Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406029 times)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
The option to remove QTEs made this a far better game than LoS almost instantly.

Thank. God.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #4096 on: October 27, 2013, 08:45:52 PM »
Im sure some people will still complain simply for the fact that QTE's are even in the game in the first place, whether you can turn them off or not. At least we're actually given a choice this time around, more dev's should consider doing this.

Anyway Halloween is coming and if that's not the best time for new LOS2 media, I dunno what is.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 08:47:55 PM by Kingshango »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
I'm expecting new stuff Thursday.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
The option to remove QTEs made this a far better game than LoS almost instantly.

Thank. God.
^ THIS!! Never liked QTE because they are mandatory in most games. This at least caters to both QTE fans and non-QTE fans, which is a wise movie. More games should do this!

Offline kadosho

• Hunter in Training
    • D-toid -Gaming for Robots
    • Awards
I get the feeling there will be plenty of surprises this time around. I wonder, just how much Dracula's Quest will change the outcome of the bloodline in this new legacy.  ;D *amped up!

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
QTE fans? They simply don't exist.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
LoS QTEs were great though. MGS Peacewalker in the other hand...

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
QTE fans? They simply don't exist.
Not entirely true. Some games work extremely well with them. QTE's are very effective to force quick player decisions; and when used correctly, they can prove very useful in enhancing or varying gameplay. For example, I was a huge fan of them when I played Heavy Rain not too long ago.
Of course, when they aren't used correctly, they can become so utterly, nerve-rackingly frustrating...

Lords of Shadow's QTE's were already difficult to swallow (though they could admittedly have been worse). For that matter, though, it was Mirror of Fate that finally offered us the epitome of poorly implemented QTE's.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Not entirely true. Some games work extremely well with them.
Shenmue

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
There's simply no game where QTE enhances the experience guys. No game at all. It's just there to make the player don't think that they're just watching a movie.

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
LOL i just noticed i was blocked by cox on Twitter coz of this:

Ale Gerbes ‏@Asgardwolf 15 Oct
@CastlevaniaLOS  This art is official. Julius Belmont? Can you explain us please? pic.twitter.com/CsNsfBvYWI

Ale Gerbes ‏@Asgardwolf 16 Oct
@CastlevaniaLOS Thank you for aswering my question about this offical art with Julius name on it... pic.twitter.com/3c2HSXDlxB

Such an az$...

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
LOL. I believe Nagumo also got blocked because she pointed out a certain thing back then, so maybe she can welcome you to her club of people who got blocked by Cox because he is a jerk. :P
Seriously though, that's a dick move. Well, at least this sort of confirms that a Julius is in, so speculate away. :T
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Nagumo also got blocked 

(´;ω;`)

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
There's simply no game where QTE enhances the experience guys. No game at all. It's just there to make the player don't think that they're just watching a movie.
I'm sorry, but that simply isn't true. There are a few games out there that handle them exceedingly well -- but we've been so boggled down by poorly-designed mainstream titles that we've forgotten what they can be used for.

Quick-time events, when used correctly, are actually supposed to give you a sense of choice and urgency; poorly-implemented QTE's only give you the illusion of it. Games that require you to think about what you're doing, where mashing a QTE may not always be best option; games where a QTE doesn't come alone, where you're given several options, and where you're forced to make a true decision; games where there is no "right" or "wrong" choice; games, even, where a single QTE can affect the entire course of a narrative. That's when they work best; and that's when they enhance gameplay more than any other gimmick out there.

But too often we've seen just what you've described: QTE's designed to fool the player into thinking he's "playing" a cutscene; QTE's where you pertinently know that missing a cue will invariably hurt your character; QTE's implemented as filler, from lack of any better ideas. We see these far too often. QTE's are supposed to be thought-provoking; and yet most of what we've seen today do the exact opposite.

Here's the way I see it: instead of being used as last-ditch cutscene "enhancers", QTE's should always be integrated into a game's core mechanic. Yet another reason why they have no place in most combat-oriented games.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:54:03 PM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
Shenmue did QTE's well.

I honestly don't understand what the issue is with QTE's. I've never minded them in anything. I think some people around here make way too big a deal out of them.
The worst monsters are human.

anything