Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406248 times)

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)
« Reply #3720 on: September 18, 2013, 10:29:28 AM »
It changes the pace. GoW2 did it better than LoS, though. In LoS the puzzles don't really feel like they should exist, only some blend with the stage theme actually (like the eletric labs one, one of the best puzzles on the game and that makes sense). I don't mind the ones that unlock doors too, they aren't really intrusive. The ones like the Pan one or the chess... I could live without easily.

I like puzzles when they're well done and I thought for thr most part they were in LoS. There weren't really any that I thought weren't enjoyable and it can be a nice way to break things up a bit.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)
« Reply #3721 on: September 18, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »
I like puzzles when they're well done and I thought for thr most part they were in LoS. There weren't really any that I thought weren't enjoyable and it can be a nice way to break things up a bit.
Good for you.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3722 on: September 18, 2013, 07:45:24 PM »
I think they add nothing to an action/adventure game other than wasting time. And even when I think about it, puzzles in general(in fantasy games) are kinda stupid. Say you have castle in ancient times. Why would the king have this backbreaking puzzle just to open certain gates or such. Imagine you are put in the shoes of a guard, or even the king. You had too much wine and now you gotta take a leak, but to get to the royal washroom, you have to exit through the sun gate by charging the sun stone at the eastern window, and to get the sun stone, you must solve an intricate puzzle. I know it's all fantasy, but there's really NO logic behind puzzles in fantasy games. Castles and temples would more likely have death traps than puzzles. Hell, for CV, I'd prefer JUST traps. It's not like, to enter the king's chamber, you need to collect the 7 scattered pieces of the queen's gem amulet, place them on a pedistal in order of the colored jewel on each piece corresponding to the place they are on the rainbow(bottom to top on the spectrum) just to open that door. It's simply ludicrious.

Or, LOL, the ones that get me pissed the most. You got three levers(or buttons), and each one has some effect on the other two, so you have to push them in order to get through the puzzle, almost resulting in all the buttons being turned on together, or switches lining up. I could just see the puzzle setter thinking this shit up and explaining it to the high priest or king:

Puzzlemaster: Yeah, see this awesome puzzle. You need to push all these buttons in, and then the door opens! But, the trick is, once you push one in, it pushes another out. You need to do it in a certain order!

King: I think you got too much time on your hands!

;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:50:39 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #3723 on: September 18, 2013, 08:10:36 PM »
You know that these buttons are a archaic type of password right? We do it all the times in banks and internet xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3724 on: September 18, 2013, 09:51:48 PM »
You know that these buttons are a archaic type of password right? We do it all the times in banks and internet xD
Yeah, but I don't have to search for the tomb of King Arthur and place his crown upon his head to receive one part of the password, defeat three statue guardians to recieve the other part, then align four totems to four constellations to make a key pad appear and type it in before a big boulder smashes me.

And like I said, when it's in RPGs, I don't mind it(for the most part), as the pacing in RPGs(both JRPGs and WRPGs) allow you to take it easy. I also don't mind fetch-questions in RPGs(I know a lot of people hate them). But, for action games, where pacing is faster(considerably), I just don't like them. They ruin the mood for me. If I wanted to play a puzzle game, I would. 

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3725 on: September 18, 2013, 10:16:33 PM »
Say you have castle in ancient times. Why would the king have this backbreaking puzzle just to open certain gates or such.

You mean you wouldn't?

It's an effective form of security! Why bother breaking into the castle with the platforming puzzle with spikes and pendulum blades, when the one next door just has a boring ol' gate and scalable wall?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #3726 on: September 19, 2013, 07:23:22 AM »
Actually, I really liked Reverie's puzzles. And that was part of LoS.
The in-game puzzles were OK, too (like the one where you have to push statues).
And, as much as MoF lacked many things in gameplay, I have to say the puzzles were pretty good.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3727 on: September 19, 2013, 08:15:06 AM »
So where dat new info :V

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #3728 on: September 19, 2013, 08:23:25 AM »
So where dat new info :V

Later tonight.

