Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406321 times)

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)

Honestly no I am not against it because the media on castlevania has tendency that when mercury steam said its going to have more exploration elements such as in Mirror of Fate or Lord of Shadow 2 people are saying its going to be 3D symphony of night which it isn't and I think that is why Cox and co have to clarify it. I doubt there will be backtracking but I do think there will be optional exploration which I am fine about :D. I love the story to be straightforward and for the exploration to be its own separate thing.

But thats the thing, just because it has exploration akin to SOTN does NOT make it a 3.D SOTN by any means.

There are many other things SOTN of the night had that LOS obviously is not such as leveling up, equipable weapons,armors,cloaks etc just to name a few.

So even if it had borrowed exploration aspects from the metrodvania that would not have essentially made it a 3.D metroidvania since there are other things in a metroidvania that makes it such.

I'm willing to be that most of the people who said it would be a 3.D SOTN if it had that kind of exploration where the same who disliked or even grew tired of it and simply don't want to see any metroidvania aspects in this game.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
DarkPrinceAlucard: I think you are right people are assuming a lot or other people have expectations that are unwarranted of them being a 3D SOTN. Cox and company want to differentiate of the games that came before yet try to incorporate some elements. I think in a interview about Mirror of Fate that he acknowledge it borrow elements from the Metroidvania games. Personally I didn't like the extensive backtracking aspect of Metroidvania games although other people did so I would happier if the exploration is rendered separate from main story line game. That is just me though.

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/12/david-cox-los2.aspx
I think this article gives a indication which open world he means for Lord of Shadows 2. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:01:13 AM by Trevorcard »

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Didn't Cox once say that LoS2 was gonna be built like Darksiders or Arkham City? He may say stuff that isn't always true, but if it's anything like those games, we're looking at something that is rather "open" in structure. They can't give us a linear action game with a couple of alternate paths now. (Except they totally can and we can't do anything about it. But I still have faith!)

Yea I do recall Cox and co so saying something like that, but with him you never know.

But judging by the recent interviews I have read I can't help but doubt we will see the kind of exploration akin to Darksiders or the Arkham games.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Hopefully more like Darksiders and Arkham Asylum. I hated Arkham City's exploration lots of open space with nothing in them was detrimental to the experience.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Hopefully more like Darksiders and Arkham Asylum. I hated Arkham City's exploration lots of open space with nothing in them was detrimental to the experience.

I expect it to be like in Arkham City then (even if I dont want it), since we've already experienced a lot of empty places in MoF (I've played the demo).
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
Arkham City worked because you were friggin BATMAN. And they made him feel like Batman too. Sure, Dracula should be able to fly around and do lots of awesome stuff on rooftops, but that would feel really off in a Castlevania game. Whatever a "Castlevania game" is these days. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd rather not have LoS2 feel like a sandbox superhero game. So yeah, I'd much rather have a smaller game world with great level design than a huuuuge empty sandbox.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
He says on the article "Like Zelda: Ocarina of Time".

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
He says on the article "Like Zelda: Ocarina of Time".

I can totally live with that! I've always wanted to see a Castlevania world done in that style. I mean, technically, Simon's Quest IS that game, only in 2D. Ecclesia could've been that game too (albeit once again in 2D) if the world had been interconnected. Oh, and Curse of Darkness had all the potential in the world to be exacty that game, had the level design been less... corridory.

Though I would've preferred if the game took place within the old timeline with some of the locations from the classic games (Dracula's Curse, Simon's Quest and so on.). It's just gonna be a city and a castle this time. Which is fine and all, but I prefer forests and graveyards and mansions and swamps and.. and.. and... yeah, that kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:55:42 PM by shelverton. »

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I can totally live with that! I've always wanted to see a Castlevania world done in that style. I mean, technically, Simon's Quest IS that game, only in 2D. Ecclesia could've been that game too (albeit once again in 2D) if the world had been interconnected. Oh, and Curse of Darkness had all the potential in the world to be exacty that game, had the level design been less... corridory.

Though I would've preferred if the game took place within the old timeline with some of the locations from the classic games (Dracula's Curse, Simon's Quest and so on.). It's just gonna be a city and a castle this time. Which is fine and all, but I prefer forests and graveyards and mansions and swamps and.. and.. and... yeah, that kind of stuff.
Maybe we'll see that stuff inside the Castle... it's not like we haven't seen a lot of variety inside of Castlevania before...

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
40% will be for a unlockable char/mode or DLC?

ZIIIING!

I'm expecting the game's structure to be that of MoF - Mostly linear stages with a few elements of backtracking in that you can walk between them. Maybe with a few more things thrown to the side for you to find (hopefully more interesting than a scroll or Stat-Max-Up item).

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
OMG! They are really selling it, but the price.....  :'(
The price of it is 890000 yen now. This can be used also as a gorgeous chair!
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline Dracul_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:25:55 AM by OSM »

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Its on Dave Cox Twitter he also hinted that there will be additional stuff. I hope he isn't lying -_-.

Offline Dracul_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
In lords of shadow facebook page there are more hd pictures, I cannot access them because I don't have a fb account, but sure looks amazing. MoF HD is coming to ps3 and xbox in october 31