Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406083 times)

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)

I don't understand how anyone who knew what the score of LOS was about could make a complaint that the songs weren't catchy. What were you expecting? Bloody tears to break or something?

Because it was not their thing, it was not to their liking, is that so hard to understand?

Some people like to play a castlevania game with different music in mind, it doesn't have to be Bloody tears are anything like that, as I said earlier its subjective really.

Its ok if you like that kind of hollwood score/ambient type of music in your CV games, others do not.

What LOS set out to do was its own thing which is understandable, it set out to have that type of musical score and it did what it set out to do perfectly, but it does not mean that people who know what the score set out to do should automatically be onboard with it, especially when they are accustomed to a different type of musical score in the series.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:09:55 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Watch out guys, Spain Killer isn't the only one with a copy of the game. The game has leaked out in certain places already so heads up.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I feel like I'm talking to myself here.

Stop using the word "catchy". I don't want catchy in lords of shadow, it obviously doesn't fit.
Music can be not "catchy" and still manage to not bore you to death. There is such thing as balance. Listen to Crystal Teardrops and you will get what I mean.

Am I the only one who thinks this way? Certainly not.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Watch out guys, Spain Killer isn't the only one with a copy of the game. The game has leaked out in certain places already so heads up.

Anyone in specific?

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Where?

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Anyone in specific?

Another review copy.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Another review copy.

(click to show/hide)

Ah, so /v/.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
I agree with you EstanbanT

In my personal taste, LOS was a good score, and not boring.

In that same taste, MOF was a boring score.

Maybe it was it was because the nature of the game was very different, but maybe not.

Because it was not their thing, it was not to their liking, is that so hard to understand?

Some people like to play a castlevania game with different music in mind, it doesn't have to be Bloody tears are anything like that, as I said earlier its subjective really.

Its ok if you like that kind of hollwood score/ambient type of music in your CV games, others do not.

What LOS set out to do was its own thing which is understandable, it set out to have that type of musical score and it did what it set out to do perfectly, but it does not mean that people who know what the score set out to do should automatically be onboard with it, especially when they are accustomed to a different type of musical score in the series.

I'm not sure if you're actually reading what I'm saying or not.
I didn't say everyone had to like it. I said complaining about it for not having catchy songs is complaining about the wrong thing. If you want to criticize it objectively, then criticize it for what it is. For example, complaining that the moods don't always match up, or that the vibe was wrong. They did not intend to put catchy upbeat music in LOS. If you don't like that, that's fine, but that doesn't mean that the score was a failure, or a low point in the series. It means that you just don't like the angle they took. Many long time fans like myself appreciate that they did something different with LOS.

I am clearly saying here that it's fine if people disagree with the angle they took. Meaning it's fine if it's not "their thing".

What is irritating to me is when someone tries to critique the score under the pretense of it being something other than what it is meant to be. I also find it irritating when people throw this term "hollywood" around. All styles and genres of music are used in films. Elctronic, rock, blue grass, virtually everything. There is no typical score for films. Fully orchestrated music that doesn't follow a traditional structure is not the default definition of a score for film.

No one is debating that music is subjective. Everyone likes different things, that is fine.

If you still don't see what I'm trying to say then I'm going to give up, because this is getting exhausting.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Awesome, bring on the gameplay footage.

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Awesome, bring on the gameplay footage.

Give it a week or so, I can feel the water running.

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards

If you still don't see what I'm trying to say then I'm going to give up, because this is getting exhausting.

lol some people take this stuff to seriously.

Your getting irritated and exhausted over a discussion about a video game's music score?

Just go ahead and give up then if its getting to you so much.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards

Your getting irritated and exhausted over a discussion about a video game's music score?

???
Its pretty irritating to have people not acknowledge your points at all. I too am getting exahusted of this argument getting nowhere. And im not taking it too seriously, as i'm sure neither is he... But wasting time talking to nobody sucks.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
@Alucard It's because you haven't understood that music does not consist on catchyness and that there is a reason why cellphone ringtones don't have award ceremonies, because music goes deeper than that. I'd suggest you to read the review and understand the professional critic angle and then decide if you agree or disagree with it.

About the leaks, stop giving me false hopes  :P

Everything comes full circle

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
@Alucard It's because you haven't understood that music does not consist on catchyness and that there is a reason why cellphone ringtones don't have award ceremonies, because music goes deeper than that. I'd suggest you to read the review and understand the professional critic angle and then decide if you agree or disagree with it.

Lol how did I fail to understand?

Did all of you guys miss the part of my post earlier where i pointed out that LOS's score set out to do something different with its score it and did it perfectly?

I never said that because it did not have any catchy tunes that the soundtrack was not deep or had no meaning to it, I only gave my opinion on what I as well as others expect from a CV soundtrack and why its so off putting to some.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 04:33:39 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards

No. I'm getting exhausted because you keep missing my point! But I just downed a monster, so...

I'm musician and writer myself, so I am very passionate about music. Castlevania has been my favorite video game music for over 20 years, so I get especially passionate about this games music. 

I am also currently making music for a fan Castlevania game. I spend hours at work each day analyzing the different music of the series over the years. I appreciate all of it and I make a real effort to understand the motive of the different composers.

I will admit that I may be a little obsessed right now, and overly sensitive to the topic of CV music. But damn it, I can't help it!

The worst monsters are human.

anything