Probably.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3729 on: September 19, 2013, 08:52:15 AM »
I hope we'll get a new trailer, like the big one we got for LoS1 during the TGS.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3730 on: September 19, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »
You folks seen this? Pretty nice interview with Carlyle and Cox. it's cool to get Carlyle's own insights into the character he's playing.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/09/16/giving-the-dark-lord-voice-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-roundtable.aspx
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3731 on: September 19, 2013, 12:32:45 PM »
You folks seen this? Pretty nice interview with Carlyle and Cox. it's cool to get Carlyle's own insights into the character he's playing.
Interesting. It's nice to know we have a voice actor who's manifestly involved with character he's bringing to life.
I would wish, however, for Cox to give a better image of the game he's making. But from what I've read, I don't think he'll go very far:
In Lords of Shadow 2 we wanted more emotion. [...] There’s much more emotion in this game than there was in the previous one for sure.
Well, that's always good to know...?
I’m just thinking of and example right now, on the 3DS game, when Gabriel kills his own son. That scene, I remember, Robert was actually in the studio crying. And we all sat there like, ‘F***.’ It was so emotional. Even now, I’m getting goose bumps. When we deliver our game, we want to give that emotion to the players. When players play the game [we hope] they’re like, ‘I wasn’t expecting that,’ and, ‘I’m really feeling that.’
By the time I'd gathered the courage to get to that scene, my senses had been so dulled by the game that I had become utterly unable to feel. But it's not as if this ending could have inspired anything at all. Well, maybe laughter... yes, that's probably what I was doing. Laughing. But I wasn't happy. I had just realized that the worst VG conclusion I'd seen in years had come from a Castlevania game. I fell asleep, utterly depressed.
And as for "not expecting that"...

Actually, I really liked Reverie's puzzles. And that was part of LoS.
The in-game puzzles were OK, too (like the one where you have to push statues).
And, as much as MoF lacked many things in gameplay, I have to say the puzzles were pretty good.
I actually agree; the MoF puzzles were surprisingly good.
The LoS puzzles ranged from surprisingly interesting (music box) to tragically stupid (light-shadow markers). While LoS has a few truly decent puzzles in it, it should have been more aware of the difference between "puzzle" and "forced trial and error". And some of those puzzles were utterly mindless -- a classic example of a poorly-chosen filler.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3732 on: September 19, 2013, 03:52:43 PM »
Dang, I expected whatever it was news wise we're supposed to get to be up by now.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #3733 on: September 19, 2013, 04:53:50 PM »
I’m just thinking of and example right now, on the 3DS game, when Gabriel kills his own son. That scene, I remember, Robert was actually in the studio crying. And we all sat there like, ‘F***.’ It was so emotional. Even now, I’m getting goose bumps. When we deliver our game, we want to give that emotion to the players. When players play the game [we hope] they’re like, ‘I wasn’t expecting that,’ and, ‘I’m really feeling that.’

So he wants us to cry while playing this game and we to be like "I wasn't expecting that". They already did it since LoS1 with me for the wrong reasons.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3734 on: September 19, 2013, 06:09:14 PM »
By the time I'd gathered the courage to get to that scene, my senses had been so dulled by the game that I had become utterly unable to feel. But it's not as if this ending could have inspired anything at all. Well, maybe laughter... yes, that's probably what I was doing. Laughing. But I wasn't happy. I had just realized that the worst VG conclusion I'd seen in years had come from a Castlevania game. I fell asleep, utterly depressed.
And as for "not expecting that"...
Really? I really liked Trevor's ending. I felt like it was really well presented. I felt the emotion. I mean, i didn't cry or anything, but it was IMO, well acted, and for all the shortcomings of MoF's cutscenes, I thought that one in particular did well enough.

anything