Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406249 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)
« Reply #3765 on: September 22, 2013, 01:21:17 PM »
All this talk of retro-platforming shooters going FPS just makes me think of Maverick Hunter.

Unreleased Mega Man FPS Game: The Complete Demo [Maverick Hunter] [All Known Footage]

Honestly, I think that might have been pretty cool.

Yeah. I thought that had potential. it was being worked on by some Retro Employees who worked on metroid prime.

people get all scared when they hear "FPS", generally because generic war simulator FPS call of patriots of honorduty 15 gives it a bad name.

but there are tons of great FPS games, like Portal, Half Life, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, and of course, Metroid Prime. Metroid went from 2D to 3D first person, and it's considered "Super Metroid in 3D", and one of the best games in the franchise.

Maverick Hunter also took the best bits of plot from the former games and incorporated a bit of Zero series too. it was X and Zero, fighting Mavericks as usual, it was going to be a 3 part series, where in the third, you would play as Zero, taking down a power mad X, a-la Zero 1.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)
« Reply #3766 on: September 22, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »
I can't say I feel optimistic about a future Coxtra (it's an interesting name, though  :D). I couldn't help but feeling slightly worried after hearing his interview...
If someone were to do Contra, to say hypothetically, it would be like a new IP in many ways. We are hardcore gamers, we played those games, but there are a lot of people that don’t know what Contra is. They have no idea. There is a massive audience out there, they play Call of Duty and love those games, but they don’t know what Contra is. I think if we were going to reintroduce something to that audience. It has to be new, unique, it’s got to stand out. It’s got to have a new idea, something really cool about it that’s never been done before.
*Ahem* ... ... Haven't we heard that somewhere before?
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #3767 on: September 22, 2013, 01:30:08 PM »
+1
How about you all calm the F down and wait until some actual details are revealed before you start the bitch fest.

Have you seen this?

[Xbox360] BOMBERMAN Act:Zero -OP&Gameplay-

*Ahem* ... ... Haven't we heard that somewhere before?

If we follow the "script" it will be something like that:

-Cox reboot Contra and names it Contra: Probotector Wars
-Then it says "Probotector isnt Contra"
-In the end its revealed that Bill Rizer is turned in this robot, so he could fight these aliens, its a cliffhanger to a game that shows how it happened.
-A random ally ship that appears for 10 minutes before being destroyed will be named Gradius, no, it doesnt resemble anything the original ship.
-Cox says "You want me to leave? Then buy my games!"
-Cox says in a interview that he would like to work in a Gradius title that appeal to Ace Combat audience.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:43:39 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #3768 on: September 22, 2013, 01:38:19 PM »
Have you seen this?

[Xbox360] BOMBERMAN Act:Zero -OP&Gameplay-
What... what on earth is that? I never knew it even existed...

-In the end its revealed that Bill Rizer is turned in this robot, so he could fight these aliens, its a cliffhanger to a game that shows how it happened.
-A random ally ship that appears for 10 minutes before being destroyed will be named Gradius, no, it doesnt resemble anything the original ship.
-Cox says in a interview that he would like to work in a Gradius title that appeal to Ace Combat audience.
That would be... unfortunate. Let's hope it doesn't happen.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:56:02 PM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3769 on: September 22, 2013, 01:44:28 PM »
edited my last post, I expect these things to doesnt happen or it will be a hell :(
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #3770 on: September 22, 2013, 01:47:52 PM »
+1

I laughed so hard at this  ;D
OMG the horror...

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3771 on: September 22, 2013, 02:13:59 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3772 on: September 22, 2013, 03:28:47 PM »
Man I really don't want to see Contra become Call of Duty. That would crush whatever little faith I have left in this ever changing for apparently the worst industry.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #3773 on: September 22, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
Thing is, I don't even think Call of Duty will be as big as it is now next gen. The industry have already put their money on Titanfall to be the next big thing next gen and that game is basically Call of Duty with mechs and jetpacks.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #3774 on: September 22, 2013, 03:47:58 PM »
Thing is, I don't even think Call of Duty will be as big as it is now next gen. The industry have already put their money on Titanfall to be the next big thing next gen and that game is basically Call of Duty with mechs and jetpacks.

