Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406229 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
That's right, that's right... Didn't he say you could turn it off? Neat.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Also what I did like is that it actually LOOKS like your hitting the enemy. All of the attacks have some impact, the enemies stagger after each hit and the game seems to have proper hit detection this time around which is A ok in my book. Oh and the framerate seems to hold up nicely (to me at least).

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I like the blood effect when Gabe dodges.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
or 3D open world in general, which really HASN'T been done before in CV.

Looks like somebody forgot Curse of Darkness. ;)

Despite its bad reception the game did happen, and it did provide a "open world" of sorts, granted not one with a lot of depth or platforming for that matter.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
I think when he says open world has never been done, I THINK he means more long the lines of Arkham City style open world. He might be referring to that. or 3D open world in general, which really HASN'T been done before in CV.

Curse of Darkness? Is it not open world? You can go anywhere at any time if you have the abilities to get there. Maybe I'm not understanding the meaning of "open world". I've always called the metroidvanias open world(well, open castle, mostly).
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Oh and I noticed that the void and chaos magic meters seem to regenerate.

Or maybe it's for demo purposes.

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
Curse of Darkness? Is it not open world? You can go anywhere at any time if you have the abilities to get there. Maybe I'm not understanding the meaning of "open world". I've always called the metroidvanias open world(well, open castle, mostly).

Thats what I'm saying.

You can freely traverse the ruins or the castle or head to the mountains or even the forest.

There's even a small town you can make it to.

And your still able to freely go back and explore the previous areas at your leisure.

I don't know, from what I hear from Cox LOS2 is going to have a similar type of freedom although I assume it will have much more depth and platforming than Curse of Darkness did.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
So let me tell you all about my wild INCEPTION-like dream concerning Lords of Shadow 2.. (warning: LONG semi-descriptive post ahead)

I can't remember exactly how it all started, but I was playing a demo of the game. I assume, story-wise, it began not too long after the events of Resurrection but before MoF. I mean, it must have been before MoF and before he claims the castle, and I'll explain why later. I was controlling Gabriel/Dracula in a gray-colored, damaged environment. I was fighting several demons using nothing but bare-hand combat. Dracula looked fierce, I recall just his idle stance was VERY menacing & just looked so badass. The rain just made the mood and environment all the better (I guess, now that I think about it, it kinda mirrored the first stage of LoS1, but obviously way better). After a few minor battles there was a boss or mini-boss, a lion-like creature. I was just controlling Dracula with extreme melee combat, no weapons or magic. There was also several obstacles I had to overcome while battling/escaping this lion-demon. After a while I was at this puzzle-like corridor. The graphics were REALLY nice, almost impressive. It was like perfect 1080p resolution, it was so vivid. I really wish I could paint a better picture of what I was seeing. Anyway this puzzle corridor was confusing at first, but was simple once I figured out how to get through it. I remember it involved mirrors somehow, and some climbing. I had to do some back-tracking and double takes to figure out what was going on. If you're well-versed in action & puzzle games then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Now, before any of you punch me in the face, I will say this; Yes, there WAS shimmying, BUT it wasn't bad or annoying or out-of-place. I can tell because the constant shimmying in the first LoS really annoyed the fuck out of me. But here it was different, and somehow made sense! I recall it was a large wall structure with a clock-like design on it. I had to shimmy my way up there, but there was sliding panels so it wasn't as easy as it seemed. As I got closer to the top the camera would pan out to reveal this giant clock-looking structure. Oddly enough I don't remember falling or starting over at this part, it just took some patience & careful timing. But it wasn't long at all. At the top I encountered the lion-demon-mini-boss again, and engaged it in quick combat. I don't recall ANY QTE's, though there could've been and I just can't remember those intervals. Now that I think about it this creature could've just been the Daemon Lord seen in MoF, it had a similar design. After this part, I was suddenly at this portal-like part. This was the end of the demo, because for some odd reason, once I reached this part the game gave me the option to CHOOSE which "type" of Dracula to play the rest of the game as: the "melee combat" version, the "Draconis" version (yes, I remember it was distinctly titled Draconis, and it was Dracula with magic-like abilities as opposed to melee combat), and the third and final option was an amalgam of the first two. It was obvious to me that just about everybody was gonna choose the third "type," so I was wondering why they split it up like that. So this is the reason why I believe it took place before MoF, cuz I couldn't conjure any weapons or use magic or teleportation, yet Dracula had these abilities in MoF. After that, the demo faded to black and simply said "Coming Soon 2013."

it seems that certain parts of what I dreamt that night were somewhat-correct  :o

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)

You can freely traverse the ruins or the castle or head to the mountains or even the forest.

There's even a small town you can make it to.

And your still able to freely go back and explore the previous areas at your leisure.

I don't know, from what I hear from Cox LOS2 is going to have a similar type of freedom although I assume it will have much more depth and platforming than Curse of Darkness did.
Who knows? Maybe the city won't be barren like the Cordova was. Maybe there's actually people there, some that actually HELP you(a "Pro-Drac" faction of sympathizers).

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Calling it now. Shaft reference somewhere.

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
Who knows? Maybe the city won't be barren like the Cordova was. Maybe there's actually people there, some that actually HELP you(a "Pro-Drac" faction of sympathizers).

what do interactive people have to do with a "open world" castlevania game?

Sure it adds more realism, but the point I am making here is that Cox and Flame said there was not really a open world CV game that has been done before.

I'm saying what would you call Curse of Darkness?

Your able to travel a open world that ranges from castles, forests,towns,mountains, churches and so on, and you can travel them all on foot at your leisure.

Is that not a open world?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:09:43 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
Also what I did like is that it actually LOOKS like your hitting the enemy. All of the attacks have some impact, the enemies stagger after each hit and the game seems to have proper hit detection this time around which is A ok in my book. Oh and the framerate seems to hold up nicely (to me at least).

Yes solid fps ... so do not risk even if you're buying, Swoop on PC, more quality and cheaper (with option to mods) what more could you ask for.
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Press button to borrow Frostmourn from Arthas
Quick time event to drain blood?

"Awesome!!!"

Yeah.. This will be a bargain bin game really soon after release.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
why does the word "void" remind me of final fantasy?

Anyway, I would've preferred classic platforming compared to what was shown in the demo, and I would've preferred if they'd done away with the QTE entirely. Also, is it just me, or does the guy playing the demo not seem to be that good at the combat segments?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
The worst part was, for DAMN SURE, was the QTE on the shitty "platforming". HOLY FUCKING CRAP, I was cringing looking at this.

The graphics are amazing.