Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Curse Of Darkness Vs. Lament of Innocence  (Read 28751 times)

AlucardTheEternal

Curse Of Darkness Vs. Lament of Innocence
« on: November 29, 2007, 10:45:21 PM »
Well, from the PS2 versions of Castlevania. Which in your opinion is better? Curse Od Darkness Vs. Lament Of Innocence. BUT why?

AlucardTheEternal

Re: Curse Of Darkness Vs. Lament of Innocence
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 10:48:09 PM »
I say Curse Of Darkness.

Its got more stuff to complete, it takes longer. Such as all the summon paths, and completing all the maps 100%.
That and you get more weapons other than whip, you get a Variety.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 11:17:04 PM »
I enjoyed playing LoI a lot more than CoD, it was just a funner experience (but that's not really saying much). LoI felt smoother, CoD felt clunkier. However CoD gets some points for giving some incentive on the 1999 event, and also loses some for not even mentioning the characters from CVIII. LoI loses points for not expanding on Mathias & Leon's friendship, and the whole backdrop in general (mainly, their actions during the Crusades).

Things like these really need to be expanded upon for the next console game for, ya know, some replay value.

Stigma Black

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 11:19:29 PM »
Lament.

Leon's combat system is fun to play... and he isn't voiced by Crispin Freeman. Those are two big bonuses in my book.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 11:27:26 PM »
They both had bad level design, but Lament had a whip, and whip swinging (poorly implemented). CoD had a summon system, and Trevor.

Hard choice... but Trevor wins out. Both story sucked quited a bit of balls though.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 05:09:04 AM »
CoD > LoI
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 06:25:42 AM »
LoI was a more beautiful game in my opinion, but I enjoy playing CoD more.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Pneophen

• Ok. We'll move.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 10:55:06 AM »
I'd go with LoI since it's less of a chore to play through than CoD.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 11:22:37 AM »
LoI was a more beautiful game in my opinion, but I enjoy playing CoD more.

My thoughts almost exactly. LoI had a much better gothic appeal to it, and much goth-ier music. But I love the story, setting, and characters of CoD a lot more. I bet it surprises a  lot of you that I didn't say CoD right off the bat, but I guess ultimately I have to go with CoD. But I still love LoI, just for the fact that it is without doubt the most gothic video game I've ever played, and I love that.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

AlucardTheEternal

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 11:44:51 AM »
I also like COD because i mean Hector isnt like a Vampire Killer, this story kinda strays away from the Castlevania plot, he wasnt intentionally after Dracula. Though a great game to me still

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 12:07:13 PM »
Well, I liked them both. I did like how Curse had more out door levels and I think I like the music better (abandoned castle and Cordove Town especially). But I like Lament a lot too. Kind of hard to pick a fav

However, as far as 3-D CV goes, and I know this isn't in discussion, 64 has the best level design and is most fun to play
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline elbryan42

• Bargle Nawdle Zouss???
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 12:36:54 PM »
I loved LOI and hated COD. All advances made in LOI (like axing leveling up, not having an abundance of items, simple gameplay, a nice hub structure) were all reversed in COD, along with a useless Innocent Devils feature, the same damn combos for every weapon, and larger, more boring, rooms.

LOI is worlds better, being one of my favorite games of all time (Nanobreaker also is a sweet game with the same engine, BTW), and COD is brutal. Quite possibly my least favorite Castlevania.
----------------------------------------------------
Check out Elbryan42's Doom Depot! Check out the Doom 64 TC and download some Doom music.
http://doomdepot.doom2.net/

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 01:12:45 PM »
I loved LOI and hated COD. All advances made in LOI (like axing leveling up, not having an abundance of items, simple gameplay, a nice hub structure) were all reversed in COD, along with a useless Innocent Devils feature, the same damn combos for every weapon, and larger, more boring, rooms.

LOI is worlds better, being one of my favorite games of all time (Nanobreaker also is a sweet game with the same engine, BTW), and COD is brutal. Quite possibly my least favorite Castlevania.

LOI seemed to have more detailed polished graphics but overall the graphics weren't as varied as CoD, I got tired of going through almost identical looking rooms in LoI. CoD had more variety in terms of location. And the innocent devil's aren't useless you need them to do certain things and they make life alot easier especially in the Isaac fight, sure if you want a challenge you don't have to use them but I thought they were a cool fun feature. :)
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 02:10:59 PM »
I loved the polish in LoI. Everything seemed more smooth. There were nice reflection effects on the marble-looking floors. Leon was very fluid in his movements(as were monsters). But yeah, the "look" of CoD in terms of design, I liked more than LoI. There was more variety. Had that variety been as smooth as LoI, CoD would have one more star in it's corner(and had they fixed the flat corridors, CoD would've been AWESOME).

I did love playing as Leon. It was fun and I loved his combos. Something about Hector, and even Trevor, felt heavy and clunky.

Offline Mathias Hyperion

• Vampire Hunter
  • Wanderer in time and space
    • The Forgotten Library
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 05:55:12 PM »
Lament.

Leon's combat system is fun to play... and he isn't voiced by Crispin Freeman. Those are two big bonuses in my book.

ZOMG, that was Crispin Freeman?!

Ahem. Sorry. I like Hellsing.
"These are dark times. Times without hope." - Zobek

Tags: