Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406218 times)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
In my opinion, Castlevania's combat should keep combos (maybe not as hardcore as in LoS). I really find the "one-time attack" completely stupid (either in classic or metroidvania games): hell, Belmonts and other characters are trained warriors and should not battle enemies with just one attack. Combos like in CoD/LoI were very nice, but could have been a bit better.

Just my two cents.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Man those QTEs are a serious learning curve..
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
In my opinion, Castlevania's combat should keep combos (maybe not as hardcore as in LoS). I really find the "one-time attack" completely stupid (either in classic or metroidvania games): hell, Belmonts and other characters are trained warriors and should not battle enemies with just one attack. Combos like in CoD/LoI were very nice, but could have been a bit better.

Just my two cents.
Combos should remain, I agree, but there should be more uses to combo attacks. Instead of just wailing with attacks, incorporate other moves, perhaps to use in conjunction with obsticles and environments. Why can't you combo in a foot sweep to catch an enemy off guard? Why can't you ensnare an enemy and flail them around to knock other enemies down? Why isn't there a quick swat attack where if you are in a narrow bridge over a pit, you can slap them off for a quick kill? They should come up with a load of different attacks, and maybe incorporate subweapons into them. Snare an enemy, reel them in and break an holy water flask on their heads. 

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I actually liked the combos and whip combat better in LOI.

It actually felt like I was giving the enemies a whip beating as opposed to LOS where felt like I was slashing at nothing.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
The hits definitely felt solid in loI. but the whip combat felt a little stiff.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
One of the things I liked the less in LoS combar was the fact that you press your attack buttons and it seems that you are hitting everything on the screen, from one side to the other extreme, with no need to aim or nothing.
I liked when you missed a lot of attacks with Carrie on CV64, you needed to calculate everything (and not only that, you needed to measure and think your platforming too, because one little mistake and it was starting over the stage).
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Death pits should return or at least punish you in way that you would think twice before making a mistake and you fall in.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
One of the things I liked the less in LoS combar was the fact that you press your attack buttons and it seems that you are hitting everything on the screen, from one side to the other extreme, with no need to aim or nothing.
Now you are criticizing the main gameplay aspects (foundations) of a game so just accept it wasn't for you.
I liked when you missed a lot of attacks with Carrie on CV64, you needed to calculate everything (and not only that, you needed to measure and think your platforming too, because one little mistake and it was starting over the stage).
And that made 64 be revilled for years after.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I didn't mind restarting from my last save.
However, the fact that my whip and subweapon upgrades were gone irritated me so much, argh. :P
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards

I have one question Pfil have you ever played a game call maximo for the ps2 I believe there were only two game so it does not matter but regardless back to what I was thinking. As for missing targets and such I honestly think it's because of that darn target system replace it with the z-targeting system in zelda and bam what an improvement it would be.

I think most of the challenge comes the game trying to wear out the player with damage sponge enemies rather because of attack patterns. I guess there is nothing inherently wrong with that, but I hope the series moves past that system after the Lords series is done because it can be rather tedious. I also suspect it's done in order to pad out the game.

Honestly, I've been thinking lately Castlevania should maybe drop down combo based combat entirely and only have an attack or block function or something like that. I feel 3D Castlevania games should focus less on combat and more on environmental hazards. Not that combat shouldn't been challenging, but there are other ways to do that besides giving the enemies gazillion hit points.  :P

Regarding playing Lords of Shadow on Paladin mode, I noticed it's actually very easy. I used these three steps to finish every level without much trouble:

1.) When in the Land of the Lycans, use fairies to stun the more annoying enemies. Mash the attack button to win. Likewise, in the Land of the Vampires, it's the same thing, except you use Holy Water.           
2.) When in trouble and out of Fairies/Holy Water, use the Dark Crystal.
3.) When in trouble and out of Dark Crystals, use Ultimate Light magic.

Personally, I think it's just a matter of knowing when to do what technique in order to immediately turn the fight in your favor. 

