Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406050 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #4005 on: October 15, 2013, 10:34:53 AM »
+3
The only ones that really absolutely adore LoS are people that don't have the best tastes in action games, or just haven't played any of the many better ones out there.

I put in hundreds of hours into Ninja Gaiden Black, Ninja Gaiden 2, Devil May Cry 1,3 and 4, Bayonetta and is currently kicking ass in The Wonderful 101 and I liked Lords of Shadow and Lords of Shadow 2 is one of my most anticipated games of 2014.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Nah it wasn't that divisive, it's the usual anti los defense force that is very vocal, like tomb raider haters. It's not a DmC case where fans were really offended by heart, most of us did just fine.

And your evidence to support your thesis, professor?  :P

From personal observation on sites NeoGAF and Gamefaqs, I noticed a lot of polarizing comments on the game. For example, Portrait of Ruin got quite a bit of flack here if I remember correctly, but not really anywhere else. This is definitely not the case with Lords of Shadow.   

Also, let's not argue over wheter or not liking Lords of Shadow is a sign of good taste.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:48:58 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Julius Belmont?

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
That's one of the fan-submitted posters...isn't it?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
My main concern for LOS2 is it's release date. I think there will be a lot of new PS4 and XBOX ONE owners who won't want to buy a game made for the old gen consoles. I think a lot of gamers will be wanting to spend their money on games for their new consoles. If anything, I think this will affect the sales of LOS2.

Still, I'm predicting it will do as well as it's predecessor, if not a little better.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Julius Belmont?
lol so much for the surprise
That's one of the fan-submitted posters...isn't it?
Nope that one is official
And your evidence to support your thesis, professor?  :P
Well we did not launch a petition :P

Everything comes full circle

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Welp, cat's out of the bag. I believe Cox claimed that he won't be using the name Julius before, didn't he?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
So that's not fan made?

Welp, someone made a oopsie.

Well since the secret is out, I'll go ahead and make the call, Julius was Victor's father and was killed during.....whatever the hell happened while Dracula was sleeping.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:16:39 PM by Kingshango »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
So that's not fan made?

Welp, someone made a oopsie.

Well since the secret is out, I'll go ahead and make the call, Julius was Victor's father and was killed during.....whatever the hell happened while Dracula was sleeping.
I still don't think Victor is modern day Belmont.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
I still don't think Victor is modern day Belmont.

I dunno, the tattoo's on him look pretty modern.

Plus he does say that he's the last Belmont left. But then again I've been wrong about this type of stuff before so who knows what Shalamaladingdong twist Mercurysteam has up their sleeves.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Isn't that Gabriel on the left?

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
Yeah, I don't see it selling over a million copies (PS3/360 combined) like the last game. I predict 500 000 copies total. Like you said, not everyone who bought the first game will buy this, and those who didn't get LoS1 will probably not jump in for the sequel. Well, some will, but I don't see many people doing that. This is, after all, not GTA or Assassin's Creed. Sequels generally don't perform as well as the first game.
Not quite. We're talking about a very different situation here.
MercurySteam had done well in establishing itself with its new Castlevania 'reboot'. Within the space of a single game, Lords of Shadow had managed to propel Castlevania into the major market spotlights, and had even taken off to a decent amount of critical acclaim. So, naturally, the series is now at the peak of its media hype, with gaming institutions and modern fans alike crowing in anticipation for the sequel. MS would be out of its mind not to take advantage of a situation like this one.
To top it off, ever since Cox announced the end of his involvement, LoS2 started to appear less as a generic, derivative sequel and more as MS's definitive take on Castlevania. In more ways than one, it's acting as a finale, and it's been generally received as such.
From what I've seen, Lords of Shadow isn't showing any signs of decline. I expect to see even higher sales for the sequel.

On top of that, one might wonder if releasing Mirror of Fate on consoles is such a great idea. Modern gamers, unfamiliar with the LoS saga might try it and decide that LoS is not for them (even if they would potentially like LoS2 much better. They would write the series off as a rough-looking 2D platformer and not give LoS2 a chance.)
You'd think even the most oblivious of "modern gamers" would have the sense to read about MercurySteam's newest 3D hack n' slash title before dismissing its 2D, handheld spin-off. Regardless, porting Mirror of Fate to consoles isn't a very wise choice, judging from its lackluster reception and its poor sales.

I am personally more interested in LoS2 than either of the previous two games, but I don't see it sell a lot. I don't see reviews being great either. Possibly in the 6.5-7.5 range at best.
I'm seeing something in the 8+ range, with 9+ reviews if it's pulled off right. It definitely has that potential.

My main concern for LOS2 is it's release date. I think there will be a lot of new PS4 and XBOX ONE owners who won't want to buy a game made for the old gen consoles. I think a lot of gamers will be wanting to spend their money on games for their new consoles. If anything, I think this will affect the sales of LOS2.

Still, I'm predicting it will do as well as it's predecessor, if not a little better.
By the time LoS2 is released, most gamers will still be using their old consoles. If anything, it's a smarter choice to keep it on current-gen. And it won't be the only franchise to have done so.

But Julius? I thought we already had Victor?
I'll have nightmares about what strange "plot twist" Cox will be trying out next... If he does to Julius what he did to Trevor, I think I'll collapse.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:56:51 PM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
What are talking about intersection? Its coming out after both new consoles which are both sold out of reseverves. A ton of people are going to be getting the new consoles, or saving up for one of them. Theres no way this isn't going to effect a game coming out on the old consoles at least a little bit.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
What are talking about intersection? Its coming out after both new consoles which are both sold out of reseverves. A ton of people are going to be getting the new consoles, or saving up for one of them. Theres no way this isn't going to effect a game coming out on the old consoles at least a little bit.
Not all the people is interested in the new consoles... Like me.... there are no games of my interest on the new generation yet... all the games i hoping for are coming to ps3 too. Metal Gear Solid V, Guilty Grear Xrd, Assassins Creed IV, Watch Dogs and of course my Beloved Street Fighter will get and update next year... There are plenty of reasons for some people to stay in this generation a bit longer... Even more is there will be Castlevania on it...

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Isn't that Gabriel on the left?

Man, forget Gabriel. What's Cyclops doing in Castlevania? Or did I miss some new character reveal?