Poll

When playing metroidvanias, what's your preferred play-style?

Offensive.
11 (68.8%)
Defensive.
0 (0%)
Mixed/Balanced.
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: January 30, 2017, 10:50:01 PM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Clan de la Luz Project  (Read 22500 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »
That's precisely one feature i want to change. I'm trying to create faster and more agressive enemies (not too much, because i love exploration). I didn't expect the prefference for offensive play style were so high. :o

I managed to implement button binding in the game, however, i can't assure it will work fine for anyone. I don't know how well Game Maker support gamepads. People having an Xbox 360 compatible controller or PS3 compatible controller should'nt have problems. I suspect the button detection will be different for some other controllers. D-pad lovers are welcome (providing you have a supported controller  ;D)

That is a real pretty controller menu.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »
I think the menu is a little confusing. Having a visual representation of the controller is a good idea, but it can  have complications. For example, the "X,Y,A,B" buttons have different mapping locations depending on which controller you're using.

Here are some examples I found online which might be a good reference:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

My two cents would be to go with a more generic "Action -> [KEYBINDING GOES HERE]" layout. I think all of the examples I posted above share this style. It's simple and easy to read, I think your menu has a lot going on which makes it harder to understand.

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 01:36:01 PM »
I think the menu is a little confusing. Having a visual representation of the controller is a good idea, but it can  have complications. For example, the "X,Y,A,B" buttons have different mapping locations depending on which controller you're using.
Yes, I'm aware of that issue. I need to get more gamepad models to continue the testing. With a little more programming, i believe i can handle the mapping locations problem. If i can't solve it, then i'll use an scheme similar to that shown in the images you've posted.

I think your menu has a lot going on which makes it harder to understand.
At the end, i think the procedure for binding is simple:
1. Select a button from the left panel (1-8)
2. Select the action for the button from the right side.

That is a real pretty controller menu.
Thakns! I admit i have kind of an obssesion for fancy, beautiful graphics elements, even if they affect the ease of use.

Maybe there is too much visual information, but that is what i had in mind. However, i appreciate all of your feedback. I'll see how this can be improved.

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 10:50:44 PM »
More color variations. Still liking the black on black scheme, but the red coat looks good too, i guess.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 04:49:23 PM »
Black on black still looks the best. Red on black is totally Alucard from Hellsing or Vash the Stampede.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »
The Red on white (Third on the bottom) reminds me of Alucard wannabe- Oops sorry, Juste Belmont  ;D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2017, 11:41:48 PM »
Black on black is the best for me.

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2017, 01:46:48 AM »
Red on black is totally Alucard from Hellsing or Vash the Stampede.

Black on black still looks the best.The Red on white (Third on the bottom) reminds me of Alucard wannabe- Oops sorry, Juste Belmont  ;D

Not the only thing in common wth Juste: being a descendant of the Belnades family, Nil is (or will be) capable of using elemental magic.

Black on black is the best for me.
Black on black it is then!

Thank you for your input! All his sprites have to be re-done now. Aaah... :s
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:03:43 PM by kaonstantine »

anything