Combos should still be kept in cv and as for damage sponges I see it yet I don't there is just way too much at ones disposal for them to be considered sponges. When I played los I really mastered the synchronized blocking and gave a beating to them followed by sub-weapon harassment.

For example while it's more or less namco's answer to monster hunter if I go by the standard of damage sponges then the aragami in gods eater burst(this is only toward the damage sponge aspect) take forever to kill compared to the monsters in los. The enemies in Los are nothing.... Nothing , and I put 20 hours into gods eater burst even with starting to understand the crafting system and such all enemies take abit of damage that's way too much for my taste it and from what I played they take from 5 to 19 minutes depending on which aragami you want to destroy provided they are alone. (Yes destroying aragami could become quicker but seeing as los is 20 or so hours and I put 20 hours into geb I feel that it's a fair  enough comparison for damage sponges)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Now you are criticizing the main gameplay aspects (foundations) of a game so just accept it wasn't for you. And that made 64 be revilled for years after.
It is clear by now that the game wasn't for me, and I never said otherwise.
I know a lot of people dislike CV64, but it's one of my favourites.

I have one question Pfil have you ever played a game call maximo for the ps2 I believe there were only two game so it does not matter but regardless back to what I was thinking. As for missing targets and such I honestly think it's because of that darn target system replace it with the z-targeting system in zelda and bam what an improvement it would be.
I did not. I bought and tried both games for a while like 5 years ago, but never got to them again, just beat a couple of stages. They were on my list of games to play for a while, but I always ended up choosing something else.
Thanks for the recommendation, anyway. I'm more for the serious kind of knights games (like Skyrim). However, I loved Ghosts and Goblins, Ghouls and Ghosts, Super Ghouls and Ghosts, but as I said in another thread, everything's prettier with sprites  :)
The Maximo games looked more like Medievil than GnG to me. And I did play both Medievil games  :P, but that was in the PSX days when I got so much less options to choose from.
Today, both Maximo games are on my PS2 games shelve, in the archive.
Maybe I will give them a chance one of these days now that you reminded me of them  :)
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
It is clear by now that the game wasn't for me, and I never said otherwise.
I know a lot of people dislike CV64, but it's one of my favourites.
I did not. I bought and tried both games for a while like 5 years ago, but never got to them again, just beat a couple of stages. They were on my list of games to play for a while, but I always ended up choosing something else.
Thanks for the recommendation, anyway. I'm more for the serious kind of knights games (like Skyrim). However, I loved Ghosts and Goblins, Ghouls and Ghosts, Super Ghouls and Ghosts, but as I said in another thread, everything's prettier with sprites  :)
The Maximo games looked more like Medievil than GnG to me. And I did play both Medievil games  :P, but that was in the PSX days when I got so much less options to choose from.
Today, both Maximo games are on my PS2 games shelve, in the archive.
Maybe I will give them a chance one of these days now that you reminded me of them  :)

CV 64 is very ehh to me I only got as far as the sewers with Carrie and past the forest of slience hile LoD I beat it with all four characters so good job if you can stomach the vanilla version.

As for Maximo I stopped playing the game because I was not able to find a save spot. I believe I have the first one I have to look at it again.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Nowadays you can easily emulate it and save states (if you don't want to cheat, just save every time you beat a stage, so if you lose you start at the beginning).

About CV64, I've beaten several times every mode of both games on every difficulty. I must be a little crazy to do that  :P
But don't forget I'm the only person in the whole world that dared to play Knights of the Temple II like 10 times, and that's one of the buggiest games I've ever seen  :P

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
But don't forget I'm the only person in the whole world that dared to play Knights of the Temple II like 10 times, and that's one of the buggiest games I've ever seen

Wanna see what a real buggy game looks like? Try playing Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship for Game Boy Advance.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Haha! But I love KotT 2 because the aesthetic is one of my favourites!
Sirmium, the Damned Roman City is one of the most appealing stages I've seen (to my personal taste).

anything