Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406212 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Nice News, but Montioring Cox's twitter reveals one big thing, he's being super quiet about MoF PC

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
2D Castlevania is really dead, isn't it? :(

Possibly not, but the original canon may be considering they apparently want to continue to milk the LOS saga.

But this is just a rumor at the moment.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:43:02 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
A prequel..?

Well that could be one of two things.

1. A Gabriel focused game that takes place pre-LoS, similar to how the MoF prologue was before LoS. Some other random demon will be the main bad guy, ending will be more standard fare Cv shit since he wont become dracula yet. maybe the ending seways into the murder of marie at his own hands.

2. A game about the founders, which I would be ALL for. I still want playable Zobek.

Nice News, but Montioring Cox's twitter reveals one big thing, he's being super quiet about MoF PC

From what i hear, they are not releasing it right along with the console versions because they want to release it later on "eventually" basically.

my bet's on a PC release around the time of LoS2's release.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)

Gabriel: Never. I'll never turn back to the Dark Side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Belmont, once more.
The Emperor: [angry] So be it... Belmont!
[BZZZZZT]

Reminds me too much of Zaed from Curse of Darkness

So maybe an open world was too much for ms then? Would not be the first time they cut down on stuff I remember MoF having things with the 3ds camera iirc.

It is probably as open world as Vampire's Masquerade - Bloodlines. Small, yet explorable but of course this game will be bigger in Size. I'm expecting Vice City or Infamous or just More buildings like Vampire's Masquarade.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:49:55 PM by Zetheraxza »

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
If Konami of Japan does get the series they should either make their own reboot or go back to the original canon IMO.

The LOS series was MercurySteam's thing, most of their fans probably would not feel at ease with Konami of Japan getting it anyway after LOS2, we already have members saying stuff about hoping that they don't turn the LOS series into a anime...

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
Oh I almost forgot, "he" appeared on /v/ again.

He says that Mercurysteam's next project is a sci fi action game for the PS4 and XB1.*coughcontracough*

And as for the future of Castlevania, he says that it's in the hands of Konami Japan now.

(click to show/hide)

I never would have imagined  ;D

There was even a meeting that was considered a bit "rough" for some "insistence/threat excessive by Konami JP, pressuring MS to continue with LOS ..... money call money..
Even talk year and a half ago (and now remains a possibility) the purchase of MS by Konami to have full control over future projects.

If Konami of Japan does get the series they should either make their own reboot or go back to the original canon IMO.

The LOS series was MercurySteam's thing, most of their fans probably would not feel at ease with Konami of Japan getting it anyway after LOS2, we already have members saying stuff about hoping that they don't turn the LOS series into a anime...

I'm with you. A LOS designed and made in Japan would be as hard as a SOTN done in the West.
Everyone who do what you do best. But other Western studies of Konami ...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:54:37 PM by Bergaron »
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
I'd actually kind of like to see Konami JP give a LoS game a try.

Personally, I'm kind of done with the old canon. Maybe not if they made a 1999 game, but everyone knows that's not going to be able to live up to the hype. At the same time, I don't want ANOTHER reboot since this one only lasted three games.

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards

Personally, I'm kind of done with the old canon. Maybe not if they made a 1999 game, but everyone knows that's not going to be able to live up to the hype. At the same time, I don't want ANOTHER reboot since this one only lasted three games.

Well just to point out, the Nolan Batman film series only lasted three films and they where pretty darn popular.

I personally think a good cut off for a reboot series is 3 entries.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Well just to point out, the Nolan Batman film series only lasted three films and they where pretty darn popular.

I personally think a good cut off for a reboot series is 3 entries.

Movies =/= games

I can't think of a movie series that has 18 entries, which is how many games there were in the old canon with a unique plot, and that's not counting the ones that were retconned out of it.

EDIT: Well, there is James Bond

EDIT EDIT: Additionally, the original Batman movie series was only 4 movies long, so it's not like there was a precedent for a long series
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:47:44 PM by e105beta »

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Well, if the franchise is going back into the hands of Konami Japan, I really hope they don't do continue the LoS saga. LoS is a western imagining and I don't think the people of Japan fully understand western culture well enough to do a good job. That said, I really don't think the LoS saga should be continued. It was meant to be 3 games, and it should stay as it was intended. If anything more is done with it, I could only see a prequel. And, if the happens, I think that MS should make it. The LoS saga was their imagining, they should be the ones to decide when it is concluded.

In reality, I would prefer it if Konami Japan just rebooted the series again, or if they gave it to another developer to reboot it and do their own thing. The old canon is dead and LoS is coming to a close with LoS2.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
I'm confused how some of yous say you won't want Konami to return to the old canon because "there's nothing left to explain/show, we already know what happens etc." but a prequel to LoS would be just as much redundant, because likewise we already know what happened to the Brotherhood, how things came to be, etc. so yeah. At that point it just boils down to, do you prefer coke or pepsi.

The best bet I think would be for them to make a canon that mirrors the classic timeline/story but doesn't strictly adhere to it. Ya know the same basic idea that was introduced in CVIII and onwards, Trevor being the first to kill Dracula, etc. but include a new take on things, different plots, gameplay, etc. That way it'll still feel familiar, yet new at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:59:06 PM by crisis »

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
Movies =/= games

I can't think of a movie series that has 18 entries, which is how many games there were in the old canon with a unique plot, and that's not counting the ones that were retconned out of it.

EDIT: Well, there is James Bond

EDIT EDIT: Additionally, the original Batman movie series was only 4 movies long, so it's not like there was a precedent for a long series

well doesn't matter film series,video games, tv shows or whatever, I was giving my personal opinion on reboots in general.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
I just want more ClassicVania.

Timeline, reboot, whatever. Just don't kill off the Castlevania I love, I beg of you Konami, LoS is neat but it doesn't have much to do with what I love about this series in the first place; the gameplay.
The best bet I think would be for them to make a canon that mirrors the classic timeline/story but doesn't strictly adhere to it. Ya know the same basic idea that was introduced in CVIII and onwards, Trevor being the first to kill Dracula, etc. but include a new take on things, different plots, gameplay, etc. That way it'll still feel familiar, yet new at the same time.
This is what I would really like to see happen. I didn't think they would ever go back to the old canon, but a fresh start again that gets this series back to what I love about it would be great.

LoS is done after LoS2, Dracula's story is finished. After LoS1 I learned my lesson about Castlevanias without Dracula in it. LoS3 being a prequel doesn't interest me at all, nor does an LoS3 for that matter.

I apologize if I come off as entitled in tone, but I'm just upset there is a possibility Konami is going to milk LoS after all. I had a feeling it would happen, but I wanted to hope it wouldn't.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:16:34 PM by OSM »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I wonder who this guy is? For a second I thought it was Dracula hopped up on roids:

Quote from:

Could be another vampire variation like the high vampires in MoF.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
To be honest a prequel of LoS with the origin of the lords, the bernhardts and frankenstein and the necromancer wars sounds good. But so does the demon castle wars so whatever.

(click to show/hide)

And I personally hope MercurySteam is bhought by Konami, they need an ambitious studio and Kinami gives them freedom they won't get in another publisher (that loves focus testing).

I think a second team of MS could keeo making castlevania game (the one from Mirror of Fate)

I dunno, future is equally uncertain and exciting for sure, anyway, we need this game to be a success.

Eeeh that guy is certainly Satan.

Everything comes full circle