Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406083 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Gotta feeling it's just a glorified Item Crash  o.o;;
It is the new dak crystal, but I have the feeling the dragon will be playable in the final battle.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Little Dracula

• Castlemaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Interview with Cox. He spoils the beginning of the game when you play as "decrepit" Dracula.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-08-the-god-of-war-comparisons-really-pissed-us-off

Offline SaibotMK

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Interview with Cox. He spoils the beginning of the game when you play as "decrepit" Dracula.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-08-the-god-of-war-comparisons-really-pissed-us-off

"a blink-style shadow movement ability"  ;D, I really hope that means what I think it does (dash = Teleport later in game).

Far as the god of war comparisons pissing them off, I understand that but they can't be that surprised. I know people who loved LoS 1 but still will compare it to GoW to a extent. Its the whip that does it.

That article was a good read, I do like the quality over duration approach. 10 to 15 hours into AC 4 you've played the entire game and your not even halfway through the story depending on how you play. You've played everything the game has to offer and not through with the main story, that is not a good thing. Trust me, I have 32 hours into AC 4, Man O Wars spawning all over the ocean, it is a very unchallenging game (Very). AC games are very repetitive, I will finish AC 4 because I paid $60 for it on Steam and need to finish it.

With that being said, a solid 20 hour challenging fun game with a good story and good progression is much better then a drawn out repetitive game with no progression. AC 4 has no progression, you are going from 4 cannons to 21, Mortar shot, heavy shot, fire barrels and hull upgrades. Its the same idea with Edward the character you play, your getting more of the same exact thing as you play the game.

Anyway, something to think about incase anyone (not that anyone is here that I've seen) thinking 20 hours is too short. A lot more rewards, challenge, progression then in a hyped up longer then fuck AC game I will tell you that, and I have not even played LoS 2 yet.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:23:49 AM by SaibotMK »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
I'm kind of giddy about the whole optional bosses thing. That's always been my favorite thing about exploration style games: optional bosses guarding awesome upgrades.

Exciting!

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Man I am super excited for this game  ;D A vampire that actually murders people, side missions and optional bosses and a interesting melding of scifi (mechs) with gothic. However I do think this game has a high chance of underselling. It seems in looking at comments through numerous articles you see two types other than fans of first game. Those who are Igrashi or Bust and a bunch of these types are even among some journalists with podcast like Joystiq saying the game started out as non Castlevania game and than there are those who don't know anything about the game, like they don't even know that it is in separate universe than the Classic timeline. Despite improvements I see game making over Lords of Shadow 1, there is generally lack of excitement for it in comparison to other releases in 2014.

Although Lords of Shadow 1 is highest selling Castlevania game apparently it still didn't sell that well in comparison to other high profile games, I remember when Tomb Raider the reboot sold 3 million and Square Enix considered that a failure. I think Mercury stream ending of series at 2 may have something to do with this even though I am glad they are because I rather see it end gloriously than milked to death. 

Do you guys think after seeing preview articles its going to review well and sell well?

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
If the game reviews well (it seems it will) it will sell well. Don't worry about the Tomb Raider case, it's all about the budget, wages in spain are less than in the uk, TR had lot's of licrnsing for engine and physics and of course an incredible marketing campaign. LOS 2 won't have thosr costs to recoup, and the PC versión will help those who already got into next gen. This last month will be critical. If they can market it well it will sell well, the premise is uncommon in videogames and pretty exciting, people could be interested only in the being a vampire in an open world, if they sell that they win.

And we too because we can kiss our series goodbye if it doesn't sell (konami exec: old series didn't sell, neither did new series, no market for it, kill it).

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
The thing is I hope journalists review it as its own thing which I think they will. It was issue with first of Lords of Shadow 1 but in fairness it was pretty drastic reboot to the series not that I am complaining. I think even developers acknowledge the criticism of Lords of Shadow 1: improving the combat, platforming, exploration and storytelling and setting it in more gothic environment. I do think reviews scores are really going to matter this time and game can't afford the game scores that Mirror of Fate got. The reviews would also need to dispel the notion that this game isn't GoW ripoff which Lords of Shadow 2 is really in my mind dispelling.
The weird thing is I still don't get why Konami executives are against making 2D titles in 3DS or in Xbox live or PSN . Surely there is big fan base for them and they will be get profits from it. You could make 3D titles but also make 2D ones as well, Konami is fucking weird.
Also on that scene of Dracula killing the family? It seems the previews are mixed one it with some thinking its just shock value while others really liking it. Wonder if people are going make huge ruckus over it when the game comes out.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
If the game reviews well (it seems it will) it will sell well.

Like Psychonauts, Okami, and the pre-Lords CV games.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Like Psychonauts, Okami, and the pre-Lords CV games.
Those are harder sells. We're talking about AAA open world be a vampire action game. That will surely get more attention than japanese paper graphics be a wolf rpg.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
We're talking about AAA open world be a vampire action game.

OKay, I want to e clarified properly here. How 'Open World' are we talking about here? I'm not talking about size but what scale of exploration is this according to the information we have? What game comes close to this?

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Hey look, it's the Chupacabra :P

OKay, I want to e clarified properly here. How 'Open World' are we talking about here? I'm not talking about size but what scale of exploration is this according to the information we have? What game comes close to this?
Ironically, Okami.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Well someone got upset that a vampire did a vampire thing and called it "rape". :rollseyes:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/yes-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-did-make-me-feel-uncomfortable-
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:21:00 PM by Kingshango »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Well someone got upset that a vampire did a vampire thing and called it "rape". :rollseyes:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/yes-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-did-make-me-feel-uncomfortable-
It's the USA. What did you expect, there's always a wacky conservative around.

Heeeeeeeey guys, I'm sure you'd love this :)

The old Castlevania staple of hearts as power-ups has returned all too literally, as Gabriel steals a human heart from an altar and eats it to raise his energy up again. The empty castle beckons you forward by how loud you can hear the ghosts of victims Gabriel’s brought back to his castle–including his own family–scream for release. The ghost voices eventually lead to a beast being formed from the rubble, scythe-wielding knights, some hectic platforming when one of the wings of the castle starts to collapse, and obtaining an ice dagger allowing you to freeze water and enemies at will. The way you get back out is by following an evil wolf spirit guide through the void.
http://www.chud.com/148391/mcp-early-impressions-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:39:41 PM by Ahasverus »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)

I'm sitting in a roundtable interview with a handful of journalists after having just spent more than an hour playing Lords of Shadow 2, the scene in question being one in which a withered Dracula stumbled toward a family with his arms outstretched, the camera abruptly switching to a first-person perspective. He kills the father outright, then grabs the mother and sinks his fangs into her neck, draining her life energy to restore his.

Sexualized imagery is nothing new in vampire fiction, but this scene is kind of stunning for how blatant it is with its allusions to rape.

I stopped reading there, she's fishing for hits. This is click-bait, anyone who thinks of this as an act of rape is deeply deluded or has never heard of vampires before.

I am so sick of reading about shit like this too, people have become way too sensitive lately to the dumbest things.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Heeeeeeeey guys, I'm sure you'd love this :)
http://www.chud.com/148391/mcp-early-impressions-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2/

Heh, a few years ago I made a joke that hearts might come back in LOS2 by having Dracula rip their hearts out and eat them.