CV skin on it because that seems weird to me.  CV4 would be my pick here.

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 08:58:16 PM »
Some of the comparisons do seem kinda odd but here's my 2 cents.  It's more based on which title I like better or would prefer to play -- their graphics, atmosphere, music, and gameplay contribute to that preference, but rarely (if ever) do I specifically consider those details.

--- I think both are really fantastic games.  I like the atmosphere and style of CV, but I also like the length and structure of LoZ.  I don't know that I could name on as the better game.

--- Again, I really like both of these games, but I feel like LoZ2 is better developed overall than CV2.

--- The comparison seems a little odd here.  LoZ titles seem more comparable to CV than Mario titles.  Anyway, again I think I'd struggle to name one a better game.  Both are incredible games and a ton of fun to play.

--- I'm one of the few who just weren't that impressed with CV4.  It's a nice game and I did enjoy it, but I like LoZ:LttP significantly more.  I think I would always choose LttP over CV4.

--- I haven't played either of these games.  Doom just isn't the type of game I enjoy, so I'd be much more interested in RoB.

--- FF6 as in the one that was actually FF3 here?  Again, I haven't played either, but I think I'd be more interested in what the FF title has to offer.

--- This is one of the comparisons that seems incredibly odd to me.  I mean no insult, you've got your reasons I'm sure.  To me though, this seems like more of an apples and oranges comparison.  The two games seem too different.  Still, if I was gonna pick one, I don't really care for Tetris so I'd pick Adventure.  After a few minutes, Tetris is too repetitive for me.

--- I've only played Metroid 2, and that only recently.  If we go by that then Metroid wins by default.  I think I might like the CV title better though if I'd played it.

--- I've played a little bit of these Pokemon titles when with friends who owned them, but I never did so I never got far.  I couldn't really pick from these without playing them.  CV has my favor for the series going for it, but these classic Pokemon games are pretty good too.

--- Not sure I could pick a better game here either.  I really love both of these titles.  Both of them had significant impacts on games and on their own series as well.  I've played and beaten both maybe 7 or 8 times.

--- I've never played Chronicles, but I'd have to pick it.  The gameplay of Majora's Mask really annoys me. :-/

--- I really like both of these games, but since LoD is probably my favorite CV title, and CV64 is basically the same game, I'd pick CV64.

--- Legacy of Darkness.

--- This one is another where the two games seem too different to be comparable.  CotM might be my favorite handheld CV title, and solo on any Mario Kart game isn't that fun for long, so I'm definitely picking CotM.

--- Never played these Pokemon games, but since I'm not terribly fond of them any, I'd pick HoD without question.

--- While I haven't officially played Mother 1, I absolutely love Mother 2/Earthbound.  While Chrono Cross was the title that first got me interested in turn-based RPG games, my friend wouldn't let me borrow it because he was actively playing it.  Instead he lent me Earthbound.  I really like AoS, but I think I'd pick Mother.

--- I'd pick LoI.  Melee is pretty great, and at least has the different solo modes to add to gameplay, but it's only fun for so long, and I really suck at that game when it comes to competitive play.

--- Very different titles.  I'd go with CV though for similar reasons like when I chose CotM over Mario Kart.  Solo racing isn't terribly fun for that long.

--- Pretty much the same answer as above.

--- Pretty much the same answer as other comparisons involving a Pokemon game.  I'm not that fond of the series, and this is a decent CV game up against it.

--- Once again...

--- And one last time...

And just for fun factor:
--- I've never played a Pachinko, and I don't really get why they use a CV skin on it because that seems weird to me.  CV4 would be my pick here.
I see. Most of the comments are saying that the comparison is bit off for some games. Thx anyway!

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 08:59:41 PM »
Also, I forgot about Castlevania Judgment (2008, Wii) - Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Wii) :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 09:31:51 PM »
FF6 as in the one that was actually FF3 here?

Correct.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 09:33:28 PM »
I think the first 4 are really good comparisons, so I'll comment on those.

Castlevania. Although I love Zelda and it's just as iconic and there's a B Quest, Castlevania is more atmospheric, less repetitive, better music and more memorable tracks (more tracks in general), better gameplay and it's aged much better graphically.

