Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406124 times)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Mutltiple Difficulty settings?

That hardly compares to new and interesting costumes.

Uh... I dunno about this. I mean, sure, the LoS games aren't that interesting on multiple difficulty levels because hardly anything is done with them outside of cranking up enemy damage output, and every once in a great while an enemy will have a new attack.

But when done right, more difficulty levels can be goddamn amazing. Bayonetta is a great example, as harder difficulties nearly make it into a completely different game. Enemies are much faster, more aggressive, come in *GASP* different waves, and you have to learn how to dodge and counterattack or die, basically. And this isn't taking into account the Infinity Climax mode, where one ability that saves your ass routinely is taken away, again making you rethink your priorities.

Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia sort of got this right. They still suffer (PoR mostly) from enemies being ridiculous damage sponges, but it was a good step in games that mostly lack for interesting level design. I still think Lament of Innocence did this best with the Crazy mode, as the absence of level-ups meant you could do things in your own order and speed, but the challenge was always there.

The harder modes in the first two LoS games are totally lackluster by comparison. I really hope they rectify this, or some lovely gent rearranges enemies with a PC mod or something.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
alternate costumes do not make replay value imo. they are fun, but not necessary to add replay. games like older castlevanias or megaman have replay because they are just good games. its a combination of elements really. and I feel if they play it right, the open world aspect could very well prove to add lots of replay.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
alternate costumes do not make replay value imo. they are fun, but not necessary to add replay. games like older castlevanias or megaman have replay because they are just good games. its a combination of elements really. and I feel if they play it right, the open world aspect could very well prove to add lots of replay.

Do not trust in the "open world",  will be a Tomb Raider 2013 style "open world" not like Skyrim. To me that is not exactly an "open world". Dave Cox said, here will be some open world exploration but more importantly will remain combat.
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Uh... I dunno about this. I mean, sure, the LoS games aren't that interesting on multiple difficulty levels because hardly anything is done with them outside of cranking up enemy damage output, and every once in a great while an enemy will have a new attack.

But when done right, more difficulty levels can be goddamn amazing. Bayonetta is a great example, as harder difficulties nearly make it into a completely different game. Enemies are much faster, more aggressive, come in *GASP* different waves, and you have to learn how to dodge and counterattack or die, basically. And this isn't taking into account the Infinity Climax mode, where one ability that saves your ass routinely is taken away, again making you rethink your priorities.

Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia sort of got this right. They still suffer (PoR mostly) from enemies being ridiculous damage sponges, but it was a good step in games that mostly lack for interesting level design. I still think Lament of Innocence did this best with the Crazy mode, as the absence of level-ups meant you could do things in your own order and speed, but the challenge was always there.

The harder modes in the first two LoS games are totally lackluster by comparison. I really hope they rectify this, or some lovely gent rearranges enemies with a PC mod or something.

It all depends on how these features are executed. For me new costumes that are merely skins and difficulty settings that raise damage output are both super boring and pointless. Especially for someone like me that hasn't got countless hours to spend playing the same adventure over and over.

The best example of how to do difficulty settings right is going to be in the new Super Mario Bros. Crossover 3.0. They actually change the structure of the stages! Easy has less pits, easier jumps, more platforms. Normal is, well, normal. Hard has more pits, harder jumps, less power ups. That there makes me want to play the different difficulty modes. I know something like that would be harder in a big 3D game, but I'm sure they could think of something similar.

And alternate costumes are great if they give you some different abilities, but having completely different characters to play as is even better! Again, SMBC get's it down pat with a ton of characters AND skins that sometimes slightly, sometimes drastically alter a character's base game play.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:04:48 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Do not trust in the "open world",  will be a Tomb Raider 2013 style "open world" not like Skyrim. To me that is not exactly an "open world". Dave Cox said, here will be some open world exploration but more importantly will remain combat.
I think he never said open world, dunno, but non-linear. Like Tomb Raider. I hope it's like Dark Souls, where you can explore in any order you want.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
In the interview, Dave Cox cox said that the game will take place 60% in the castle and 40% in the city. Expect LoI/CoD for Castle exploration and Arkham series for the city when it comes down to exploration. I would prefer this as a "non-linear" rather than "open world". Open world to me means huge outdoor lands and day and night cycles like Skyrim, Fallout series and the new MGS5. The game taking place in one night wouldn't really consist of huge exploration even regardless of day and night/weather cycles. Under realistic assumption, expect the game to be big, but not "vast".

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
In an E3 video he said it would take place mostly in the city... Typical Cox.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
I wonder if everyone in the city will still be midgets like every person who wasn't Gabriel in LoS.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
In an E3 video he said it would take place mostly in the city... Typical Cox.
I didn't heard the term "mostly"... link pls?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
The game taking place in one night wouldn't really consist of huge exploration even regardless of day and night/weather cycles.

well don't most Castlevania games take place in 1 night anyway..

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I didn't heard the term "mostly"... link pls?

I watched way too many E3 videos to be able to tell you. Sorry. I know I watched the GameTrailers feed if that helps. But I saw many other individual interviews for tons of games as well.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
That one scene from the trailer where that skull faced monster thing, (who kind of looks like those white wraith things from Darksiders)catches his sword and tosses him, I dunno, but that looks like it might be in the modern setting. Something about the background.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
well don't most Castlevania games take place in 1 night anyway..

I think OoE took place over days, but that's the exception along with Simon's Quest, uguu

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
We get a few secons of what the modern city looks like in the E3 trailer, it looks like Dracula's castle but with skyscrapers. So it looks like the city itself IS the castle.

anything