Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406106 times)

Offline dienekes96

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
- ... but if your a fan of the first game, you'll love LOS2
That is more than enough for me.  Apologies that my first post is essentially a "me too", but after the initial 6 from GI, I started to worry a bit.  This is my most anticipated game since the LOS2 teaser hit in the late spring of 2012.  That is a long time to wait, so I'd like the wait to be worth it.

It is nice to temper expectations, but I'd still like to be excited.  Although a bit self-serving, if the game works for the fans of LoS, I'll consider that a rousing success.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
1 thing i do miss about the metroid-style games, are all the unique death animations. i love how every enemy either had a quick death with their limbs flailing, or a long drawn-out bloodbath screaming loudly, and everything in between

its a shame we'll prolly never see little details like this again (or at least, in the 3D games)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
1 thing i do miss about the metroid-style games, are all the unique death animations. i love how every enemy either had a quick death with their limbs flailing, or a long drawn-out bloodbath screaming loudly, and everything in between

its a shame we'll prolly never see little details like this again (or at least, in the 3D games)
Baffles me why they never chose to follow up SotN with another Metroidvania on the PS1(or even PS2). It was like, "Okay, Castlevania team, you guys did good with SotN! Made the CV series cool again and made the CV series interesting to new fans... so work on handheld games! Yup!". Don't get me wrong, I love the handheld games(some more than others), but I think how much cooler it would've been if IGA wasn't pushed(or pushed himself) to do two mediocre 3D CV game and spent that budget and effort doing some pretty quality 2D CV stuff for the PS2. Is it really because Sony had some beef against non-3D games(strange because of games like Odin Sphere, Guilty Gear and such, which utilize 2D graphics)? If so, I can't help to think anybody that subscribed to that notion hindered the great things that could've been. Hell, I still feel that way now regarding some things with the newere consoles(and how some people think you should ONLY make games for them if "these" qualifications are met). Such mind set is poisonous to all.

Offline TheAcer

• Awards
I'm getting the impression that MS shot themselves in the foot by adding badly implemented stealth sections/mechanics into the game. If that's the case, it's ironic as they had easy access to MGS veteran devs or god damn Hideo Kojima himself to ask for advice from.

I wouldn't be surprised if this game generally gets 6s and 7s from reviewers across the board because of this matter.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Baffles me why they never chose to follow up SotN with another Metroidvania on the PS1(or even PS2). It was like, "Okay, Castlevania team, you guys did good with SotN! Made the CV series cool again and made the CV series interesting to new fans... so work on handheld games! Yup!". Don't get me wrong, I love the handheld games(some more than others), but I think how much cooler it would've been if IGA wasn't pushed(or pushed himself) to do two mediocre 3D CV game and spent that budget and effort doing some pretty quality 2D CV stuff for the PS2. Is it really because Sony had some beef against non-3D games(strange because of games like Odin Sphere, Guilty Gear and such, which utilize 2D graphics)? If so, I can't help to think anybody that subscribed to that notion hindered the great things that could've been. Hell, I still feel that way now regarding some things with the newere consoles(and how some people think you should ONLY make games for them if "these" qualifications are met). Such mind set is poisonous to all.

I actually think it was a very good idea to make 3D on consoles and 2D on handhelds. Even now I think they should keep doing that. Especially with modern handhelds. I just think Iga and his henchmen fucked it up as far as the 3D goes.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I actually think it was a very good idea to make 3D on consoles and 2D on handhelds. Even now I think they should keep doing that. Especially with modern handhelds. I just think Iga and his henchmen fucked it up as far as the 3D goes.
I don't. I think IGA and his team just weren't capable of doing good 3D, regardless. It's one of those, "Stick to what you're good at." situations. Same for MS regarding MoF. IMO, 3D ideals just don't work on a 2D plane(which WAS MoF in a nutshell, a 2D game that tried to play like the 3D LoS game that came before it). Now, I'm not saying there shouldn't have ben any movement to establish the series in 3D, it just shouldn't have been done by IGA. The thing is, handheld-wise, even his best DS CVs(even GBA ones) feel limited, IMO. It's like, they could've been so much more had they been given the budget of SotN and the graphics and sound quality of a PS1 or even a PS2 game.

Offline Little Dracula

• Castlemaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #6022 on: February 09, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »

As soon as I got to the part where he says "It's a decent God of War clone" I immediatly stopped reading. Jeff Cork is now on my reviewer shit list.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:41:00 PM by Kingshango »

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER I
« Reply #6023 on: February 09, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
As soon as I got to the part where he says "It's a decent God of War clone" I immediatly stopped reading. Jeff Cork is now on my reviewer shit list.

You would think someone who gets paid to review videogames would know enough about videogame history to know not every hack and slash is a god of war clone....

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I'm so sick of that comparison.

The first time I played a God of War game one of the first things I said to my brother was, "Wow, this really reminds me of a Castlevania game."

It's like saying Paul McCartney's new music is an Oasis clone. Come on people!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)

My guess is they wanted to bring the SoTN gameplay style to handhelds, and when the first two did well, (one not being an IGA game) Aria happened.

I guess they decided to stick to handhelds to be safe after that, or the games started selling less than SoTN, and by Dawn, just got stuck there because they stopped moving the same numbers, and the 3D experiments kept failing, and they probably figured that a 2D game on the PS2 wouldn't work.

basically, a downward spiral from one harmless idea of going handheld.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Don't rely on reviews only. Be your own judge.

That goes for everything in you life too.

Offline Slit_Zurifa

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Is the link to that /v/ thread with CV Infos  for anyone else not working anymore?  :-\

Offline cerebralbore

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)

A three paragraph review, woau, the most profesional and serious review that I have ever read (shit, I lost 2 minutes of my life).

Offline Slit_Zurifa

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Hey there.
I've got an important question regarding that thread on /v/ with the reviewer: He didn't answer my question yet. Actually no new questions showed up at all. I can hardly imagine that noone else posted anything new. Is it becauseit is an Archive link and it only Shows the entire discussion till this oint. While I could post a question it is marked as a ghost reply whateve this is supposed to mean.

So if it still goes on somewhere how can I find it? 4chan looks so unorganized with stuff being posted about all sort of things.
Any tips for me? :)

anything