Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406113 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #1320 on: November 30, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »
That art a few pages ago was fan art.

Only one official image of him has been released so far.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
It better not have a fixed camera. That was one of the things that limited the level designs in the last game, IMO. But honestly, there was so much else I wanted addressed, it's going to be interesting to see the result. I can't say I'm confident, but the Castlevania fan in me is still curious. The last time I was really a pro Metroidvania guy was during the GBA era, so MS is kind of making a questionable change for me if they're going that route in 3D. I wanted more of a CV64/LoD approach--self-contained/contextual exploration mixed with action-platforming progression. However, I know that's pretty much a pipe dream during this current era. Here's hoping for some tight jumping controls at least. The story, however it twists the original narrative, is DOA for me after what was done in LoS1. Gabe as Drac just didn't ring true to me. Feels kind of "Hollywood-ish." Anyway, it's hard to save a story that was sloppy and sensationalist for the sake of sensationalism. In the end, the best I'm hoping for from it is a morphed retelling of Castlevania 1 (with the change being that it's Belmont vs Drac Belmont). But then, maybe I'm mistaken.

PS: Likes Neobelmont's Terry Bogard reference.

EDIT: Drac art a few pages back looks like a cross between Vamp and Orlando Bloom. Not really feeling that. Also, the SotN line? Maybe that's a teaser for it to be like SotN and boost the morale of that crowd, especially in the media, who bashed LoS1 for not being SotN3D. However, it better not be a sign of the often half-hearted homages/name drops found in LoS1.

Richters back sup  ;D
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Richters back sup  ;D
It was the call of a new trailer and hope that brought me back. Well, tainted hope, beaten to a pulp...but hope nonetheless. Strangely, it would appear that Spike TV and Castlevania go hand in hand these days. I wonder what that says about the series? :P

Anyway, buckle in for the commentary that'll be forthcoming on this thread once we've all seen the trailer.  :D (Personally, I'm sort of waiting for the post-LoS universe of Castlevania, but in the meantime, might as well see what's going on and hopefully the LoS sojourn will have enough positive exposure to keep the franchise going. This game will have to be like 100% better for me to buy the game outright at full price like I did LoS).

Thanks for the welcome back.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
It was the call of a new trailer and hope that brought me back. Well, tainted hope, beaten to a pulp...but hope nonetheless. Strangely, it would appear that Spike TV and Castlevania go hand in hand these days. I wonder what that says about the series? :P

Anyway, buckle in for the commentary that'll be forthcoming on this thread once we've all seen the trailer.  :D (Personally, I'm sort of waiting for the post-LoS universe of Castlevania, but in the meantime, might as well see what's going on and hopefully the LoS sojourn will have enough positive exposure to keep the franchise going. This game will have to be like 100% better for me to buy the game outright at full price like I did LoS).

Thanks for the welcome back.

;D No prob. Personally I hope it gets crazy again, e3 was an awesome time to be a cv-fan and as for next week I hope for it to be even better  :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:24:40 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Gabe as Drac just didn't ring true to me. Feels kind of "Hollywood-ish." Anyway, it's hard to save a story that was sloppy and sensationalist for the sake of sensationalism
After Soma Cruz thing I wouldn't call Belmont=Dracula thing - sensationalism.

If magical schoolboy being Dracula and Japanese priests sealing castle in solar eclipse are not sloppy storytelling, I don't know what it is... 8)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #1325 on: December 01, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »
+1

If magical schoolboy being Dracula and Japanese priests sealing castle in solar eclipse are not sloppy storytelling, I don't know what it is... 8)

what

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
After Soma Cruz thing I wouldn't call Belmont=Dracula thing - sensationalism.

I don't think that as a bare concept is inately bad. I mean, Dracula could be reborn as ANYBODY, and when he was, he would be "christened" into modern society/pop culture. He'd grow up and attend school as a "schoolboy". That's logical. The Japanese thing, just another nod at the multi-cultural aspects of the Castlevania series. Dracula's rule was dominant over the dark entities of ALL different cultures and mythology, so it's only natural that other cultures(outside of Europe) could feel threatened by Dracula's power, especially during the Demon Castle War. And of course, the Japanese have their own rich mysticism. Now I don't think Hakuba(Mina's father) did it alone(it was likely a combined effort of whomever was there, to weaken the Castle/Dracula to the point that it could be sealed away), but I never wrote off the whole mutli-cultural mysticism thing. I think it's actually more interesting than keeping things STRICTLY European.