Castlevania, basically for the same reasons as above (minus the B Quest of LOZ). Zelda II isn't a bad game but it's a grind and can feel repetitive.

It's a tough one. I prefer CV>Mario, but out of the 2d Mario's 3 is my absolute favourite. I haven't played CV3 enough to know its in's and outs, but I will say that the gameplay felt more restrictive or "sticky" than its predecessors.
Gameplay = SMB3
Atmosphere = Tie
Music = CVIII
Graphics = Tie, I can't call it. 

ALTTP wins this for me. Barely, in the sense that I've played ALTTP much more (to the point I can defeat Ganon's castle in around 15 minutes or something), but here's why:
They tie on all fronts, they're both the iconic 16 masterpiece representing each franchise. There has never been another SCVIV or ALTTP made (Chronicles and even ALBW don't count imo, though they're the closest we will get), however, ALTTP has aged more gracefully imo. That and when I pick up ALTTP I want to keep playing it. After the 3rd of 4th stage of SCVIV, I find myself getting disinterested *dodges holy water, triple cross and throwing knives* but that's just me.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 09:42:04 PM »
I think the first 4 are really good comparisons, so I'll comment on those.

Castlevania. Although I love Zelda and it's just as iconic and there's a B Quest, Castlevania is more atmospheric, less repetitive, better music and more memorable tracks (more tracks in general), better gameplay and it's aged much better graphically.

Castlevania, basically for the same reasons as above (minus the B Quest of LOZ). Zelda II isn't a bad game but it's a grind and can feel repetitive.

It's a tough one. I prefer CV>Mario, but out of the 2d Mario's 3 is my absolute favourite. I haven't played CV3 enough to know its in's and outs, but I will say that the gameplay felt more restrictive or "sticky" than its predecessors.
Gameplay = SMB3
Atmosphere = Tie
Music = CVIII
Graphics = Tie, I can't call it. 

ALTTP wins this for me. Barely, in the sense that I've played ALTTP much more (to the point I can defeat Ganon's castle in around 15 minutes or something), but here's why:
They tie on all fronts, they're both the iconic 16 masterpiece representing each franchise. There has never been another SCVIV or ALTTP made (Chronicles and even ALBW don't count imo, though they're the closest we will get), however, ALTTP has aged more gracefully imo. That and when I pick up ALTTP I want to keep playing it. After the 3rd of 4th stage of SCVIV, I find myself getting disinterested *dodges holy water, triple cross and throwing knives* but that's just me.

Thx. That was what I wanted, but guess I have to come up with better games to compare :/

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 10:21:36 PM »
Thx. That was what I wanted, but guess I have to come up with better games to compare :/

Some of the comparisons are like chalk and cheese, purely for the fact that for eg CV vs F-Zero/ Mario Kart is comparing a 1 player game to a multi-player game. It's a completely different experience altogether when you involve other players, and to an extent it's debatable that those types of games are best experienced with additional players.

As a side note, something like POR vs Super Mario 64 as one eg could be interesting. Both are completely different games with completely different styles of gameplay, but they use the theme of entering portraits to access smaller zones. Just a thought.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 09:17:02 AM »

I mean, no you don't? Everyone here commented on the strange comparisons, but answered them anyway.

Also, I forgot about Castlevania Judgment (2008, Wii) - Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Wii) :P

Brawl, easily. More to do, and has a competent story mode that makes it at least decent to play solo. Judgment's story mode kinda sucks.

Though Judgment definitely wins in the music department. That OST is incredible.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 04:57:50 PM »
I think I really just would echo Zangetsu's sentiment in regards to the comparisons of CV to racing games and Tetris.  I think the comparisons work fine if it's to stuff like LoZ, Metroid, Doom, FF, etc.  Comparison to Mario games is okay, but it's just the comparison with FZero, Mario Kart, and Tetris that really throw me.

Although I guess there were also a few where I like your comparisons too equally to choose one over the other.  I've never been that great at choosing a single favorite thing.

I'd definitely pick Smash Bros over Judgment though.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 11:07:15 PM »
Where's Lords of Shadow?

Tags: