Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406122 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
I thought the same. It didn't look very much like Medusa.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Dominus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I always thought they should have introduced Medusa's sisters at some point, so that's really neat. Too bad Medusa doesn't really look like Medusa, though.

I thought the same. It didn't look very much like Medusa.

On the other hand, is not like Medusa in Castlevania has ever looked she was supposed to

IMO, It's closer to the myth so I like it.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I think peoples confusion comes from that it looks more like a leviathan creature than the average Medusa we're use too. Personally I thought it looks more like a giant gorgon than Medusa herself.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
On the other hand, is not like Medusa in Castlevania has ever looked she was supposed to

IMO, It's closer to the myth so I like it.
Modern interpretation of Medusa(Castlevania, Clashe of the Titans, Kid Icarus, Percy Jackson...) seems to be inspired by Bernini's Medusa(believed to be sculpted sometime in the 1600s, Bernini, as well as other artists basing their depiction on the Roman depiction of Medusa, which looked less monster and more human):

Interestingly enough, given it's bust look and it being believed to be created in the 17th century, doesn't it bare an odd resemblence to the Medusa boss in the first CV game(which starts off as a stone bust that comes to life; the first CV being set in the late 17th century)?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:52:08 AM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
GOD BLESS PC, who needs consoles? resolution higher than 1080 and 60 fps

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 09:06:11 AM by Bergaron »
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Well, there also the fact that the creature who supposedly is Medusa isn't humanoid. From what I know, Gorgons have always resembled humans in myth. It's also why they are such scary creatures.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Medusa transformed perhaps? The script from the behind the scenes footage insist's that the three sisters were in humanoid forms before transforming into monsters.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Modern interpretation of Medusa(Castlevania, Clashe of the Titans, Kid Icarus, Percy Jackson...) seems to be inspired by Bernini's Medusa(believed to be sculpted sometime in the 1600s, Bernini, as well as other artists basing their depiction on the Roman depiction of Medusa, which looked less monster and more human):

Interestingly enough, given it's bust look and it being believed to be created in the 17th century, doesn't it bare an odd resemblence to the Medusa boss in the first CV game(which starts off as a stone bust that comes to life; the first CV being set in the late 17th century)?
LoI did the bust thing too
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
LoI is also the only other time in the CV series that you fight Medusa as a giant head rather than the full "snake woman" that you fight her in CV3, RoB, Chronicles, Bloodlines, SCV4, SotN, Haunted Castle, Legends, Legacy of Darkness and Portrait of Ruin. Most definitely a nod to CV1.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
I think the reason Medusa is a head in CV1 is because the Japanese manual mentions Christopher beheaded her, which is also a reference to the myth.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Anyone else saw that Gabriel has the dark gauntlet on his right hand while fighting the fire-breathing beast? (When he launches the big "tornado" attck).

EDIT: Actually, I think it is a part of his sleeve, so nvm.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:41:45 AM by Chernabogue »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
It's been such a long time since I played LoI, I remember being visually impressed by the amount of detail they gave Medusa in that game

on a side note, my rep points dropped significantly over the past 24 hours! This morning it was 399, now it's 372! No worries, cuz I can just ask Jorge who's the butthurt culprit that has a grudge against me & downvoting posts I made 10 pages ago since he can see who's doing it due to his Administrative powers  ;) So I advise you stop, before Jorge reveals your identity to me.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Yeah I noticed that too so I bumped you back to 400.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
It's been such a long time since I played LoI, I remember being visually impressed by the amount of detail they gave Medusa in that game

on a side note, my rep points dropped significantly over the past 24 hours! This morning it was 399, now it's 372! No worries, cuz I can just ask Jorge who's the butthurt culprit that has a grudge against me & downvoting posts I made 10 pages ago since he can see who's doing it due to his Administrative powers  ;) So I advise you stop, before Jorge reveals your identity to me.
Not that I care about reps, but it kinda annoys me when people dish out dislikes for the purpose of being childish. Save that stuff for petty middle school popularity contests and YouTube(though it annoys me even there). That being said, you're +401 now.  ;)

And on topic, I also thought LoI's medusa looked cool. Probably one of the best looking bosses in both LoI and CoD.

Anyone else saw that Gabriel has the dark gauntlet on his right hand while fighting the fire-breathing beast? (When he launches the big "tornado" attck).

EDIT: Actually, I think it is a part of his sleeve, so nvm.
I was kinda confused when I saw that. It first looks like an giant energy tornado, but also kinda made of flesh.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
You actually care about the rep number?  :-\