Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2406045 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Reviews that don't tell me what I want to hear are obviously terrible and written by poopie faces.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
15 days left and not a lot has leaked out, surprising.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Lol how so?

we are referring to game mechanics after all, the look and feel of swinging a leather whip on the 3.D plane is obviously different than swinging a chain one.

Just compare LOI and LOS gameplay mechanics to see what I meant.

My point is obviously going over your head, my point is that you can't use those 3 castlevania games as a basis to your argument of 3.D castlevania games being out before God of War and thus the LOS series did not take inspiration from it when really those three have nothing to do with the gameplay mechanic God of War and the LOS series happen to share.

Castlevania had 3D third person action adventure hack and slashes first.  Castlevania chain whips, secondary weapons, combos, puzzles, platforming, relics... Even Greek mythology first... I wonder who took inspiration from whom...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:56:09 PM by EstebanT »

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
Castlevania had 3D third person action adventure hack and slashes first.  Castlevania chain whips, secondary weapons, combos, puzzles, platforming, relics... Even Greek mythology first... I wonder who took inspiration from whom...

Lol no one is arguing the fact that God of War took some inspiration from Castlevania, in fact the creators of God of War even admit this.

What we are talking about now is you trying to deny that LOS took some inspiration from God of War, namely the chain whipping combat which causes many fans to point that out (much to some LOS fans dismay).

The whole point I was making earlier was you could not use those 3 games you listed when it had nothing to do with what people use to draw the comparison of LOS to GOW since neither of those 3 you listed had chain whipping combat mechanics.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Lol no one is arguing the fact that God of War took some inspiration from Castlevania, in fact the creators of God of War even admit this.

What we are talking about now is you trying to deny that LOS took some inspiration from God of War, namely the chain whipping combat which causes many fans to point that out (much to some LOS fans dismay).

The whole point I was making earlier was you could not use those 3 games you listed when it had nothing to do with what people use to draw the comparison of LOS to GOW since neither of those 3 you listed had chain whipping combat mechanics.

Lords of Shadow looks like Castlevania via God of War proxy?

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
Lords of Shadow looks like Castlevania via God of War proxy?

.....no

What drove you to that conclusion is beyond me.

I'm merely trying to help you understand where the comparison to God of War is coming from.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
.....no

What drove you to that conclusion is beyond me.

I'm merely trying to help you understand where the comparison to God of War is coming from.

You said Lords of Shadow looks like God of War, and God of War took inspiration and looks like Castlevania.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Of Course GoW, DmC, and LoS are going to be similar, did anyone forget that LoS is a Hack~n~Slash game? I know Cox said it was a million times now...

Rygar for Ps2 has Chain Physics 3 years before God of War, hell it has many elements that God of war has and did it better.

Just because A is more popular than B, and B is similar, does NOT mean B ripped off A.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
You said Lords of Shadow looks like God of War, and God of War took inspiration and looks like Castlevania.

I never said that, I said Lords of Shadow took inspiration from a gameplay mechanic used in God of War.

I never said that it looked like God of War and vice versa.

Look at it this way, LOS took gameplay inspiration from GOW while GOW took some aesthetic aspects from the previous CV games before it.

Thats not simply saying one looks like the other and so on.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
I think everyone just needs to agree that:

1. Castlevania had chain whips long before God of War
2. Castlevania and Rygar did 3D whip-like combat before God of War, but Castlevania's 3D outings stuck with leather whips
3. Castlevania helped inspire God of War, which the God of War devs have admitted
4. God of War stylized and popularized 3D combat using chain weapons
5. Lords of Shadow borrowed God of War's combat style and built on it

That's what game design is: it's iterative. Iteration after iteration after iteration. It's basically volley ball with design ideas. That's how genres get better, by borrowing ideas from previous games either in their own series or in rival series to create more fun, compelling gameplay.

Originality is overrated, and gameplay "purity" only works for Mario.

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards

2. Castlevania and Rygar did 3D whip-like combat before God of War, but Castlevania's 3D outings stuck with leather whips
3. Castlevania helped inspire God of War, which the God of War devs have admitted

agreed! ;D

Especially with 2,4 and 5 which was the main parts of my point that I was trying to get across through this whole thing that has dragged on for to long.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Sorry if I continue with all the stuff regarding GoW-LoS comparition... But I can´t be still without said my opinion...

The main complaint to me, to refer LoS a very similar game to GoW is not the whip-chain mechanic, no... is everything else!: the not-free camera from the first LoS, the ambience music, the QTE, the beast riding, the chain to move across obstacles, the fact that to have more energy, you must get a determined quantity of items (and for energy and magic, by the way), the puzzles (too much in the end, in my opinion)... We will see the diferences of LoS1 to LoS2 when we see Dracula and his blood whip :P in action...

...If DMC, PS2 Rygar, or the pre-3d Castlevanias has all that elements, to me they are all GoW clones... but they do not have it. And lets not talk about other games influences (PoP, SotC), because is pretty clear to the most of us here that.
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I think everyone just needs to agree that:

That's what game design is: it's iterative. Iteration after iteration after iteration. It's basically volley ball with design ideas. That's how genres get better, by borrowing ideas from previous games either in their own series or in rival series to create more fun, compelling gameplay.

Originality is overrated, and gameplay "purity" only works for Mario.

I agree. But please expand on number #5. Other than beast riding I see nothing else borrowed from the God of War series as far as combat goes.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I agree. But please expand on number #5. Other than beast riding I see nothing else borrowed from the God of War series as far as combat goes.

Hmm, the combat mechanics: the parry system? The relics? The way you make some puzzles? Ok, I understand...
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
I liked when we had this debate.
In 2008.

Everything comes full circle

anything