Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406278 times)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Return of the Jedi, Return of the King? Really?

Edit: Return of Samus. Awesome game
I'll give you Jedi and King. Those sound bearable. Return of Samus sounds cheesy, though. Of course, that has nothing to do with the game itself. Some of the movies I listed weren't all that bad, but the use of "return" makes, IMO, the titles cheesy.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Return of the Bride of the Son of the Blood Beast XII. It's just one of those words commonly tacked onto tacky sequels.

I'll admit I'd very much welcome any changing to the atypical "___ of ___" subtitle.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
i'm starting to think of Lords of Shadows as a "Pre-Castlevania" game.  the next one will be a "true" Castlevania game.  the world just wasn't as dark as it got once Dracula took the throne.  i'm totally expecting "everything a Castlevania" game should be in this next one.  full roster of traditional baddies, and lots of traditional Castlevania stages with traditional music here and there.  Dracula is in the house and things are the way he likes them now.

oh, and i'm praying for an adjustable camera.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:07:24 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Maybe more traditional enemies (and the stage settings in the first one were mostly pretty traditional when you think about it), but I'm really not expecting this one to be a hugely radical departure from the first. I'm not expecting, say, the musical style to change at all, nor the platforming.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Wow.  Reading those last few pages of speculation just about made my eyes bleed...  Bloody tears anyone?  I have a feeling the relationship between Dracula and the "Belmonts" may not be resolved until the game's "climactic finish".  If Gabriel and Marie somehow had a child prior to her murder, that would make the LoS narrative even sloppier than it already is.  But if indeed, these new "Belmonts" are the vampire spawn of Dracula --then the traditional Holy Belmont Warriors truly have dirt on their coffin.  IMO the most sensible way MS could fix this is to have the Brotherhood of Light make "Belmont" an honorary title bestowed upon the champions of their holy order, but that isn't sounding likely.  We're going to need some sort of a Dues ex Machina just to get past how LoS's DLC ended --and that doesn't bode very well from a narrative standpoint.  I can't believe we have the reboot behind us, and we still don't know what the Belmont "clan" truly is in this new universe....
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:51:38 PM by cecil-kain »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
i'm starting to think of Lords of Shadows as a "Pre-Castlevania" game.  the next one will be a "true" Castlevania game.  the world just wasn't as dark as it got once Dracula took the throne.  i'm totally expecting "everything a Castlevania" game should be in this next one.  full roster of traditional baddies, and lots of traditional Castlevania stages with traditional music here and there.  Dracula is in the house and things are the way he likes them now.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. As the myth of Dracul/a is set up, the creatures of darkness rise ad more traditional enemies may appear (Slogra/Gaibon, anyone? ;))

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
But if indeed, these new "Belmonts" are the vampire spawn of Dracula --then the traditional Holy Belmont Warriors truly have dirt on their coffin.
New timeline = new rules.
No-one touch Belmonts in the old canon.

Castlevania is not about being Ninja Belmont with a gazillion superpowers and martial-arts acrobatics.
Say this to Richter Belmont in SOTN.
Games should be fun. Walking around slowly whipping enemies is not fun. It worked for CV64, because hardware limitations didn't allow to do better than that at the time. There were no set standard for such things. Nowadays - different times, different hardware - time to explore diffrent possibilites.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
I was talking about the rumor of Simon being Gabriel's son, and Gabriel being Dracula, thus giving the Belmonts a historical, familial reason to be combating Dracula in LoS2. Leon and his Vampire Killer's connection with Matthias/Dracula is along those same lines. (IE: A personal, familial responsibility/vendetta. the Belmont/Dracula feud not being random). I don't think it's all that far from where IGA was painting the origin story in this regard.

Yes, and my flat what was a reaction to that comparison. It's more like Legends than LoI.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
How would that be worse than having Simon play Alucard's role too?

Well, it's indeed not the greatest idea in the world, but I think I'd prefer that over a cliched feud between brothers who must fight each other because they were raised on different sides.

As a result, I think they would also give Alucard a terrible villainous personality (because new timeline, new rules) kind of how Liquid acted towards Snake or something.     
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 01:36:34 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
By saying Simon would be the Son of the Dragon, he may rather be Dracula (Dracul being the Dragon) than Alucard.

It depends on if Gabriel is Dracul or Dracula.

Well, new timeline = new rules. :)

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Wait wait.......metroid II for game boy was Metroid II : Return of Samus.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:39:07 AM by Dark Nemesis »
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Archangel

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
*If* Alucard and Simon really are one and the same person in LoS´ universe... well, here´s what I think how it could turn out:

In the old timeline, the son of Dracula used the alias "Alucard", Dracula backwards, to symbolize how he disagreed with his fathers methods.

So maybe, in the LoS timeline, Gabriels son, whatever he will be called, will choose the name of Belmont while opposing his father. Remember, Belmont was just a name Gabriel chose for himself... so this versions "Alucard" will use his fathers name before he became evil.
But people can’t be ruled by power alone! The sacred, the honorable, the loved…those things can rule humanity. Something evil will eventually FALL TO RUIN!!

- Richter Belmont

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Like I said before, the son of a dragon is still a dragon, just like the son of an ogre is still an ogre.  ;D

I hope "The Dragon Returns" is merely just a title to anticipate the revealing of the game. If the subtitle to the game was "The Dragon Returns", that would be ultra cheesy. I can't think of any title(especially movies) that use "Return" and sound anything BUT cheesy. "Return to the Blue Lagoon", "Batman Returns", "Superman Returns", Halloween 4: Return of Michael Myers", "Return of the Living Dead", "return" is just a hokey word to use in a title of something.

Yea... but, it's not Dracul, it's Dracula.... It's a bit different when you use it as the word meaning dragon/devil and when you use it as a name.

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
But what if LoS is canon actually? Its only 47 years before LoI (1047-1094), plenty of time for:

*Rinaldo (who we never see in LoI so we dont know how old is he) age and went emo-hermit on the forest

*Gabe leave a son before killing Marie and that son is the father of Leon

*Gabe/Dracula body ascends / descends or wathever and his evil spirit/escense "enters" in Mathias body (as he wanted to do with Maxim in HoD and Soma in AoS/DoS)

*Combat Cross made by Rinaldo gets destroyed and then he wants to make the perfect "vampire Killer" weapon (no pun)

Somehow for ME it fits. And all the reimaginig chars and enemies, well we have seen that in all the saga.
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
But what if LoS is canon actually? Its only 47 years before LoI (1047-1094), plenty of time for:
Old Canon and LOS-canon are completely separate things. Thre is no sense in trying to merge them. It doesn't work for many reasons.