Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406043 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
I learned that the people saying Dark Souls is Castlevania is the people that think Castlevania is just a visual style, because DS plays nothing like CV, NOTHING. There is not even a jump button I think?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 07:30:14 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
So, was that one trailer all that's coming tonight? I would think they would have wanted to show something more convincing at this stage. Something to at least assure the SotN fans, if nothing else, like transformations and exploration. Maybe they thought some sword fighting would be enough of a shock?

(PS: I've seen the Dark Souls comments on these threads for a while, and even with the Dark Souls II trailer, I don't think it screams Castlevania so much as dungeon-crawling medieval swords 'n' sorcery. It's pretty-looking, and I feel the frustration toward LoS2, but Dark Souls isn't "Castlevania" either).

To me DS is DS CV is CV. And I want both of them  :)
Yet I will say that ds has a very unique story it's hidden but every item has like a meaning that connects everything together I was watching one video on youtube after i beat it and it made me think about the story in a whole new way
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I learned that the people saying Dark Souls is castlevania is the people that think Castlevania is justa  visual style, because DS plays nothing like CV, NOTHING. There is not even a jump button I think?

Yeah there is no jump
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
To those that are saying they don't see similarities of CV in Dark Souls, now you know how other people feel when they say they don't see similarities of CV in LoS (not saying that i'm one of them, but still)

bottom line, to each their own hohoho

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Are you going to argue that not being able to climb stairs makes Lords less Castlevania?

Things stem less from mechanics, and more in the cohesive intent of a product, and that intent is going to be interpreted differently by people.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
To those that are saying they don't see similarities of CV in Dark Souls, now you know how other people feel when they say they don't see similarities of CV in LoS (not saying that i'm one of them, but still)

Comparison doesn't quite work, seeing as Dark Souls is a completely separate series with nothing in common with Castlevania

I mean, at the very least LoS has a chain whip and a Belmont.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Are you going to argue that not being able to climb stairs makes Lords less Castlevania?

Things stem less from mechanics, and more in the cohesive intent of a product.

No, Lords isn't Castlevania because you can't drop through the stairs.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
Dark Souls not as much Demon's Souls yes. I recall playing Demon's Souls for the first time and I was in the Tower of Latria and I kept telling my sister how much this felt like what I thought a 3D CV should be.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards

Things stem less from mechanics, and more in the cohesive intent of a product, and that intent is going to be interpreted differently by people.
There were stairs, were they not??

Edit: Yep, right before Carmilla :P

I see your point but still... I dunno Castlevania has always meant action platfformer for me, destroy the platformer thing and it becomes something else entirely.
Also, CV has never had that type of methodical action.

I can understand, however, how it could evoke the "feeling" of the old Castlevanias (Gothic atosphere punishing difficuly sense of  desolation and brooding evil) but that's another beast entirely.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
i meant the player being a stiff brick when climbing the stairs

I see your point but still... I dunno Castlevania has always meant action platfformer for me, destroy the platformer thing and it becomes something else entirely.
Also, CV has never had that type of methodical action.
idk about that, i mean the whole point of the original castlevanias was that you were a tank with input lag and forced jump trajectories so you had to plan things.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 07:40:21 PM by thernz »

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
My stair comment was a joke.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
I'm a joke.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Are we getting as many reactions here as previously for LoS2 and LoS1? Seems like less people are commenting on the whole.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
i meant the player being a stiff brick when climbing the stairs
idk about that, i mean the whole point of the original castlevanias was that you were a tank with input lag and forced jump trajectories so you had to plan things.
Ok I'll give you that.  :)

Are we getting as many reactions here as previously for LoS2 and LoS1? Seems like less people are commenting on the whole.
Not much to say that we didn't know. Nice graphics!

My stair comment was a joke.

anything