Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406551 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
I played LoS and I think the label "Button masher" fits rather nicely.
Then you most likely DIDN'T play LoS...

Or don't know what a Button masher is.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
You certainly couldn't mindlessly mash buttons in Lords, but there wasn't much strategy involved either.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
With a few exceptions of dodging and using magic, it was pretty much pressing attack buttons rapidly to win every battle.
I guess that makes it a button masher of sorts.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I played LoS and I think the label "Button masher" fits rather nicely.

Something like dynasty warriors or gundam dw is a button masher even gods eater burst but los deserves much better than to be called a button masher while MoF on the other hand ehh....

I agree. It fits more in MoF because you don't have 3 dimensions to move around, it's pushing and pushing buttons over and over, which was what in the end ruined an experience that would have been otherwise enjoyable, given the magnificent backgrounds this game displays.

Mof fits the bill better.

One of the things I love about los is how combo crazy one can get don't believe me well I like to use this video for reference it ranks right up with an other combo video I like not presentation wise but the combos.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow Combo Video "Workshed"

Best Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, God of War Combo Part 1 (this video rocks my socks so much I have to wash them)

(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Check

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)

I've been working on a Lords of Shadow Combo Video for the last 6 months.  It will be in 60fps and span through the start of the game, all the way to the end, in order.  About 100 combos, with cinematic and the beautiful LOS soundtrack.

I tweeted Cox a preview of it a few months ago, and he retweeted it.  He has been supporting the project from its conception. 

I was trying to join this site for a long time but couldn't, because someone on here a while posted my original LOS Demo Combo Video, and i wanted to say thanks.  A little upset my video wasn't included on the post above, but that's ok... Thanks to the person (if its the same poster as above), that linked my Demo combo video in one of these threads with much praise.  Was a long time ago, but thank you.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
You certainly couldn't mindlessly mash buttons in Lords, but there wasn't much strategy involved either.
I think Dark Souls had more strategy in it's gameplay than LoS did.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards

I've been working on a Lords of Shadow Combo Video for the last 6 months.  It will be in 60fps and span through the start of the game, all the way to the end, in order.  About 100 combos, with cinematic and the beautiful LOS soundtrack.

I tweeted Cox a preview of it a few months ago, and he retweeted it.  He has been supporting the project from its conception. 

I was trying to join this site for a long time but couldn't, because someone on here a while posted my original LOS Demo Combo Video, and i wanted to say thanks.  A little upset my video wasn't included on the post above, but that's ok... Thanks to the person (if its the same poster as above), that linked my Demo combo video in one of these threads with much praise.  Was a long time ago, but thank you.

Yes I remember now

Agree with you on the graphics department, but to me combat in los was not tedious. Let me explain it without going into to much detail. Overall it reminds me of a fighting game in which I can pull off a bunch of crazy combos; so yeah at first the combat was a little something... I do not want to say slow or tedious, yet to me combat only got better as time went on for instance these two videos show just how quick the enemies can be killed off

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Combo Video Tribute

Castlevania Lords of Shadow Combo Video "Workshed"

I may not be the best at combos(always trying to learn new things) but experimentation pays off not too mention the weaknesses that enemies had, alongside the perfect block thing, and orb sucking the combat just seems non-tedious to me, but some enemies do get me at points like the big werewolfs and skeletons  :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:39:57 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I think Dark Souls had more strategy in it's gameplay than LoS did.
And it was infinitely harder.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
The combat was one of Lords of Shadow's more definite plus points, I thought.

I don’t put a whole lot of stock in the unlockable moves and combo stuff (mostly that's just filler), but it’s Combat Focus system was great.  Don’t get hit to fill the gauges seems simple stuff, but boy you rely on filling those gauges.  Also, block-timing to get more orbs was sweet.  Just like the best of the best in DMC4 and filling the Exceed gauge quicker.   I found Lords' light and shadow gauges quirky and tricky to get into the swing off to begin with, but by the end I thought they worked really well, and it did mean making genuine decisions on whether to regain energy or increase attack power.

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards

Did you play the game through on the hardest difficulty?  I found it quite an entertaining challenge, and found it demanded a high degree of strategy in terms of handling those gauges and keeping Gabe alive.  Perhaps not DMC4 or Bayonetta tier in terms of depth, but demanding nonetheless.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:02:01 AM by The Silverlord »

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
That's a valid point, but pretty much every game is very challenging on the hardest difficulty.
For example, that is the thing I like the most about Order of Eclessia.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
I think most of the challenge comes the game trying to wear out the player with damage sponge enemies rather because of attack patterns. I guess there is nothing inherently wrong with that, but I hope the series moves past that system after the Lords series is done because it can be rather tedious. I also suspect it's done in order to pad out the game.

Honestly, I've been thinking lately Castlevania should maybe drop down combo based combat entirely and only have an attack or block function or something like that. I feel 3D Castlevania games should focus less on combat and more on environmental hazards. Not that combat shouldn't been challenging, but there are other ways to do that besides giving the enemies gazillion hit points.  :P

Regarding playing Lords of Shadow on Paladin mode, I noticed it's actually very easy. I used these three steps to finish every level without much trouble:

1.) When in the Land of the Lycans, use fairies to stun the more annoying enemies. Mash the attack button to win. Likewise, in the Land of the Vampires, it's the same thing, except you use Holy Water.           
2.) When in trouble and out of Fairies/Holy Water, use the Dark Crystal.
3.) When in trouble and out of Dark Crystals, use Ultimate Light magic.

Personally, I think it's just a matter of knowing when to do what technique in order to immediately turn the fight in your favor. 

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards

3D Castlevania should focus on platforming. The N64 games were perfect examples of a fun and challenging experience with great atmosphere and a Castlevania feel.
Not that combat should be absent, but Castlevania can do perfectly weel without combos and QTE's.

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Personally, I think it's just a matter of knowing when to do what technique in order to immediately turn the fight in your favor. 

And that's strategy; there are choices, decisions to make. I'm not as good as you, I struggled my way through and it got really tight in places where energy was low. ;)

But I'd also rather see more focus on platforming, or enemies in the mix while platforming.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I completely agree with you, Nagumo.

3D Castlevania should focus on platforming. The N64 games were perfect examples of a fun and challenging experience with great atmosphere and a Castlevania feel.
Not that combat should be absent, but Castlevania can do perfectly weel without combos and QTE's.
AGREED.
Behold my power and tremble