Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406218 times)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
EDIT: The music that plays on the Combat Mechanics Video... wow. Is that... Dracula's Theme remix?
Could you link us, please?

EDIT: Nvm, found;

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
EDIT: The music that plays on the Combat Mechanics Video... wow. Is that... Dracula's Theme remix?
I dunno... I'm not hearin' it...

Unless you mean his theme from MoF
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Dracula's Theme as in Dance of illusions os as in Mirror of Fate? (It was a nice theme)

Everything comes full circle

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
That's not the same. You don't play whole sections hanging off a ledge with no enemies in sight. It shouldn't be any more than it is in the Flintstones or Metroid Zero Mission. At least in Contra III when they force you to climb on walls and wires and shit they're still sending things to try to kill you. Not this pussified separation of combat and ledgeforming.

But all the games you mentioned are 2D games. Platforming in 3D is STILL a difficult thing even without enemies advancing at you because of camera issues. They did it largely the same way in the 64 games, the Devil May Cry games, and God Of War. Comparing platforming in 2d vs 3d is an apples to oranges type of thing. And with games like Contra and Metroid, you have ranged weapons that give you the possibility of being able to fend off these attacks before the enemies get too close. Castlevania 4 allowed you to use subweapons while hooked on to rings, but LoS doesn't allow that, which leaves you completely defenseless while clinging to a ledge (which, imo is as it should be.)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
But all the games you mentioned are 2D games. Platforming in 3D is STILL a difficult thing even without enemies advancing at you because of camera issues. They did it largely the same way in the 64 games, the Devil May Cry games, and God Of War. Comparing platforming in 2d vs 3d is an apples to oranges type of thing. And with games like Contra and Metroid, you have ranged weapons that give you the possibility of being able to fend off these attacks before the enemies get too close. Castlevania 4 allowed you to use subweapons while hooked on to rings, but LoS doesn't allow that, which leaves you completely defenseless while clinging to a ledge (which, imo is as it should be.)

You're being nominated for an award, whether you like it or not  >:(

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards

Well... it really isn't it. It's a bit eletronic, though.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I have listed at least 6 games that does 3D platforming right. Real 3D platforming, as in skill based, where you start from the beginning if you fuck up, where need to go up again if you fall. There are LOTS of ways to do 3D platforming besides the shit we see here in LoS and other modern games.

It IS possible to do combat while doing this modern climbing... God of War does this since the first game. And considering in LoS you have aerial combat, the game could have real platforming if they actually tried a different approach. But they choose to not have platforming on it (in LoS 1).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:46:56 AM by Maedhros »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)

Well... it really isn't it. It's a bit eletronic, though.
It's similar, it actually has the same progressions BUT it ain't DoI. Bummer, that's the best CV tune.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Ok skipping the throne room battle and watching from then on, a few things come to mind:

1. It seems that it IS possible to clear that jump at the beginning, im sure there's a technique that lets you clear bigger gaps that you'll get later on. (And thank god that there isn't an invisible wall blocking the path forcing you to do all the shimmying over again, that would have been infuriating.)

2. The respawn system works exactly how I predicted it a few pages back. (I have a feeling a few people won't like how it works)

3. The titan climb actually seems tense with the golden paladin shooting at you and the shimmying (love it or hate it) looks faster this time. Oh and not a single "HOLD RT TO HOLD ON" prompt was seen.  :)

4. Dracula's method of taking down the titan by throwing up blood on the core was the oddest thing I've seen a vampire do and I've seen vampires do odd things.

5. GAHHHH I HATE IT WHEN THEY END A DEMO LIKE THAT!!  >:(

All in all I like what I saw, the only thing that bugged me was obviously the QTE's (especially when the titan was slamming him against the castle) but's that's to be expected. I cannot wait to see more, hopefully the next time we see it (knowing Konami it's gonna be a long time from now) we'll see more of the open world exploration.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
Now the titans are like "levels" part of the map.
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
The QTE's themselves seem to have been made easier to get right, what with the details on the two circles. In LoS1 they were kind of awkward being just 2 plain thin circles. The "HOLD RT TO HANG ON" seems to have been replaced with a quick time prompt, speeding it up considerably, and I like what they did with the titans.

Throwing up blood onto the crystal powering the titan was odd, yet at the same time, totally cool. Like, his unholy bile just fucks with whatever holy power makes the thing work.

The what is a man line really could have been better placed. The Golden paladin's "DIE MONSTER" works well though.

I like it.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
In reply to the above discussion: If we're talking about genuine, consequential platforming w/ action in 3D, I would site Capcom's Maximo series or the full 3D Bionic Commando from a while back (which consequently also made full, total-control 3D gap-swinging for the first time). Though, camera issues aside, the N64 CV games showed the meat-and-potatoes of real 3D platforming, to say nothing of Mario 64.

EDIT: Really, we're seeing nothing of that sort from LoS2, despite its improvements so far. I think it goes back to the emphasis on combo-combat, which makes the character animation less versatile in tight, free-flowing platforming scenarios.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:25:29 PM by RichterB »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
That vampire bile thing was stupid, imo. Nothing to not get the game over though. Just a weird wtf, and move on sort of thing.

I hated the shimmying, but the idea of having someone shoot at you... probably is a good thing, to add a bit more of a tense atmosphere, don't know if I'd like it til I actually try it, I guess.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
At least that rumor about Dracula being a fake impersonation created by the Toy Maker isn't true. The demo says Dracula returns after Simon and Alucard defeated him in MoF.

If Julius doesn't show up, maybe Richter will be the one trailing him for the whole game.