Yeah, at some point everything must go. I don't think CoD is in any real danger anytime soon, but the only type of games that will keep going strong regardless of trends and timing, are the EA Sports titles. Those are timeless and relevant to soooo many people (even non-gamers) that they'll outlive us all. Too bad I don't care about them at all...

I know people who buy consoles ONLY to play Madden, FIFA and NHL.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:50:12 PM by shelverton. »

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3775 on: September 22, 2013, 05:43:23 PM »
On the Contrary, Contra could use a less obscure Story such as Lance becoming a Tranny in Rebirth...

Contra is a Bullet-hell platformer, if Cox can transition this to 3D, you have gold

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3776 on: September 22, 2013, 06:03:59 PM »
+1
Yeah. I thought that had potential. it was being worked on by some Retro Employees who worked on metroid prime.

people get all scared when they hear "FPS", generally because generic war simulator FPS call of patriots of honorduty 15 gives it a bad name.

but there are tons of great FPS games, like Portal, Half Life, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, and of course, Metroid Prime. Metroid went from 2D to 3D first person, and it's considered "Super Metroid in 3D", and one of the best games in the franchise.

Maverick Hunter also took the best bits of plot from the former games and incorporated a bit of Zero series too. it was X and Zero, fighting Mavericks as usual, it was going to be a 3 part series, where in the third, you would play as Zero, taking down a power mad X, a-la Zero 1.

Metroid Prime is, IMO, the one of the best examples of the FPS genre being used as something other than a "Kill everything" SIM. I mean, I get that CoD-style shooters have grown to almost engulf the entire FPS market, but that's not ALL you can get from an FPS.

I don't, however, understand why a Contra game with Cox at the head automatically has to undergo a genre shift. For all we know it could end up looking like Shadow Complex.

Metric asston of assumptions going on right now.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3777 on: September 22, 2013, 06:36:03 PM »

They already dumbed down Ace Combat to appeal to the CoD crowd with Assault Horizon, and it was as mediocre as you could expect.

I don't think Call of Duty is taken seriously anymore. Activision's policy of saturating the video game market with identical sequels (such as them single-handedly killing off the rhythm subgenre of gaming with endless Rock Band sequels) means that the next Call of Duty certainly has far less hype than the leviathan that was Modern Warfare 2. The upcoming sequel is still being mocked for touting fish moving out of your way as some ground-breaking feature, as well as motion-capturing a dog.

It's kind of weird since I remember playing the first one on PC back in '03, when the series was just a way for the developers behind Medal of Honor: Allied Assault to perfect their vision for the ideal WWII game. Now it's this gold standard for brown n' bloom genericness that still manages to be popular.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:39:14 PM by beingthehero »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3778 on: September 22, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »
They already dumbed down Ace Combat to appeal to the CoD crowd with Assault Horizon, and it was as mediocre as you could expect.

Shit! I've only played Ace Combat 2 for PSX and some for PS2. 2 is awesome, but I've disliked these from PS2 IDK why.

Call of Duty certainly has far less hype than the leviathan that was Modern Warfare 2. The upcoming sequel is still being mocked for touting fish moving out of your way as some ground-breaking feature, as well as motion-capturing a dog.

We laughed here too, I've even said that it would be cool if we could play as the dog, like in Medal of Honor 1. xD

On the Contrary, Contra could use a less obscure Story such as Lance becoming a Tranny in Rebirth...

Robotic tranny :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #3779 on: September 23, 2013, 07:27:06 AM »
+1
Oh my god.. Please please PLEASE don't touch my precious Gradius.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

anything