Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406115 times)

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Lords of Shadow is pretty much a Hollywood director's take on the saga. LoS is the game of the movie.

I've never watch a Harry Potter film.

Rob Carlyle is a good Dracula, yes, but I feel this guy did it way better

21. Curse of Darkness- Dracula

It depends what you want a a standard badass classical version of Dracula or a interesting version of Dracula. I prefer Robert Caryle but I will say this I think his acting didn't reach greatness in this series until he became Dracula. I think Gabriel Belmont his acting was just good.

By the way good to see you back :D

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
This cosplay.. man.. MAAAN

I'm.. speechless.

Now I want a movie. Someone hire this woman.

HOLY SH*T...

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Yeah that cosplay is insane. :o

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Well look who came crawling back? :)

You... I remember you. You were one of the Vampire Killers that sealed me.

... you've aged.

What are your takes on LOS2 so far since your last appearance?

I've played the demo, and from the looks of it, LoS2 is going to be a fucking amazing experience. For one, I absolutely adore Dracula's Theme. It's perfect and sets the mood for the entire game. No complaints in the graphics department, obviously. Dracula controls how he should be; swift and responsive, switching between abilities is super easy and I can't wait to see what else he'll have. MS really stepped up their game and I believe many people here that were turned off by LoS1 would be happy with LoS2. I just don't see any glaring flaws that'll make me say "this isn't Castlevania." The epic intro with Dracula battling & climbing that wooden titan structure just screams God of War (to clarify, the presentation of it), whether you look at that as a bad thing is up to you. I think it's awesome.

I recall Cox saying a while back that they have a segment that was inspired by the "3D rotating parallax" effect seen in that castle stage in Super Castlevania IV (if anybody's beaten the game, you'll know what I'm talking about). Looking forward to that. As for my theories about that plot? They're not that dissimilar from everyone elses, except for a few things: I believe the dream/flashback stuff that Dracula sees involving Carmilla and chibi Trevor is all just a ruse devised by the Toy Maker, for whatever reason. I also believe the Toy Maker might turn out to be Rinaldo; now I know in LoS1 it's hinted that he's disguised as an old beggar living in a swamp, but from what I gathered from MoF, I don't believe that. MoF says the Toy Maker was Gandolfi's apprentice, and was able to create a replica of the Combat Cross. But he was then "cursed" into what he is today. But they also say that it's possible he can be "un-cursed." For some reason I'm thinking that he's gonna turn out to be Gandolfi himself. I dunno why.

As for the ending, Cox said that they've created a finale that no one will expect. Therefor, the cookie-cutter "Dracula repents, reverts to his Gabriel-self, defeats Satan and goes to Heaven" ending is just too predictable and I agree that's the most logical way it could end, HOWEVER I've thought about something completely different, but possible. What if, at the climax, in order for Dracula to defeat Satan and free himself from immortality (I don't believe Zobek will do it, despite what he "promises"), he uses the old time machine in his castle to travel back before the events of LoS1 and causes a time-rift of sorts, destroying all that has transpired in the LoS universe thus allowing for the canon timeline, Lament of Innocence events to take place instead? Pretty bizarre, I know, but it will indeed be a "shocking" ending like Cox promised. Just thought I'd throw that possibility out there.

I'm just a bit confused on the timeline of events, perhaps one of you can clarify for me. At the end of MoF, the castle is clearly destroyed upon Dracula's "defeat" at the hands of Simon & Alucard. How then, is it still fully in-tact by the beginning of LoS2? Does it in fact take place several decades after MoF (Alucard is there, so it happens after MoF's events)?

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I think that's about right, as Castlevania itself is a creature of darkness. I think that remains true even here, the Castle simply reconstructed itself.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Considering that it's supposedly a seamless world, where you can travel between castle and modern city, well, also keep in mind, the castle crumbled after Gabriel defeated Carmilla as well. Or partially. If the idea that you fight Alucard at the end of the "demo" is true, as the very first teaser for LoS2 implied, then I figure it works the same way it used to. Castle rises when Dracula does.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Considering that it's supposedly a seamless world, where you can travel between castle and modern city, well, also keep in mind, the castle crumbled after Gabriel defeated Carmilla as well. Or partially. If the idea that you fight Alucard at the end of the "demo" is true, as the very first teaser for LoS2 implied, then I figure it works the same way it used to. Castle rises when Dracula does.
I still don't believe it's REALLY seamless...

Do you know how they handled the DLC chapter were you go collect the three souls/orbs of the founders? When you pass from one area to another, we get a bit of loading (it's pretty fast though). I think we'll be getting many of these in this game too.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I recall them mentioning seamless. they might be taking a note from arkham city.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
Rob Carlyle is a good Dracula, yes, but I feel this guy did it way better

21. Curse of Darkness- Dracula
Indeed. I love the look on his face when he shouts: "Humans are not worthy of the air they breathe!" -- you simply can't do better than that for a classic CV Dracula.

And for that matter, Curse of Darkness easily stands toe-to-toe with Lords of Shadow in narrative terms. Although LoS2 might just change that. I'll have to wait and see.

I still don't believe it's REALLY seamless...

Do you know how they handled the DLC chapter were you go collect the three souls/orbs of the founders? When you pass from one area to another, we get a bit of loading (it's pretty fast though). I think we'll be getting many of these in this game too.
Does that really matter? I don't really mind loading times -- not as long as they preserve that sense of cohesion we're looking for. LoI and CoD had them aplenty, but still managed to present their branching pathways as a single, unified world.

In the end, the only thing I'm actually worried about for LoS2 is its musical score. If the end product sounds at all like what we've heard in the orchestral suite, then I'm afraid that its score will turn out just as dull as its predecessor. Don't get me wrong: Araujo's compositions are very decent; but in the end, they just make for the above-average, generic gaming fare.
The more I listen to the music of previous CV titles (especially the PS2 tracks), the more I'm convinced of this.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Maybe spoilers, just a detail from a trailer.

----

One detail intrigued me. Look at 3:55 in the Gamescon trailer (or the E3 2013 trailer), just after the fight between Dracula and that scientist demon thing.

Dracula goes through a portal, he wears his "old Dracula" outfit, but seems to be younger (pitch-black hair, muscles, etc.). Also, he seems to be in the "Satan's office", we saw the artwork some time ago. Anyone else noticed it?

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
Man... I don't think Curse of Darkness is even in the same league as Lords of Shadow.

LOS has Patrick Stewart...

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
^
Voice that was great for some chapters. I wish I could make him shut up after some time playing.

Carlyle narrating was much better.

He was great as Zobek though.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:49:42 AM by Maedhros »

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Totally agree. Robert Caryle acting was way better in later half of the game and DLC Chapters. But I think he was expressing Gabriel Belmont true self a violent man who loved to kill and has been repressing it all this time.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:59:38 AM by Trevorcard »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
I'm sad that they never got Crispin Freeman to actually voice Dracula proper. He voiced Mathias, but never Dracula.

Why Konami.

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
It would too reminiscent of Alucard (from anime :P) and would be pretty distracting. Would have loved Crispin Freeman in this game but man Lords of Shadows THEY DO LIKE THEIR BRIIIIIIITSH!