I find that funny, in a way. The Japanese, for being really culturally proud of their history, when they make stories(anime, games, manga), they have no hesitation in pulling from many different cultural mythologies. The result is the creation of worlds that are almost a sort of ethnic/cultural melange, a mixture of both East and West as one. You rarely see that with Western stories or games. It DOES happen every now and then. Star Wars is pretty much a mixture of multi-cultural ideas. But in general, the stark contrast between an European-type setting and "non-European" is pretty big. Maybe it has a lot to do with Western "logic". You don't see too much highly flamboyant or imaginative fantasy from the West because more "grounded" and realistic fantasy(I always laugh at those two words being used side-by-side" are the more acceptable forms of the genre. The West, the motto seems to be, "That which is feasible is correct!", while Japan's motto seems to be, "Anything imaginable can exist as you say it to be!". :)

Offline Tanatra

• Everything Burns
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
I find that funny, in a way. The Japanese, for being really culturally proud of their history, when they make stories(anime, games, manga), they have no hesitation in pulling from many different cultural mythologies. The result is the creation of worlds that are almost a sort of ethnic/cultural melange,

I think one of the most blatant examples of this is the Gerudo from the Legend of Zelda series (well, OoT, since they only really appeared in that one game.) I mean, their theme is very Latin-inspired, the Gerudo Fortress is quite similar to a Pueblo cliff dwelling, their symbol (before being retconned) was actual Islamic imagery, the women themselves would have been right at home in Medieval Baghdad, and the Spirit Temple looks like something out of Ancient Egypt.

Anywho, back on topic, I find it hilarious that the music in the trailer may have been inspired by a track from SCVIV, yet people still insist on discussing Alucard's reflection.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
There are Gerudo descendants in Four Swords Adventures.  RANDOM GEEK FACT!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
I don't think that as a bare concept is inately bad. I mean, Dracula could be reborn as ANYBODY, and when he was, he would be "christened" into modern society/pop culture. He'd grow up and attend school as a "schoolboy". The Japanese thing, just another nod at the multi-cultural aspects of the Castlevania series.
The concept itself is not bad, though the whole deal with "castle being sealed in solar eclipse" is beyond ridicolous, but whatever. My main gripe is how it was done - in most cliche way possible out of'em all. AOS stopped being rather dark and gloomy Castlevania and was more like generic anime, that somehow was tied with legendary series. Remove Juste Belmont from the picture or call him another name and what's from Castlevania would be there? Not much really, just multiple anime cliches and "metroidvania" gameplay.

As for multicultural aspect of Castlevania - the core of the series was based on mix of eupropean and ancient mythos. There were some references to the Japanese / Asian mythology, I guess, but they never dominated over the whole picture. Or at least they didn't dictated direction of the storyline. AOS lose balance, that was before and ended as strange mess, not exactly Castlevania and not something completely alien, IMO.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
You proooobably mean "Julius" not "Juste".

Yeah the "Use Magic and Cosmic Phenomena to Seal Evil" is a little bit weird.... but not so far-fetched weird since it's Castlevania, which brought us anachronistic clothing, improbable weaponry, time travel, holy chromosones, and monster mashes.  DoS did make it seem 'lighter and softer' than the usual games, though.  And then PoR cranked that up to 11.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
DoS did make it seem 'lighter and softer' than the usual games, though.  And then PoR cranked that up to 11.
Of course, back then they were shifting the target demographic to the NDS' natural demographic...not that it did them any good.
Oh well, at least we got to play a large-scale CV3 homage in one game and smack Richter with cream pies in the other...and stop a train with your bare hands.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
You proooobably mean "Julius" not "Juste".
Ah, yes, sorry.  ;D
My main gripe is not with sealing, but how it (and another AOS / DOS stuff) was suddenly brought in the story.

Nice to see how people accepting another point of view.  ;)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Here's some good news:

I think it's coming. It would be great for completionists.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1334 on: December 03, 2012, 05:04:22 PM »
pfff Konami?

Doing something generous?

In the year of our lord 2012!?

Yeah right.

Double dipping if true.

anything