Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Forum's Special Ranks and Awards  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:18:18 AM »
+2
Im making this thread because Im curious about these special ranks (like a scythe instead of hearts) and awards, I first thought about asking directly to Jorge or a moderator, but I find its more easy to do a thread since everyone will know about that this way.

So, these awards are being given yet or its a thing from the past? What about these special ranks, how someone can gain that? I know thats not something so special, but Im curious about that.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 07:24:10 AM »
I have a feeling that Sindra's have something to do with being both a Dungeonite since the olden days and an ICVD member, but I think there's also something else which I don't know yet.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:44:49 AM »
Now when we say Dungeonite since the old days, we're referring to the old GameSpy forum and when the Dungeon itself was more frequently updated followed by a massive drought of no updates, the eventual take down of the old GameSpy forum and change over to the new one? Or was there something before the old GameSpy forum (anything prior to 2002-ish I'm not really sure)?

And I think there's a separate ICVD member award, but I don't really know (I've only relatively recently returned after a many moons hiatus).

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:45:51 AM »
+1
The CV dungeon goes all the way back to the 90's. The earliest I can remember about it was 97'. I don't exactly know when it first started.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:12:27 AM »
I remember going to the main site back in the 90's but I don't think I took the dive into the forum until the turn of the 21st century...I think? It's kind of hard to remember without the old forum data.  :P The wayback machine only stores so much data...  ;D

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 10:38:44 AM »
+1
I'm old. I don't remember.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »
Before the Gamespy forums, the Dungeon was powered by EZboard. Then it got hacked, I remember a huge picture of Christ being the placeholder for a bit, and that's how the Gamespy forums came about. (I can't remember if there was something in the interval)

That's around the time I joined. If you really needed an outline.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »
Thank you Sindra! I thought I remember hearing talk of the "old board" when I joined during the gamespy days, so I assumed there had to of been a different host prior to the gamespy forum. Thank you very much for the clarification and little insight into the ol' dungeon's history.  ;D

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 06:55:10 PM »
+2
Wow, people are really wondering about the Scythes, aren't they.

Well, allow me to shed some light on this:
There are two Administrators.  Both admins will have five (5) of these:

There are Global Moderators (mods that can interact with the entire Forum).  They will have five (5) of these:

Moderator are Mods that for whatever reason have chosen to moderate only one or more forums.
There are currently NONE of these.  In the past, there have been people who have been in charge of only a few subforums (like Fan Stuff and Off Topic).
If there were such Mods still around, they would have five (5) of these:

A "RetroDungeonite" is a forum member who has been around since the EZForum days.  Currently there are very few of these.  These forum members may or may not be part of the "Inverted Castlevania Dungeon Forums", a 'sister' forum to this forum.
Those people would have this icon:

Note: There are other membergroups but they are super-duper-seeeeeecretive (or I'm completely lying and/or haven't found use for them yet).

Then there are the Post-Based Hunter Ranks.  These are ranks automagically bestowed upon people by sticking around.  IN other forums they would grant you perks and bonuses... but not here.  Right here you're all pretty much equal, and the Ranks are only to let people know who's a newbie and who's an oldie.  They are as follows:

Newbie  (0 posts)
Hunter in Training   (3 posts)
Vampire Hunter (100 posts))
Legendary Hunter   (500 posts)
Master Hunter  (1000 posts)

Some recently-added features this forum has (relatively speaking) are the "Awards", the "Respect", and "Thread Rating".

-----
"Respect" is really not the right term, though it is not an unwarranted term.  Every time you write a quality post, a non-newbie Hunter may 'promote' the post.  You can do this by clicking on the little Plus sign (+) at the top of a person's post.  This adds +1 to a person's respect.  You can write awesome posts or great replies to posts and you will see whether what you're saying is a quality thing to say, or whether you're saying something inflammatory (you can see minuses as well).

A person with low/negative Respect is likely a person who writes disagreeable things.  Either that or someone's got a Vendetta against 'em and they're following them around minus-ing every post they make.  Ix-nay on the ating-ray adly-bay, as ods-may can see who is being a oll-tray. :P

-----

"Thread Rating" lets people see when a thread is worth looking into.  You do this by giving a full thread a Star Rating by selecting a number of Stars at the top of a thread.  If you see a five-star thread, it's likely to be good, whereas a one-star thread may be bad (unrated threads are up for grabs).

Star Ratings are a staple of the OLD OLD OLD forums.  They've been brought back only to harken back to that time and rating a thread badly or awesomely does not affect anything other than its rating display on the forum index (it would look like this )

----

"The Awards"

The "Awards" system is purely honorary titles given to people.  They can be something like Crisis's "Trollmeister" award, Freak's "Pervert" award, etc.
How do you get an award, you ask?
Start behaving in exemplary (or infamous) ways, and someone may shoot me a Private Message nominating you for an award.
Do you work on a lot of NES hacks?  You may get a "Hack Master" award.
Do you listen to a lot of music  You may get a "Music Fanatic" award.  If you compose it, you may get "Chief Conductor".
Does it seem like you're always responding, to every thread, around the clock, every day?  You may get a "Permanent Resident" award.

These are a few examples.
More info about the forum's "Awards" here.
NOTE: I just stickied that thread up on Off Topic, so that it is easy to recall.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:00:11 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 07:35:22 PM »
This explains a lot. I've not posted since 2007/2008.

It's a good thing there are no Sacred Fist icons. I'd go as far as to steal someone's identity to get them.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:37:22 PM by Lashen »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 07:47:02 PM »
The Sacred Fist is a post icon.  See above. :P
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »
You know not how soon you will tire of seeing it. :P
(click to show/hide)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 08:05:46 PM »
Thanks, since I didnt have seen people being rewarded I thought its a thing from the past, you clarified all my questions and even more. :)

Also this Sacred Fist is new? I dont remember seeing that before.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 08:21:28 PM »
It may or may not have been added about a half hour ago.  >.>
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 08:38:27 PM »
You're my new hero, Jorge.
(click to show/hide)

anything